About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Guide Help

Notices

Old 10-21-2012, 10:56 AM   #31
Unregistered

Re: MLB Front Office Manager Tips FAQ Help Tricks Hints Cheat Codes Strategy Guide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Okay, a few people have commented on the Nationals. So, I am going to give advice on which players to cut and which to hold on to in the beginning of the game. Keep in mind (like stated in other posts) that most teams are destined to have bad first years. It will be hard to win in year one and two. This game is all about being patient and waiting for players to develop. Also, pitching is ALWAYS first priority.

For Nationals, the first thing I would do would be to resign every player at their desired amount ... EXCEPT: Boone, the guy who wants to test free agancy, Austin Kearns, Dmitri Young, and Nick Johnson. The last three are too old to keep. They make great trades because of their current ratings, but on Jan. 1 they will be useless with new and less impressive ratings... ALSO: go ahead and sign Ryan Zimmerman and Elijha Dukes to long deals ($5mil for 5 years with about $1.5mil signing bonus). These two will be great for the future of your ball team so you want to keep them around.

Reminder: Always scan the free agent list. Do it about once per month especially in the beginning of the game. Study each player as far down on the list as you can. I was able to find a 75 potential pitcher and a 65 potential left fielder from day one.

Next, you need to trade. The guys I thought were good to trade away were Ronnie Belliard, Dmitri Young, Cristian Guzman, Nick Johnson, Kory Casto, Wil Nieves, Mike O' Connor, Willie Harris, Ausitn Kearns, Odalis Perez, Jason Bergmann, and Garrett Mock. Chad Cordero is another but he is in AAA minor league. These players are all ones you aren't going to want when the new ratings come out on the first of the year.

Now, if you trade those players away, you are definitely going to need pitchers, a shortstop, a first baseman, and a catcher. but you may want to aquire some additional players. Make trades based on what you think you need. Here are some good players to trade for on each position...

Pitchers: Joba Chamberlain (toughest to aquire but most worth it), Clayton Kershaw, David Price, Clay Buchholz, Kevin Slowey, Kyle Kendrick, Ian Kennedy, Phil Hughes, Carlos Villanueva, James McDonald, Nick Adenhart, Yusmeiro Petit, and Homer Bailey. These are great starters or future starters that should be relatively easy to trade for. A couple of great relief guys are Boone Logan, Eddie Kuntz, and Edward Mujica. Grab a few of these pitchers and you will be a World Series contendor in two/three years garunteed.

Catchers: Taylor Teagarden, Lou Marson, Dusty Ryan, Jarrod Saltalamacchia, Wilken Castillo, and Dioner Navarro. If you get any one of these, you can say goodbye to Jesus Flores. You won't need him and it would be better to trade him away.

First Basemen: Pablo Sandoval and Daric Barton. Ehh.. not much but these two will rock.

Second Basemen: Asdrubal Cabrera, Alexi Casilla, Travis Denker, and Gregorio Petit.

Third Basemen: Brandon Wood, Alberto Callaspo, and Ian Stewart. Ryan Zimmerman should be good for you, though.

Shortstops: Emmanuel Burriss, Joaquin Arias, and Alcides Escobar.

Outfielders: Ryan Sweeney, Brandon Jones, Nick Evans, Carlos Gonzalez, Travis Buck, and Melky Cabrera.

You may only aquire half a dozen of these players, but that is okay. I think I got twelve just from trading in the first couple months. Granted, two of them will be in the minor league for a year or two. A couple more pitchers will be relieving and not starting for a couple years, and some batters make take a few to reach their maximum swinging potential. Be sure to finalize most trades before the start of the next year because the ratings will all change, and probably not in favor of your success.

Next, after November 15 you should be signing a big name pitcher. I think CC Sabathia, John Lackey, and Ben Sheets are the major ones. Depending on your budget (keep in mind that trading away guys like cristian guzman and Nick Johnson aliaviates your payroll because they already carry $5+ mil salaries, you should be able to get one of these. Whoever you chose, give them a couple million more than they are asking for to ensure that no other team offers better. Aquiring these free agent veteran pitchers is risky because a.) you have them on no-trade clauses to where they are drawing many millions every year without you having power over releasing them and; b.) they may not perform according to their high rating. It's okay. Get them anyway. It is well worth the risk.

After that, just keep looking for guys on the free agant list that have high potentials. They are usually young (18-24 years old). They are out their, the 70-80 potential pitchers and 60-75 potential batters. You just have to search for them.

