About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 03-12-2014, 12:22 PM   #721
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Re: What are you playing right now?

A lot of games are coming out at the same time and I have little time to play anything.

Played about one hour of Bravery Default. It is great for everyone that loves old-school Final Fantasy.

Picked up Dark Souls II and Titanfall yesterday.

I am warming up to Titanfall. I was just a little fatigued by multiplayer shooters. There is enough differences here to warrant a number of hours of online play.

I only played through the introduction of Dark Souls II as stated in its own thread.

Next week I have inFamous, Metal Gear, Final Fantasy X HD, and maybe Ninja Gaiden Z.

Like I said too many games at once. The South Park game and Donkey Kong Country are suppose to be great too.

Thief and Castlevania 2 were poorly reviewed so I'll pass on those.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 09:11 AM   #722
crackajack
64-bit Poster

GT5 servers will be shut down in some weeks, so i had to insert the disc again before the online bonus disappears.

Took me some hours in the last of the five race event to win the Miura in the Lamborghini Special Cup as its prize. Either i totally suck at this game, or it was really one of the harder challenges the game offers. Rather unbalanced game in that regard where the majority of the races are super easy with the allowance of overpowered cars, while when it gets harder it appears really hard.
Next Up: the Ferrari Cup
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2014, 04:11 PM   #723
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by abfackeln View Post
Played about one hour of Bravery Default. It is great for everyone that loves old-school Final Fantasy.
There are far too many JPRGs on the first page of this site right now. We should complain

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackajack View Post
Next Up: the Ferrari Cup
*vomits*

Man, I hated those things.

Playing: Madden, I have lost my mojo and am in a downward spiral. Need to re-focus.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:46 AM   #724
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
*vomits*

Man, I hated those things.
Why?
At least you get to drive some of those hundreds of cars in additional challenges?
And so far they seem much more doable than the harder challenges of the regular training sessions.
I have to get back to them later.

Ferrari Cup was surprisingly easy. The Ferrari Enzo is a beast. Pretty aggressive but not so crazy fast as the Formula 1 cars or the RB prototype. Liked it a lot.

Won a second Miura in the World Classic Cars pre 79 or whatever cup.
The prizes really should be cars the player _not_ already has. Was so happy to have it once and now its value is diminished.
Side note: The Shelby Cobra is fun for drifting but hardly driveable at races.

@namefinder
Has the promised level creator tool via GPS tracking been integrated?
That would probably be a reason why i would consider upgrading.
But actually i think Evolution and PD are forced by Sony to join forces to get a monster driving game called "GT Driveclub" asap.

Also playing Modnation Racer Road Trip on my Vita.
Funny how a first party game has more performance issues than multiplatformer Sega All Star Racing. The framerate (and resolution) drops significantly in some scenes.
I dislike, like in all cart games, the pure luck factor especially when the end results actually depend almost only on the last round. Really annoying to lead two and half laps just to get hit by a weapon on the last corner.
The actual driving is fun, the tracks are ok, but where they messed up was the somewhat confusing button layout and unresponsive touchscreen menu navigation.
Lacking multiplayer is a no-go for many i guess, but considering its vast library of user generated content it has a major advantage over all competitors.
Racing games always have too many cars while there should be more tracks. Trackmania Nations was pure gold therefore. Just skins for the car, no tuning, same rules for everyone, and thousands of tracks.

Last edited by crackajack; 03-17-2014 at 04:48 AM.
Old 04-04-2014, 03:10 AM   #725
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Playing Smart As... since its PS+ Release.
Never played one of those (similar games?) on the DS, but i kinda like the brain training thing. Especially my short term memory is terrible, so i train it a bit especially in game form won't make it worse.
Most games are alright to control, but sometimes the controls are simply game breaking.
P is interpreted as F (ok, that's not that far off), but also as eg. M, N, