About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > PC Games & Hardware Help

Notices

Old 03-15-2014, 10:03 PM   #1
gamevet

Anyone playing Titanfall on the PC?

I picked up the game today and was quite shocked to find out the game required 50 gigs of hard-drive space. I didn't have enough space left on my 250GB SSD, so I ended up installing the game on my 1TB HDD.

I'm loving the mix of ground troops to Titans. Everyone starts out on foot and with each kill you shave off X amount of seconds from your Titan's spawn time. Every time you die, several seconds appear to be added, but I'm not quite sure about that yet. Battle features a mix of drone foot soldiers, along with real players; it gives the game a feel of a more complete battleground. There's also chatter from your commander and story driven radio chat as well.

Overall, the game is pretty fun. It adds a unique FPS experience that isn't your same old stale battle. I highly recommend this title for the PC.
gamevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 06:45 AM   #2
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Re: Anyone playing Titanfall on the PC?

Is there a massive difference between the bots and the players? How does that work, are they just cannon fodder?
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 05:07 PM   #3
gamevet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Is there a massive difference between the bots and the players? How does that work, are they just cannon fodder?
The bots aren't anything special. If you run into a small group, they can do significant damage, but I mowed down a group of 4 bots earlier today.

I'm really surprised that the game only offers 8 vs. 8 battles; I'm guessing it has more to do with the size of the maps and what it would take to have more than 8 Titans on the battlefield.

I found it rather odd that the campaign is pretty much online multi-player as well. It really doesn't make any sense.
Old 03-17-2014, 05:10 AM   #4
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

There is Dark Souls 2, hence no time to play anything else right now
Old 03-17-2014, 06:41 AM   #5
crackajack
32-bit Poster

I am not surprised that game installs getting drastically bigger with this gen, but as it was explained Titanfalls massive install is mostly due to them including uncompressed audio is certainly weird.
Almost tempted to believe in some conspiracy thing, like MS paid for it, so the PC Version has some weird flaw compared to the XBone Version.

To your question: No.
Usually i don't like MP shooters in general. Played CoD4 until level 20 or something before getting bored with it. And that is supposed to be one the best MPs ever? Only exception was TF2 (Team Fortress) but that was more of an accident by it being part of the Orange Box (and being actually awesome^^).
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:41 PM   #6
gamevet

I'm enjoying this much more than I ever enjoyed Call of Duty. It really does deserve the praise it's getting. Your character can run on walls, make double jumps to reach high places, go invisible to sneak past a Titan and you can even land your Titan on an unsuspecting enemy below.

It would have been nice to have a campaign, but it's hard enough to stop playing multiplayer to ever get to that point. This will be one of those games like Warhawk, that will be nothing but a drink coaster in a couple of years, when the online community has dried up.

I have a feeling the audio is uncompressed to keep any kind of excessive load off of the XBone's CPU. The title is also on a BD disc, which does offer up to 50 GB of storage space. The PC game doesn't feel like it was held back by the console version, except for the large amount of HDD space required to install it.

I can relate to what you're saying Li-Ion. I've never finished Demon's Souls and was hoping to play Dark Souls, since I got the hard-bound guide on the cheap. So many games, so little time.

Last edited by gamevet; 03-18-2014 at 12:20 AM.
Old 03-18-2014, 02:53 AM   #7
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
I have a feeling the audio is uncompressed to keep any kind of excessive load off of the XBone's CPU.
Seems to be a PC exclusive feature.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...a-48gb-install

The min. specs sound like a late 2006/ early 2007 PC. So it is really just for very very few guys which haven't upgraded in ages... with an engine that was always running fine ever since it was released on a crapton of PCs.

strange decision

Quote:
It would have been nice to have a campaign,
A campaign would have made it interesting. I played at least the campaign of BF3 but not a second of its MP.
But the Box-ecosystem with Gold and Origin on the PC-side is not tempting at all too.
Parcour + mechs sound actually interesting, but as it is: No purchase.
Quote:
So many games, so little time.
Absolutely. So it's actually nice to have reasons to skip TF or any other hyped game.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:27 PM   #8
gamevet

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackajack View Post
Seems to be a PC exclusive feature.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...a-48gb-install

The min. specs sound like a late 2006/ early 2007 PC. So it is really just for very very few guys which haven't upgraded in ages... with an engine that was always running fine ever since it was released on a crapton of PCs.

strange decision
It is rather odd. The game does sound great, so you could say that there is a benefit to having uncompressed sound, being that it is lossless, much like DTS. I don't know if it's supporting Dolby Digital Live, but I'll have to keep an eye on my Earforce DSS to see what kind of signal it's seeing.

The game doesn't look like it is being held back by lesser hardware, that's for sure. I can honestly say that Battlefield 4 doesn't look miles better in comparison, though neither game is a juggernaut like Crysis 3 is for PC.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:19 AM   #9
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Absolutely. So it's actually nice to have reasons to skip TF or any other hyped game.
Which game isn't hyped these days? That's what PR is for, polish with ads until even a turd like Colonial Marines shines to the point that countless people pre-order. But hype is nowadays shorthand for "games other people talk about but I don't find particularly interesting and therefore would wish them to stop talking about".

I found TF interesting and everything with big Mecha gets bonus points in my book, but I'm not a big fan of multiplayer shooter and burned myself with Brink. One game that taught me the valuable lesson of not buying a game which requires servers and other people to play on good press alone. So it was an easy choice for me between TF and the sequel to the best game of all time ever (which is obviously Dark Souls).
Old 03-26-2014, 09:31 AM   #10
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
Which game isn't hyped these days?
At Titanfall levels?
Not many.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:12 PM   #11
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
At Titanfall levels?
Not many.
Skyrim
any GTA
any Halo
most CoD until Black Ops 2
any Battlefield
Minecraft
Day Z
most Metal Gear Solid
Beyond
Fallout 3
Fable
Killzone 2

shall I continue?
Old 04-05-2014, 12:19 AM   #12
gamevet

Quote:
Skyrim
any GTA
any Halo
most CoD until Black Ops 2
any Battlefield
Minecraft
Day Z
most Metal Gear Solid
Beyond
Fallout 3
Fable
Killzone 2

shall I continue?
I don't recall Fallout 3 getting too much pre-launch hype, beyond internet forums. It certainly deserves the praise it gets.
Old 04-05-2014, 05:36 PM   #13
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Fallout 3 had a lot of hype, Bethesda had a lot of good press after Oblivion and Fallout was a brand from 'the good old days' of classic rpg's. I vaguely remember the stalwart champion of serious gaming critique, gametrailers, gushing over fallout 3 in "world exclusive" gameplay videos, big showing at E3 etc.

Also, hype has nothing to do with the fact if the game does or does not deserve it, it's just hype.
Old 04-06-2014, 01:51 AM   #14
gamevet

Quote:
Fallout 3 had a lot of hype, Bethesda had a lot of good press after Oblivion and Fallout was a brand from 'the good old days' of classic rpg's. I vaguely remember the stalwart champion of serious gaming critique, gametrailers, gushing over fallout 3 in "world exclusive" gameplay videos, big showing at E3 etc.

Also, hype has nothing to do with the fact if the game does or does not deserve it, it's just hype.
Yeah, Gametrailers did a montage for the original series. It was more like fans of the series hyping up the game (including press), while games like Titanfall seemed more like viral marketing.
Old 04-07-2014, 02:45 AM   #15
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Quote:
hype has nothing to do with the fact if the game does or does not deserve it, it's just hype.
But that's imho exactly the difference of the Titanfall hype to those mentioned more "natural" hypes, where the game either already had a successful predecessor or the hype was growing because more and more fans got excited- after release.

Here it felt like solely based on "Ex-Cod devs" and we desperately need a systemseller, so let's hype this Cod meets Mechs meets Brink game like it's the best, most innovative shooter ever created.

It was more were the hype originated from than if it was deserved or not.

Halo might be the only real similar one. No idea how much it was pushed at its release. But i guess since it was a Mac betrayal it had some attention from the start.

I don't know, in the end it's probably just my subjective perception where the whole "Have you seen..." affair just was super annoying to me like no hype machine before.