About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Everything Else

Notices

View Poll Results: Does Life Have a Purpose
Yes. 8 40.00%
No. 12 60.00%
I can't call it. 0 0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-29-2006, 11:12 PM   #46
shun
Ahoy there, fancy pants!

Re: Does life have a purpose?

I've been told from someone that you said something totally nasty about me. SO I decided to unblock you for this post and see what kind of vitriols you have thrown.

I only have one thing I can comment on:

10 times my senior? You? I don't get it. What's your definition of what constitutes a 10-times-seniority? Age? Well, clearly this link proves you're just as young as I am.

Ok. So maybe it's about how long we've been in gamecritics. My join date says I've been here only last year. So if you're really such a smart aleck, let me ask you: ever heard of members like Thawson13, Cheesemiester, Warlus? Heard about the posts "I don't want to start a rant, but..."? I've been visiting this site for almost as long as 8 years. I don't even think gamecritics has lived for as long as 80 years, so clearly you're not a 10-times-senior in that respect.

So it must be the post count! Yo! That's rep! Hell yeah, maybe I'm forced to agree with that, just as I'm forced to agree that if I'm a suicide bomber, Bush should be my senior. If by being senior it means you're 10 times more of an asshole than I am (with all your post counts incrementing from posts of the same nature as your previous ones), then excuse me if I don't kneel down and kowtow like mad.

Now it's time to get you back to the ignore list you come from.

P.S. You seriously have nothing better to do now, have you? I'm guessing you're someone who gets his lunch money stolen everyday while fantasizing what it feels like for a girl to hold your hand. Or maybe someone who got frustrated from not being magna cumlaude and as a result pretends to be clever in an internet discussion. It's no wonder why you find your life so meaningless.

EDIT: Someone told me that he was actually referring to beatbass. Ah, then my mistake. IN any case, my opinion of Nicato won't change.

Last edited by shun; 04-30-2006 at 12:20 AM.
shun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 12:18 AM   #47
Nicato
Next-Gen Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by shun
I've been told from someone that you said something totally nasty about me. SO I decided to unblock you for this post and see what kind of vitriols you have thrown.
I didn't say anything "nasty" about you, nor did I say anything "vitriols." I suggested you were an opportunist, I called your opportunistic ways lame--but I doubt that qualifies as being nasty. It is, in fact, valid criticism. So much so that you couldn't deny it.

But if that what it takes to get you make up an excuse to reply to me, then shun: you're a sensationalistic crybaby. (Yeah, I said it.)

Quote:
I only have one thing I can comment on:

10 times my senior? You? I don't get it. What's your definition of what constitutes a 10-times-seniority? Age? Well, clearly this link proves you're just as young as I am.
Clearly, I'm only as young as you are in years, not wisdom. It's called hyperbole, shun. An exaggerated figure of speech used to empathize a point. The point being that your "advice" was a trojan horse used to attack me.

Beatbass and I were clearly engaging in foul-mouthed banter. His being the initiator should have suggested to you that he knew what he was doing, that he was not falling into a "trap" and thus was in no need for your "advice." His experience (hence: "ten times your senior") should have further empathized that point.

Quote:
I'm guessing you're someone who gets his lunch money stolen everyday while fantasizing what it feels like for a girl to hold your hand. Or maybe someone who got frustrated from not being magna cumlaude and as a result pretends to be clever in an internet discussion.
Well, no. I'm a community college dropout who barely graduated High School with a C-average and my fantasies involve more a tad more activity than hand-holding. In fact, you got it all mixed up--I stole my graduation, and my fantasies include "magna cum laude" (that's a pun).

Last edited by Nicato; 04-30-2006 at 03:30 AM.
Nicato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 03:04 AM   #48
Mike Doolittle
Telling people how it is

Send a message via AIM to Mike Doolittle

Quote:
Originally Posted by beatbass
Purpose is actually a teological concept, and may or may not be compatible with (efficient) causal explanations. Whether it can be reduced to a human construct, though, is to be similarly guilty of solipsism on a global level - human claims to knowledge is not the measure by which something can be (finally) judged or determined - this is Nicato's 'argument' in reverse. The fact that we have no (cough) 'objective'' criteria to 'prove' purpose does not mean that life has no purpose or that it is simply a human construct : to quote Dennis Leary's Asshole Song - we just don't know (whatever our knowledge claims can ever amount to in a world of experience).
Couldn't have said it better myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicato
Not even remotely?
Not even remotely.

My MySpace Page
My Gaming PC Blog
Mike Doolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 04:26 AM   #49
Adelleda
Is that a Panther?

Send a message via MSN to Adelleda

Quote:
So it must be the post count!
Only elitist forums use post counts.

Adelleda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 07:45 PM   #50
Avptallarita

Rep Power: 15 Avptallarita is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Not sure I understand - what are you accusing me of exactly? What is the pretext/s or intrigue, and in what way do you think that I'm self regarding? Are you saying that that the 'purpose' of my posts is to show how smart I am, or how stupid other people are - if only to feel good about myself? What would be the purpose of that? And why do feel compelled to put me in my place (or show me up as such)? Aren't you doing the very thing you're accussing me of here - assuming I understand you correctly?
What I'm saying is that I think you're being insincere when you say you're "intrigued" by his behaviour (or that of other people). It's more like it's a set text you pull out so you can speak about your subject - an "excuse", of sorts. You remark something in another person's behaviour and then say you're intrigued / fascinated / interested / surprised by the way in which [insert analysis of character] so you can expose all your observations. But what really intrigues you here is your capacity to analyse such behaviour in the first place, and that's why you express it in text even in circumstances where it's mostly irrelevant (as I thought it to be in this topic): because you're fascinated by your own intelligence, and because you're demonstrating to yourself (to yourself, and not to us) how smart you are.

(Mind you, this is not at all a plea for you to stop putting down such analyses. They're extraordinarily interesting to read - especially when concerning myself - so please go on).

As for my own motivations, inasmuch as I'm capable of knowing them.
Avptallarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 10:12 PM   #51
beatbass
New Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avptallarita
What I'm saying is that I think you're being insincere when you say you're "intrigued" by his behaviour (or that of other people). It's more like it's a set text you pull out so you can speak about your subject - an "excuse", of sorts. You remark something in another person's behaviour and then say you're intrigued / fascinated / interested / surprised by the way in which [insert analysis of character] so you can expose all your observations. But what really intrigues you here is your capacity to analyse such behaviour in the first place, and that's why you express it in text even in circumstances where it's mostly irrelevant (as I thought it to be in this topic): because you're fascinated by your own intelligence, and because you're demonstrating to yourself (to yourself, and not to us) how smart you are.

(Mind you, this is not at all a plea for you to stop putting down such analyses. They're extraordinarily interesting to read - especially when concerning myself - so please go on).

As for my own motivations, inasmuch as I'm capable of knowing them.
How intriguing (or fascinating).

Last edited by beatbass; 04-30-2006 at 10:27 PM.
beatbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 12:28 AM   #52
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy

I love this thread and everyone in it.
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 01:49 AM   #53
beatbass
New Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boy
I love this thread and everyone in it.
Interesting.
beatbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 10:09 AM   #54
Avptallarita

Rep Power: 15 Avptallarita is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
How intriguing (or fascinating).

I missed your pic. Now I'm intrigued, can someone tell me what it was?
Avptallarita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2006, 12:27 PM   #55
Adelleda
Is that a Panther?

Send a message via MSN to Adelleda

Pot, kettle, black.
Adelleda is offline   Reply With Quote