About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Next-Gen Console Games

Notices

Old 03-18-2014, 08:08 PM   #46
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Re: Dark Souls 2

I saw a message in the castle at one point indicating a false wall and went nuts attacking everything for ten minutes, to no avail. Found out about pressing X much later!

Got an hour on it this evening and spent the whole time committing genocide on some very unpleasant characters in Huntsmans Copse. Drangleic is a safer place now

I like that you can wipe guys completely out in a level, it's cathartic. Have only done it here and in no mans wharf, I am not a maniac.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 06:27 AM   #47
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I wiped out the 3 crossbow/greatsword guys at the bonfire in sinners rise. They annoyed me one time too often.

Did you get invaded at any point so far? I only got invaded once and that was in Belfry, which seems to be a designated pvp area since there is a covenant with the sole purpose of keeping the bells safe. Other than that it was only NPC phantoms and a nasty dark spirit so far, but the dark spirit didn't invade, he was just standing there in front of the fog gate. Watching, waiting...

One other thing: I'm still too used to knowledge from the first Dark Souls, so that it just occurred to me that it's now possible to aim crossbows properly. And there are some illusory walls that can still be bashed in after all, so I was not going crazy because I was sure I bashed in at least one illusory wall in DaS2 before figuring out those in the Bastille can only be opened by pressing X.
Old 03-19-2014, 03:41 PM   #48
Pedro
128-bit Poster

I've been mostly playing offline.

And I've only been human once, when I jumped down that hole in Majula. I still died. I have about 25 effigies.

Must get back to it tonight. Now I've killed all those owl-y dudes with the axes and whips, the way is clear to the next area.

Some of the cheapness I mentioned earlier undoubtedly has to do with playing offline, as there are no bloodstains, but still.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:38 PM   #49
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Oh my, I just fought my way through a genuinely creepy area with invisible ghost ninja attackers and creepy trees. Then I had a chat with... no, no spoilers

Been a while that I was so happy to see a bonfire...

Also, finished two bosses today, the Lost Sinner who is a) a woman and b) not really difficult if you have a 100% block shield and don't get greedy when attacking... it just takes a while... and then I got rid of the chariot on fire, which I needed about 5 attempts, not counting the futile attempts when I was being a helpful shade. Really good fight though.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:34 PM   #50
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Doesn't sound familiar!

I had a very unsatisfactory session. I failed to deal with the skeletons/chariot (nice, a one mile jog followed by 20 things that can go wrong), and I aggro'ed an NPC (who was in exactly the pose of every ambusher I have seen so far). This development team seems to have turned into assholes over the last couple of years.

Also opened up a new area so still have 4 potential paths forward.
Old 03-20-2014, 09:09 AM   #51
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Yesterday was the first time I got the sense of oh, "THAT's where I am?!?" like I got when coming out from Blighttown to New Londo or gazed from the Tomb of Giants to Lost Izalith in Dark Souls 2. I was kinda stuck between a petrified enemy who blocked the way and the scorpion king (I don't know what he is exactly but that's how I choose to call... uhm... him?) and saw a stone circle that looked vaguely familiar. I put on my fall damage reduction ring and took a leap, just to land in front of a friendly NPC I just had a chat with an hour earlier. "Oh, so nice of you to visit again", he said.

Dark Souls 2 feels more like a proper world than DaS1 since it branches out more, but I still liked DaS1's level design more.

Also, are the Heide Towers Anor Londo? It seems to me, I mean there are so many obvious clues that the city that fell into the sea is Anor Londo of old... the old Dragonslayer, Lloyds Talisman, Divine Blessings, similar Architecture, similar looking giant guards... if that's the case, what happened to the Undead Burg? Is the Fortress of the Forest of Giants built on the remnants of the Undead Burg? Where is the Valley of Drakes then? Is Huntsman's Copse where the Oolacile Royal Gardens/Darkroot Gardens used to be?

Yesterday I walked under the giant bridge that can be seen from Majula, not sure if it leads to what once was undead burg but I somehow doubt it, because it should be 'behind' a mountain range from Anor Londo.
Old 03-20-2014, 02:53 PM   #52
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Ha ha, now we're talking!

I think it is definitely Lordran, thousands of years later. The Cathedral area etc is likely to be Anor Londo all right, and the passage of time might explain why the battery on Dragonslayer's spear died

There is also an NPC (I forget who) who strongly hints that this is the case.

I dunno about the rest of your theory though - if Anor Londo, the highest point, was submerged, then all the rest must be below that (barring any huge convulsions in the land). I'm up under that aqueduct at the moment myself, so I must have a proper look around.

DS2 may feel like a proper world but I think DS1 was better. Brad (again) claims that the world in 1 felt too compact and crowded, but the way I look at it is that that was a vertical slice of a small part of the world, not the whole thing. The world itself extended outwards on all sides, and was chock-full of all those nasty things too.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:47 AM   #53
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I don't think the Dragonslayer is actually Ornstein, he uses some of the moves but clearly not all of them and he doesn't have quite the same affinity for lightning and fast movement. He is definitely old, judging by how sluggish he reacts compared to the Ornstein of olde. I reckon it's more a honorary title than anything else, since there are no dragons anymore, the last of the dragon slayers died or disappeared long time ago.

Something else I wonder... who it she lost sinner? And why is she fighting in a style which is resembling moves from Orstein? In Dark Souls 1 Sif fights in a similar manner as Artorias does, so does that mean that the lost sinner has a connection with the now long dead dragonslayer?

@Geography: I don't think the sea was rising to get Anor Londo under water, rather than Anor Londo sank into the ocean like Atlantis. Having a look at the map, the Area Heide Towers stick out of the sea looks almost like someone just took a bite from the coastline

But now I don't think Heide is Anor Londo itself, since the geography doesn't make sense that way. The mountains separating AL and Sen's Fortress/Undead Burg are missing/wrong if HT is AL. Hence it's more likely that Heide was built by those who abandoned Anor Londo when the fire started to fade and before what happenend in Dark Souls 1.

I remember there was a reference in the first game that a lot of people have left, abandoned the gods. Heide is German for heathen, which I take as statement from FromSoft and would explain their lack of gods in the tradition of Anor Londo, why people forgot the names of the gods and why the faces have been replaced with those of animals representing ideals rather than showing statues of actual people.

Heide Towers is the city that those who abandoned the gods of Anor Londo built far away from home, centuries ago. A city which flourished and was home to machinery today's Knights of Blue can't understand anymore, and which sank into the sea long time ago.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:09 AM   #54
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
I don't think the Dragonslayer is actually Ornstein, he uses some of the moves but clearly not all of them and he doesn't have quite the same affinity for lightning and fast movement. He is definitely old, judging by how sluggish he reacts compared to the Ornstein of olde. I reckon it's more a honorary title than anything else, since there are no dragons anymore, the last of the dragon slayers died or disappeared long time ago. .
I see now from the description of his soul, he was a tribute of sorts to a knight of legend.

Quote:
Something else I wonder... who it she lost sinner? And why is she fighting in a style which is resembling moves from Orstein? In Dark Souls 1 Sif fights in a similar manner as Artorias does, so does that mean that the lost sinner has a connection with the now long dead dragonslayer?
Bit of a reach
I just finished this fight (a nightmare until I started using the correct equipment, then easy). I tried about 10 times yesterday with Lucatiel, did it today alone on my third go.

Quote:
Having a look at the map, the Area Heide Towers stick out of the sea looks almost like someone just took a bite from the coastline
Nice map! If incomprehensible. I have one issue with the map geography so far, you'll know it when you see it.

I am going crazy at not having found an ember so far. Either there is a lot of game still to go, or they are keeping them for NG+

The boss weapons are a bit underwhelming. I got the Warped Sword and it is mostly interesting for its moveset. Might get better with upgrades.

I have about 10 weapons at +3, I am going crazy over here.
Old 03-24-2014, 02:13 PM   #55
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Found the ember! Not that it is greatly useful at the moment - I upgraded my Varangian Sword (168 atk) and it now has 87 atk and 87 lightning atk. Disappointng

What do people think of the limited respawns (I am pretending there are more than me & Li-Ion in here)? I am finding an issue in that if I get to a fog gate with 7000 souls, there is no way I am going through that gate. So I end up back at the bonfire and collecting another 7000, and another...so now I am probably massively over levelled despite spending 10ks of souls on rings, miracles, spells etc.

