About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Industry News

Notices

Old 08-16-2006, 03:51 PM   #1
FidgetyAcolyte
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to FidgetyAcolyte
Top Xbox 1 single player games

Alright, I recently posted the thread about buying an xbox 360 vs. a PS3, and I seemed completely convinced that I was gonna buy a 360, until I realized that almost all of the games are still $60, and only a handful are $30, no cheaper.

As a cheap gamer who usually only purchases games when they drop below the $20 point (which I think is also the cause for my growing back-catalog of unplayed games), This doesn't bode well with me. That, and there are only about 3 games currently that I would feel like playing. Also, just moving into my new apartment, and about to start the hardest semester of my life, I figured that it would not be the appropriate time to purchase a 360 from which I could not get my money's worth yet. Later, I will definitely get one, especially after holiday season's hordes of great games coming out.

However, I do think I will finally breakdown and buy an Xbox 1, or do we just call it Xbox. I have a few games in mind that I always wished I had played, such as the Otogi games and Panzer Dragoon Orta, that were exclusive. And now I'm realizing that my beloved Gamecube third party games are never going to drop to $20 anytime soon, so the Xbox would be perfect for buying any missed third party must-haves (Such as Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction!).

Alas, here is my question:

What are, in the Gamecritics community opinion, the best single player games for the Xbox?

I ask single player, because I do not really feel like signing up for xbox live, especially since everyone out there now has either mastered the games i'd play, or the userbase has died.

A few I've already decided:

Breakdown
Star Wars: Republic Commando
Ninja Gaiden
Ninja Gaiden Black (is this one different from the first)?
Special Forces: Nemesis Strike (at Brad's request a la kill.switch comparison)
Crimson Skies
PoP 2&3
Psychonauts
Deathrow
Area 51
Deus Ex: Invisible War
Thief: Deadly Shadows
Castlevania: Curse of Darkness
Tenchu: Return From Darkness
Mercenaries
Oddworld: Stranger
FidgetyAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 04:22 PM   #2
Gouty
I don't even like Pokemon

Re: Top Xbox 1 single player games

Ninja Gaiden was my favorite game of the entire last generation of consoles. Surprisingly I never played Black, but from what I read it was more of the same, just more difficult. More difficulty isn't what this game needs, buy the original for sure though.
Otogi 1&2 were certainly lookers for their time, but ultimately are pretty bland in the fighting department when compared to something as deep and visceral as Ninja Gaiden. Pass on the first, maybe check out the second one.
Prince of Persia 1 was another winner, though I never played the second two. Get it.
Panzer Dragoon Orta is a really slick shooter that I highly enjoyed. Get it, there may never be another.
Fable was a decent little adventure RPG, though it didn't even come close to what was promised. In looking back nothing really stands out about it. Pass
Project Gotham Racing 2/Rallisport Challenge 2 are two of the best racing games I've ever played, and considering how many I've played, that's saying something. I know they're both dirt cheap, buy them.
Gouty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 04:45 PM   #3
FidgetyAcolyte
64-bit Poster

I had previously planned on the racing games, but I wanted to try to only get games taht I could or should get on Xbox. I can get games like Rallisport Challenge and Project Gotham on the Xbox 360 when I purchase that later, but I can't play Breakdown on the 360, or anywhere else.
Old 08-16-2006, 06:12 PM   #4
Mike Doolittle
Telling people how it is

Send a message via AIM to Mike Doolittle

I would add, in order of must-play-ness:

1. Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay (it's worth buying an Xbox for this game alone).

2. Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory

3. Project Gotham 2

4. If you haven't played them on the PC, pick up Half-Life 2 and Doom 3.

And Ninja Gaiden Black is basically an upgraded, expanded version of the first. You don't need both.

My MySpace Page
My Gaming PC Blog
Mike Doolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 06:19 PM   #5
FidgetyAcolyte
64-bit Poster

i Have played Half Life 2 and Chronicles of Riddick, both on PC, although I might get/replay riddick on Xbox, because it seemed kinda odd playing on the PC.