I hope this looooooooooooong guide helped for all you Nationals fans. A crappy team now can be a world series team in three years.

Kurt
nice guide but can u help me with the pirates
Old 04-21-2014, 11:04 PM   #32
Unregistered

Re: MLB Front Office Manager Tips FAQ Help Tricks Hints Cheat Codes Strategy Guide

The Pirates are one tough challenge along with the Nationals in this game, simply because they suck like a trashy girl on prom night. And even more concerning, your given budget is $61.9mil. There are only a few players for which I can say, "yeah, you want this guy on your team next year. Sign him." ( those guys are Adam Laroche, Freddy Sanchez, Nate McLouth, Ronny Paulino, Nyger Morgan, Chris Gomez, Paul Maholm, Zach Duke, Romulo Sanchez, Matt Capps, and a Minor Leager Franquellis Osoria). All those guys have potential to do well starting for your team next year. Perhaps NONE of them have a chance at doing well starting for your team year after year, besides Capps and Osoria.

But you always have to keep in mind, a 60-win team one year can very well be a 120-win team two years from now, with just a couple of tweaks. How is that you ask? It's all in player potential.

For example, John Grabow is a 55-rated relief pitcher before Jan. 1, when all players' rating get updated every year. When his numbers are recalculated, he becomes a 45-rated player. Almost every player in the game will decrease in rating on Jan. 1. So you don't want Grabow when the new numbers come out. He'll be 10 points less useful when trading. There are a few exceptions! I call these steals. They actually increase in rating from 2008 to 2009. Like Jeff Karstens on the Pirates. He is originally rated a 40 I think. On Jan. 1, he is a 55. Much of succeeding is knowing which players are steals. Also, there are players age 24 or younger whose ratings aren't good now but will get better with time. Clay Buchholtz, on the Red Sox roster, is a 45 rated player who will be a 70-rated starting pitcher in 4 years. A successful trade before Jan. 1 would be Grabow(55) for Buccholtz(45).

So here is my list of Pirates players you need to trade away usefully before Jan. 1. In other words, these players have higher ratings now then they will have come the New Year and you won't want to keep them next year:
Brandon Moss, Ryan Doumit, Doug Mientkiewicz, Tyler Yates, and Sean Burnett. There aren't many. Remember, guys like Gorzellany who are rated 40 are going to get worse but I don't think the are worth trying to barter with. I would just not resign them and let them get released eventually (Resign everyone you are going to keep or use to barter before November 15th). With only those few to trade, who should you get? I'll put a list here of notable cheaper players I like to grab BEORE the New Year because their ratings actually go up (even though they aren't young):
Cardinals: Braden Looper (SP), Joel Peneiro (SP)
Rays: Andy Sonnanstine (SP)
Rangers: Kameron Loe (RP), Scott Feldaman (SP)
Blue Jays: Jeremy Accardo (RP)
Nationals: Tim Redding (SP), Shawn Hill (SP)
Diamondbacks: Chad Qualls (RP), Tony Pena (RP), Brandon Lyon (RP), Jon Rauch (RP)
Braves: Goerge Campillo (SP)
Red Sox: Devern Hansack (RP), Paul Byrd (SP)
Cubs: Jon Leiber (RP), Bob Howry (RP)
White Sox: Scott Linebrink (RP), Clayton Richard (RP)
Indians: Masa Kobeyashi (RP), Brian Moehler (SP), Zack Jackson (SP)
Rockies: Livan Hernandez (SP)
Marlins: Ricky Nolasco (SP)
Astros: Chris Sampson (SP)
Royals: Joel Peralta (RRP)
Angels: Ervin Santata (SP)
Brewers: Dave Bush (SP)
Twins: Scott Baker (SP) Nick Blackburn (SP), Boof Bonser (SP), Glen Perkins (SP)
Athletics: Justin Duscherer (SP)

Notice how all of these players are pitchers. You may ask "What about good position player steals!! Be patient; there are young ones who are good steals but it seems the only way to get good position players are to get them young and WAIT for them to get good. Also, it is important to note that you might not use any of these players you aquire for next year (except maybe Duscherer, Sonnanstine, Baker, Nolasco, Qualls, or Looper). Rather, use them to trade again for others when their better ratings come out in the new year.