The other thing is I feel I need to clear out a level to make a clear path to the boss (eg the sea creatures on the Lost Sinner level) or my concentration is broken. So again, I am kind of 'forced' into farming.
Old 03-24-2014, 03:04 PM   #56
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
I upgraded my Varangian Sword (168 atk) and it now has 87 atk and 87 lightning atk. Disappointng
Yes, the nerfed elemental weapons down to a size where it's not a necessary evil if you want to survive any kind of invasion by other players. Speaking of which, I got invaded two times yesterday, by one guy who looked like Havel holding a lightning spear (dude, you're in the wrong game) and by the probably worst invader in recent memory. I came down from the bonfire at forest of giants on my aimless stumbling about to find out where the hell I'm supposed to go with my 4 lord's souls (btw. I cleaned up 3 of the major beasties - manbeast, spidey and diablo - yesterday in one clean go, it was going so fast I was almost in shock). Instead of attacking with his giant sword he ran up the ladder to... I don't know what. I was just going on doing what I intended to do (dead end in my investigation on that part) and he still hadn't attacked, but since I was being invaded I couldn't homeward bone out so I had to wait for that moron to finally "chase me down". If he would have been in the Fugitive, Harrison Ford would still be running. Then he swung his giant sword aimlessly about and turned his back on me repeatedly, resulting in not one but two backstabs even though I wasn't fishing or anything.

Anyway: when you collect the 4 big souls you have to go to the shrine of winter where a door will open. And then you have to operate the most impractical door opening mechanism in recent memory, perhaps all time. If the door to your castle only opens with ritual sacrifice, you're probably not a king that goes out very often.

Drangleic Castle... well, if you thought Dark Souls 2 got a bit soft, wait for DC, it will change your mind on that front. It's like they made a list of all the things people found annoying in the previous games and put them in one lengthy gauntlet (acid? check, poison? check, archers and narrow stairs? check, curse? check, untimely npc invasions? check) with no bonfire at the end but a nice boss fog. I was not looking forward to suffering through that section again, so I used an effigy, summoned two sunbros and steamrolled the poor boss behind that particular fog-gate. I almost felt pity for him. No, I didn't. If you hide between acid, poison, archers, giants, curses and narrow staircases you deserve what's coming for you.

@Limited respawns: I haven't really noticed them yet. There are only 3 places I think where I killed the local monster population often enough to stop them from coming again. If I have too many souls I just put on the ring of lifesaving, which only costs 3000 souls to repair, which is a cheap insurance policy if you happen to stand at the gate with 50k souls like I did last night.

I also didn't clear out the area to the lost sinner, I actually just ran through once the gate was open. But I also killed the Sinner on my second attempt, found her surprisingly easy to beat. Like with Artorias there are a lot of people who seem to have problems with that fight, while it really suits my particular hiding behind shield and be careful with attacking-approach.

Now I'm in front of the Mirror Knight, or Looking Glass Knight. I had myself being summoned yesterday to get a taste and it seems perfectly doable... with a summon. I won't try that fight solo after what I saw yesterday, don't want to put spoilers here. I did most of the bosses solo so far. Notable exceptions are the first encounter in DC, the Smelter Demon and that spider. All of those have in common that the way from the bonfire to the gate takes too long for my taste.
Old 03-25-2014, 03:35 PM   #57
Pedro
128-bit Poster

The Lost Sinner turned out to be reasonably easy, if you had a certain piece of equipment. It took me a long time to come to that realisation though. Same for the Smelter Demon. The harder bosses have mostly been about the right equipment for me so far.

I'm at the Iron King now, the usual get him down to 30% health on the first go, then fail to come anywhere near that on subsequent goes. Such is Dark Souls

There is actually a bonfire just before him, up a ladder in the room with the fire breathing bulls/boars. It's interesting up there, it's like something out of Hellraiser There is a PvP cage fighting arena (seriously).

Is the Shrine of Winter that little gazebo thing in the Shaded Woods?

Also, I compared your map to the one in the guy's basement and it is a great match. You can go back there for a chat with that dude to hear more lore.

I've surprised myself so far, with the only summon being an NPC to help me with the Ruin Sentinels. From what you say, that is about to change though!

