About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > GameCritics.com Discussion > Community User Submissions

Notices

Old 01-13-2010, 03:40 PM   #1
Lloydy
New Poster

Please Rate This Review: Metal Gear Solid: Guns of the Patriots

Im not going to bore with the storyline, it would seriously take up this entire review; I will say that it carries on from MGS 2: Son's of Liberty. You find yourself in the shoes of the one and only Solid Snake (now dubbed Old Snake), whom must end his twin brothers reign of evil, which sees him take control of an ID tag system that if manipulated, it would see the world crumble and ensure that good old Liquid Snake/Ocelot takes control over every army and gun with this patented system.

Sneaking up upon your enemies has been a staple routine on MGS and nothing has changed this time round. Taking down your enemies with a ninja like approach or using your very expansive arsenal at will also takes affect, and Konami seem to have found a very decent balance this time round with stealth and the gung-ho approach both taking turns in a way that kept me entertained and satisfied in equal measure.

However shooting, for me, it didnít impress much. It felt stiff and tight, I couldnít run and shoot which particularly annoyed me as it was difficult to run for cover and shoot at what was in front of you. A little frustrating as the game needs this to feel a little more fluid.

On my first run through it felt like I never had to wait years between releases. The weapon and inventory structure in place has been a benchmark throughout the series and even to the new, it feels very natural and smooth as youíre eased into the fray, guided through your first steps. MGS fans will feel at home instantly as control and movement alike hasnít changed, manipulating your environment however, has seen a little tweak. In previous, Snake needed to use objects to manoeuvre around the map and take down your targets, which possessed its own challenges, but now sees a very handy stealth camo called Octocamo, imaginative, added to your inventory. An upgrade from the one used in MGS 3, use this to blend into the environments around you, crouch up against a wall and this gadget will see you blend in with the colour and make it very difficult for your enemies to spot you, just think of yourself as a killing chameleon with a very mean agenda. Yet I felt as though it took away the stealth factor in my playing, it was far to easy just to stand next to a wall and blend in and I didnít get that same feeling as I have in previous where I had to sit and plot my kills, it was a little, well boring really.

Donít get me wrong, going around breaking these guys necks or using my M16 to rip through a posse of bad guys is immensely fun, but just something didnít feel right, something felt missing, I just couldnít place my finger on it. So comes the first boss, Laughing Octopus. She was taken down with relative ease once I found the Ďnicheí to killing her, but itís was a very limp, boring and nothing like the bosses of old. This carried on throughout the game, very weak bosses with very similar back stories and no real challenge to them in any way. It was major disappointed as the series has always had the best bosses with imaginative back stories and which were equally as tough.

Regardless of that, what I got was an impressive yet immensely deep story line and mammoth cut scenes. I have always loved MGS for its story telling and character evolvement and I wasnít disappointed this time around either, having said that, MGS 4 took things to a whole new level, plus five. What I got was in fact a whole movie wrapped up with the occasional killing spree, seriously the cut scenes go on forever and do get a little tiring as I found that more time was spent watching Snake figure out what his nemesis is upto and how to stop him, than actually playing as him, it easily could have been cut down by 1 or 2 hours and it still would of been as fulfilling. It really did slow the pace of the game down for me and for all it answered questions, I was left scratching my head as I just really couldnít comprehend what was going on, it was far to complex and really didnít make sense, I want a game that challenges my brain, not destroy it.

For MGS fans though, (SPOLIER) these cut scenes did tie up the whole saga and with all the loose ends finally being cut, it was the perfect way to finish the series and put Old Snake to bed and start a fresh. People that have followed Snake from the start will feel as though all there prayers (and questions) have been answered. My only criticism would be of the bosses. Compared to previous MGS titles, the bosses seem uninspired, fruitless and unrewarding, a shame given a game of such quality and sophistication.

I really want to give it an 11, but unfortunately no such thing exists and it would have been a very big understatement if I did, so my only option is a 10. Its really easy to give a game such a score as youíve got brilliant and I mean superb graphics, very addictive gameplay, lots of guns with a complex and far fetched story line, its certainly ended on a high and defines the franchise as one the most creative, well thought out games in my lifetime.

Itís a game for the fans, but for players that are unfamiliar with Snake series you could easily jump in and have great fun with; just the story line may baffle a little. Nevertheless itís a brilliant game and one that developers should use as reference when creating there own story lines and characters. The Metal Gear series constantly pushes in the creativity steaks with storylines that any Hollywood producer would be proud of. Itís innovating with added class and swagger, a very immense experience and one of the finest games to ever grace any console. I see it as an epic of a game and nothing short of pure genius. Amazing

Overall 10/10

Disclosures: This game was obtained via retail store and reviewed on PS3. Approximately 18 hours of play was devoted to single-player modes (completed 2 times) and 0 hours of play to multiplayer modes.

Parents: Swear words with blood and with strong violence

Deaf and Hard of Hearing: Loud audio with subtitles upon request.

Last edited by Lloydy; 01-15-2010 at 02:17 PM. Reason: feedback
Lloydy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 01:06 AM   #2
coyls3
32-bit Poster

Re: Please Rate This Review: Metal Gear Solid: Guns of the Patriots

"MGS 2: Sons of the Patriots."

I think you mean Son's of Liberty.

I would trim it down to around 1000 words and proof read it a little more.

also, try not to use second person. Instead of describing the game to the reader, it's better to talk about your personal experience with it.
coyls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2010, 02:26 PM   #3
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

ditto what Coyls said. he's tha man for feedback.
Old 01-15-2010, 01:23 PM   #4
Lloydy
New Poster

yeah not 100% sure where the MGS2 bit cam from.

just over a 1000 words sorted, but im a little confused as to what you guys want from me here. Im writing a review on a game that in eyes no one knows about, so i do write a little about the game, i add my own experiences as in what i like and dislike.

Im trying not to write in the second person, im finding that my style is the above, and ive come to this by reading reviews from my favorite magazines and i like their style, ha this sounds like copying, what i mean is they describe the game to me aswell as telling me their opinions

i dont mean to sound rude, i really dont as i need feedback to become a better writer, but is this your own opinion or the one of many readers??

thanks
Old 01-15-2010, 02:19 PM   #5
Lloydy
New Poster

tweaked and resubmitted
Old 01-29-2010, 05:00 PM   #6
coyls3
32-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lloydy View Post
yeah not 100% sure where the MGS2 bit cam from.

just over a 1000 words sorted, but im a little confused as to what you guys want from me here. Im writing a review on a game that in eyes no one knows about, so i do write a little about the game, i add my own experiences as in what i like and dislike.

Im trying not to write in the second person, im finding that my style is the above, and ive come to this by reading reviews from my favorite magazines and i like their style, ha this sounds like copying, what i mean is they describe the game to me aswell as telling me their opinions

i dont mean to sound rude, i really dont as i need feedback to become a better writer, but is this your own opinion or the one of many readers??

thanks
It's just the way it's done on this site. Every site has their own format for writers to follow, and no two sites are the same. At this site, they want writers to talk about their personal experiences with a game instead of just telling readers about a game and saying it's good or bad. You can some up the nuts and bolts of a game in a paragraph. Instead of talking to the reader, write like your talking to yourself. Instead of using words like "you," use words like "the player" or "I." To get a better grasp of the way reviews are written here, I recommend reading the review guidelines and reading through some of the published reviews on this site.

As for the review:

1) you're missing a thesis statement. Think as though your writing a paper for an English class; you need a thesis statement, and the content of the review should support your thesis. This will also keep your reviews from reading like a laundry list.

2) You talk about the first boss fight in one paragraph, then talk about your disappointment with the other boss fights in another. I suggest keeping your ideas consolidated.

3) you give the game a 10/10. a 10 game is as perfect as a game can get at it's time of release. In your review, you state that you have issues with the boss fights, the shooting mechanics, and the cut-scenes could have been shortened and sometimes left you scratching your head. That doesn't sound like a 10 game to me.

At this site, the game scale is a little different than the one you will find at Gamespot or IGN. At most sites, a 7 is the average. Here, the entire 1-10 scale is used so a 5 would be the average.

there is no grading scale posted here, but here's the one from rpgland. It's pretty close to the way games are graded here and may help you.

http://rpgland.com/criteria/
coyls3 is offline   Reply With Quote