These young players you'll want to trade for before the 1st:
Giants: Pablo Sandoval (1B), Emmanuel Burris (SS)
Rays: Dioner Navarro (C)
Rangers: Joaquin Arias (SS), Taylor Teagarden (C)
Blue Jays: Travis Snider (LF), Jesse Litsch (SP)
Braves: Gregor Blanco (CF)
Indians: Asdrubal Cabrera (2B)
Tigers: Dusty Ryan (C)
Twins: Delmon Young (LF)
Athletics: Ryan Sweeny (RF), Travis Buck (RF)
Phillies: Lou Marson (C)

All of these guys could be successful starters next year.

Other young guys should be acquired before the new year as able. They will take anywhere from one year to three years to be successful starters. In the mean time, store them in your minor leage AAA team so you know where they are.

Mariners: Ryan Feirerabend (SP)
Rays: David Price (SP)
Rangers: Jarrod Saltalamachia (C)
Nationals: Collin Balister (RP), Emilio Bonafacio (2B)
Diamondbacks: Max Scherzer (SP), Yusmeiro Petit (SP)
Orioles: Adam Jones (CF)
White Sox: Boone Logan (RP)
Reds: Johnny Cueto (SP), Danny Hererra (RP), Homer Bailey (SP)
Indians: Jensen Lewis (RP), Jonathon Meloan (RP), Edward Mujica (RP)
Rockies: Ian Stewart (3B)
Tigers: Matt Joyce (LF), Clete Thomas (CF)
Marlins: Josh Johnson (SP), Cameron Maybin (CF)
Angels: Brandon Wood (3B), Nick Adenheart (SP)
Dodgers: Jonathan Broxton (RP), Clayton Kershaw (SP), James McDonald (SP), Chin-Lung Hu (SS)
Brewers: Carlos Villanueva (SP), Alcides Escobar (SS)
Twins: Kevvin Slowey (SP), Carlos Gomez (CF), Alexi Casilla (2B)
Mets: Nick Evans (LF), Eddie Kuntz (RP)
Yankees: Joba Chamberlain (SP), Ian Kennedy (SP), Phil Hughes (SP)
Athletics: Gregorio Petit (2B), Daric Barton (1B), Aaron Cunningham (CF), Carlos Gonzalez (CF)
Phillies: Kyle Kendrick (SP)

So you are sitting there with maybe a dozen mediocre players to trade ( ANDY Laroche, Ryan Doumit, Jayson Michaels, Luis Rivas, Doug Mientkiewicz, Jason Davis, John Grabow, Tyler Yates, Sean Burnett, Raul Chavez, Brian Bixler, and Jesse Chavez) and wondering how to chose which young guys to go and get. It's all about realizing what your team will need. I've already told you which guys to keep for next year. By Spring Training you'll need to come up with a third baseman and a couple outfielders to start, plus some starting and relief pitching. From there you can barter away the guys I told you you CAN keep if you think you can get a better prospect. For instance, I could trade Nate McLouth, John Grabow, and Ian Snell for BJ Upton. This gives me a solid centerfielder who will be good for 5+ years with a contract that I control. This is a great trade. Even though it means giving up one of my best players, McLouth would have only been decent for one or two more years.

There are two opinions on signing big free agent pitchers. The first, a very relevant one, is that these 70-80 guys will not live up to their rating and that they will consume way too much of your budget. I agree, these older "aces" don't necessarily perform up to their number. And they do use a butt load of your budget But the other side of the argument is that as the Pirates, no matter what other moves you make, you will have an inconsistent, young, and miserable starting staff. A big free agent helps to bring consistency and anchor your staff the first couple years. You will be stuck with them for a while, but I believe they do perform well. Maybe not superb, but pretty solid. However, CC Sabathia is too much money. So is John Lackey. If Ben Sheets, Andy Pettite, or Derek Lowe appear on November 15 in the Free Agents, you can cautiously sign them. I think Sheets is the best deal. If you can get him without a no-trade clause (give him a three more million than he asks and give him three million more bonus than he asks, but switch yes to no on no-trade clause). Another option will probably arise in Ervin Santana on December 12th when the next wave of free agents comes out. He'll be an 80 rated pitcher next year, and he will come at a much better deal. I got him for $9mil for 7 years with a $5mil bonus. But you can get him for a little less for as little as one year with a smaller bonus if you want. I just like him.

So, my starting staff is turning out to be Paul Maholm, Ervin Santana, and Zach Duke as a lefty.

There are usually a few other great position players that hit the FA list on Dec. 12th. Cory Hart is a decent guy to sign for $5mil for 4 years with a couple million signing bonus. He'll take care of RF. If not him, Jeff Francoeur might be in there. He goes for about the same.