Did you get summoned by the Rat Covenant at all? I may join them, that looks like fun
Old 03-27-2014, 10:48 AM   #58
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

No, I did not submit my soul to the will of the rat. Also I wasn't invaded down there. I did get invaded each time I went to one of they Belfry's however. I was in the knights of blue covenant for a while but never could connect to a world of a sinner, hence I forgot about it after a while and am now a follower of sunlight and hence praise the sun \o/

I guess all fights can be done solo, but especially those with multiple enemies get of course much easier once you have someone else is in the room. Also, summoning another sunbro gives me a sunlight medal I need for leveling up my covenant, hence it's a good idea for me to summon them anyway.

Levels: I'm now already SL 130ish... which by old Dark Souls standards is outrageously high. I think I was SL120 at the end of my NG+ in the first game? I don't feel as powerful as with SL120 in the old game however, so I guess the new SL are just not as strong. But SL alone is meaningless anyway, the equipment is very important after all and I think it's a good idea from FromSoft that they now don't take SL as metric for PvP and Co-Op but collected souls. It seems to work in that sense that with every invader so far I got the feeling we're at about the same level, while I was usually utterly destroyed by invaders in the first game. I beat about 50% of invaders, which in my book counts as good matchmaking.

Shrine of Winter is one of the doors you can't pass in the shaded woods, yes.

Lorewise there is a lot of interesting stuff going on, for example that the Lost Sinner tried to use the soul of the Witch of Izalith to reignite the first flame. Uhm... isn't that the soul you collect as player in the first game? So she must have been around since the times of Lordran, like other heroes and villains of that era tried to reignite the flames or usher in the age of humans, the age of darkness. She failed to reignite the flames, perhaps due to inaction after facing Gwyn, and been locked away ever since.

What equipment made the Lost Sinner easy for you? For me it was having a 100% block shield I was fighting her in darkness as well since I found the keys much later.

I'm now facing King Vendrick. Something is wrong here, I tried him a couple of times but don't seem to do damage. Only bleed seems to do a little, I guess I'm missing something or should do something else before coming back to him. Maybe some item that I need? So I ventured to the East, through something like a laboratory or museum, still not sure. I also ran into an old friend. Had to kill her.
Old 03-27-2014, 03:19 PM   #59
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Did you go back and check that door in the fallen giants' castle that requires the King's Seal or whatever? Maybe what you need is in there (don't tell me what's in there, I can't wait to find out). Although you may only get the item to open that door after you kill the king.

The matchmaking sounds a lot more reasonable then. I got summoned by the Rat guys at the Doors of Pharros - they can apparently lay traps etc and then summon someone. I didn't really know what was happening (thought the swarm of rats was some kind of dog), dispatched the enemies, then stood there while my summoner cut me down. I've seen some boards where people have called them the Cowards' Covenant and the Troll Covenant. I like the idea.

Quote:
Lorewise there is a lot of interesting stuff going on, for example that the Lost Sinner tried to use the soul of the Witch of Izalith to reignite the first flame. Uhm... isn't that the soul you collect as player in the first game? So she must have been around since the times of Lordran, like other heroes and villains of that era tried to reignite the flames or usher in the age of humans, the age of darkness. She failed to reignite the flames, perhaps due to inaction after facing Gwyn, and been locked away ever since.
Interesting, where did you hear this? You were the guy/girl who beat Gwynn and had those souls, so is the Lost Sinner you?

Yes, 100% shield! I was using the Leather Shield up to that point (still haven't beaten the Pursuer so I never collected the 100% shield at the start of the game) and the fight was a complete nightmare. Health coming off in chunks through the shield and no time to drink a flask. Then I used a Gyrm Shield for the Smelter. No point worrying about spoilers here I suppose as no one is reading it. I wonder what happened Abfackeln and the Dragonrider.

Speaking of whom, I got Ornstein's spear off Ornifex last night, but haven't tried it out yet. You can activate the lightning with a heavy attack, I guess the poor little guy just didn't have the strength

I have all the Great Souls now and have opened the Shrine. However I need to go down the ho-al (best Irish character in a videogame? I love his accent) first and also hunt down the Pursuer and a gentleman by the name of the Rat Authority.

Levels - I am 106 I think, despite spending souls on everything but levelling in a bid not to outlevel everything around me.
Old 03-31-2014, 06:01 AM   #60
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Done. I killed the final boss that allows me to get to NG+

I'll write some more once my brain functions properly