Hows is the Xbox version of Doom 3? Is it plagued with slowdown or anything? or is it equally as beautiful as the PC version?
Old 08-16-2006, 06:41 PM   #6
David Stone
One of uuuuuuussss....

Rep Power: 19 David Stone is an unknown quantity at this point

You don't need to play Castlevania if you have the choice. There are far better games out there for the Xbox.
David Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 06:48 PM   #7
Sajon
128-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Sajon

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledoc
1. Chronicles of Riddick: Escape from Butcher Bay (it's worth buying an Xbox for this game alone).
I have to second Chronicles or Riddick. I played it on PC, and it is one of the best games of the past few years. It is better than a game based on Riddick has any right to be. It (shockingly) bests Deus Ex in terms of providing an immersive combination of RPG and FPS. It's an absolute class act all the way. Right from the brilliant "tutorial" sequence, it's clear Riddick's developers are determined to go the extra mile (or 3 or 4) to make this more than just some lame movie license.

-Matt
Sajon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:32 PM   #8
sleeveboy
VISUALSHOCK!

Halo (no-brainer)
Halo 2 (ditto)
Freedom Fighters (if you haven't already played it on another platform)
Galleon (ditto)

A word of caution: many of the good single-player games are not yet backwards compatible on the 360. Something to keep in mind if you plan to upgrade.

Quote:
I ask single player, because I do not really feel like signing up for xbox live, especially since everyone out there now has either mastered the games i'd play, or the userbase has died.
Halo 2 still has a huge player base, and it's the best online multiplayer game currently in existence. Chaos Theory isn't too shabby either.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:50 PM   #9
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Argh.. i saw this thread at work and i don't have my notes. i'll post some recommends later, but i will say...

skip:
Breakdown (great idea, crap implementation)
Republic Commando (brainless and repetitive)
Ninja Gaiden, any version (i'm continually stunned that anyone thinks this game is good)
Psychonauts (not very funny, not very fun)
Castlevania (junk)
Tenchu (so last-gen it's not funny)

Crimson Skies is great, the PoP games are worthy, Oddworld Stranger was superb, both Otogis are good, Orta is sweet, Galleon is really nice, Freedom Fighters is fun, the Hitman games are good... i'll recommend a few more tonight.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:57 PM   #10
Adelleda
Is that a Panther?

Send a message via MSN to Adelleda

Quote:
Halo 2 still has a huge player base, and it's the best online multiplayer game currently in existence.
*Ahem* Did counterstrike cease to exist? If you want an online FPS then Valve are the people to supply it.

As i said in a previous thread, theres nothing halo does that half life didn't do with a Marginally better story half a decade before. Infact, my little brother could have scripted Halo, and whats left without the story? Oh...shooting things.....aimlessly
Adelleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:11 PM   #11
Mike Doolittle
Telling people how it is

Send a message via AIM to Mike Doolittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelleda
*Ahem* Did counterstrike cease to exist? If you want an online FPS then Valve are the people to supply it.
That assumes you like being capped in a single shot. Honestly, CS has been around for so long (too long) that its community is pretty well established and full of veterans. If you're a noob, prepare to take a beating.

My MySpace Page
My Gaming PC Blog
Mike Doolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 09:21 PM   #12
sleepy
GTACKMA

If you like RPGs, Jade Empire is funner & prettier than KOTOR. Morrowind is alright also but is more like a scenic tour than a game. Probably more of a time sink than you want.

If you are gonna get a PGR game, get the first, not the second. Framerate is much higher. If you like racing games, check out Rallisport Challenge also. That series, you should get the second one.

Few better casual sports games out there than Outlaw Volleyball even if all the skanky hos are a little embarassing. Another top contender is Deathrow.

Of the two Oddworlds, I actually like Munch's Oddysee better, but both are decent.

Total Overdose, though not an Xbox console exclusive, is great fun. It's GTA + actually fun gameplay.

Finally I know everyone has said this but I gotta put in another word for Riddick....it's the best single-player story-based console game ever made.