For the Rule 5 draft on Dec. 11th, I sometimes get Tony Abreu, a 3B, if I'm really low on guys and budget. Sometimes he hits surprisingly solid his first year. I never find anyone else very worth while in the Rule 5 that first year.

Something else I do is pick up decent guys like Brad Penny in Free Agency ASAP after Dec 12th and use him to trade for some of those young prospects BEFORE January 1st.

Read my previous guide on the Nationals to remember my comments on finding made up young players in free agency with 65+ potential (made most evident on Jan. 1st) and on signing maturing players effectively before they start asking for $10 million

Scrap and scrap, and before you know it, you have a decent starting team for your first year. Don't leave relief pitching unattended. Finding some 55-rated guys with low stamina (50 and lower) isn't very hard. Remember, you probably won't win your first year. You might do pretty bad. But the young guys you went out and got will be All-start in a year or two. Just be patient with the young guys and continue to make good trades for starting pitchers. Once you've developed some 70-80 pitchers, they stay that way, and you have consistency. In a two or three years, you should definitely be winning 90 to 120 games. If you aren't, you didn't get and stick with enough young layers.

Power seems to be what makes a hitter successful in this game, and hitting of course. Plate discipline shows up big time in OBP. Defense doesn't seem to be as important, but I love finding well-rounded players, so I look for high everything. But a player with a potential 75 hitting but 25 power isn't going to make that big of an impact on your team.

The more work you put in, the less thing you simulate, like batting line up and injury stuff, the better you'll do. Don't worry about the draft. Put all scouting allocation into international players, but not Japanese. Every once in a while, an international player will be 55-65 rated. Be active in looking into the minor leagues, switching to "all" teams, and sorting for the best overall, and seeing if there are any pitchers or position players rising to greatness by scrolling down a bit and checking their potential. Stay active and always looking and making moves as your budget allows. Be quick to trade and slow to sign to long-term contracts.

My pirates team by 2017 had won 4 World Series and I was consistently winning over 110 games from 2012 on. I know my stuff. Any other questions, just ask me.

Kurt
Old 04-27-2014, 01:11 AM   #33
Unregistered

I disagree with some of the above posters that way forget the draft. I've been averaging 135 wins per year with low cost players drafting high potential players. As well as trading away higher salary players that are in decline or who just not in their prime anymore for high potential guys.

With the draft, try to get a location to A status when you allocate your budget to their max level 3 years in a row. Example I use Puerto Rico, Columbia, US South East and Taiwan, places that are cheap to max out. Once you get to A status you can see more of the prospects potential not just their current so you can see who to draft.

Also the best way to develop those high potential is to give the player / pitcher actual playing time in the minors. You'd be surprised how fast a guy with a 20 current will jump to 50 if he plays everyday with 1 or 2 years. Try to avoid keeping high potential guys on the bench in the minors. IF necessary, get a older over 25 scrub just to be a backup in-case of injury just so that a higher case potential guy mood doesn't get upset that his playing time if limited. Do not allow the computer to auto sim the whole season as they will screw up your lineups and keep a player who was on the DL and not put him back on the active roster, thus his year can be wasted.

Your 40 man roster lock should only be for players that are 23 and over so they can't be chosen for Rule 5. Players that are younger wont be taken so don't waste a 40 man roster spot on them.

For Hitters: I found that the Hitting rating is more important that Discipline. A guy with 70 Hitting, 40 Power 20 Discipline, will have better numbers than a guy with 20 Hitting, 40 Power, 70 Discipline. Discipline is the likely hood they will swing on good pitches. If the batter has the ability to hit anything, they could swing at anything and make contact.

Pitchers: Its nice to have a guy with a high 4Seam FB rating, but the most important rating is Control. Whether if it's a guy With high stamina who should be a starter or a guy with low stamina who should be a reliever or closer, a high control rating means they will put the ball anywhere they want and the hitter usually can't hit it. I have starter that's constantly wins over 20 games a year with a 80 Stamina, 70 Control and 40 4SMFB. Other pitches like curve are nice but not that important to have a lights out starting 5.

Developing more than 1 prospect at the same position: Lets say you have multiple 1B men and they are both young with high potentials. Try to make sure one bats left one bats right. Then you can keep them both on a minor league roster and use them as a lefty righty combo based on the lineup. This will ensure throughout the year both of those guys have a lot of playing time. Again, try not to have a high prospect rating guy with no playing time because by the time he's 25 he wont reach that potential. A guy with 65 Potential may not pass 35 if he never gets At Bats.