Stay away from:

Broken Sword, hailed by critics as the best adventure game on the Xbox but slow boring and painfully unfunny nonetheless.

Mark Ecko's Getting Up, a platformer with controls that simulate waving your hands at a feather to make it float in the direction you want.

GTA...you could get this, or you could get Total Overdose instead and have way more fun.

KOTOR II....an uglier retread of the original. Pick up Jade Empire instead.

Doom 3...yawn, as boring as it is shiny
sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 10:33 PM   #13
gamevet

Airforce Delta Storm: I enjoyed this one, more than the Ace Combat games. Unique levels include: Shooting down a falling satellite, stopping a train and entering a base inside of a mountain.

Shenmue 2: If you haven't played this on the DC, it's not a bad choice for the price. You could probably pick this title up for under $10 used.

Outrun 2 - Coast to coast: Not the best racer, but it's still a fun arcade style racer.

Star Wars- Jedi Knight 2: If you haven't played the PC version, this one looks and plays very well.

Moto GP series: Superbikes and super graphics. Plays better than Polyphony Digital's offering on the PS2.

Burnout 3 - Takedown/Revenge: Sure this a great multiplayer game, that doesn't mean that the 1 player version isn't any fun. It's a blast either way.

Forza Motorsports: This is what Gran Tourismo should have been. Forget all the licensing crap and just trick out, paint and race. Great racing game!
gamevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 12:14 AM   #14
FidgetyAcolyte
64-bit Poster

Lets see. Of course I've heard of Halo 1&2, but I agree with Adellada. I've both Half Life 2 and CS to fill that void, and I never really liked waht I played of Halo. I also don't wanna pay or deal with setting up xbox live on a nearly dead console.

Galleon: Adding to the list.

Jade Empire: I was considering this one as well. Its not too terribly long is it? I'm gonna have a lot of games on my plate. I'm kinda hoping none of my picks are too long. I don't mind a short game, since I'll probably be playing under $20 for most.

Broken Sword: I have it for PC, but its rather difficult ot play with a keyboard, I might buy the Xbox version (sorry sleepy) so I can use a joystick and my TV. As far as adventure's go, how is Syberia?

Airforce Delta Storm: I've always wanted to pick this up, but all the reviews seem to not recommend it. And the mountain base flying, satellite chasing, and train-stopping were in Ace Combat 4 and 5, which I already own, but if this is a good game, I might pick it up as well.

A lot of games that are top rated on Xbox already have later, better iterations for the 360, thats why I'm holding off on Forza, Burnout, PGR, and the like. I'd hate to cut down the already limited library of the 360 before I buy it.

Thanks for everyone's input so far!

Please, keep'em comin! I'd hate to miss out on a whole system's worth of gems.

EDIT! -- Here's my list so far:

Ninja Gaiden Black
Prince of Persia: Warrior Within
Prince of Persia: Two Thrones
Crimson Skies
Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction
Psychonauts
Mercenaries
Star Wars Republic Commando
Deathrow
MGS2:Substance
Oddworld Stranger
Breakdown
Otogi 1
Otogi 2
Theif: Deadly Shadows
Deus Ex: Invisible War
Area 51
Rugby 06
Tenchu: Return From Darkness
Special Forces: Nemesis Strike
Galleon
Jade Empire
Airforce Delta Storm
Gunvalkyrie
Broken Sword/Syberia

I know some that you guys don't recommend are still on there, but they have piqued my interest for quite a while, and if I get them on the cheap, I feel like I just gotta play'em.

Last edited by FidgetyAcolyte; 08-17-2006 at 12:22 AM.
Old 08-17-2006, 03:21 AM   #15
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy

Jet Set Radio Future, x100. I felt that it was the superior of the two Jet-Set games, if only becuase it had a much better flow.

And I cannot recommend Kingdom Under Fire enough. A flawed gem. And by flawed, I mean totally, rock-your-pants-off awesome. Just mentioning it here makes me want to pop it in and play it right now, which I would, but I have already dominated it. Oh, and the County Carnival minigame kicks ass as well.
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote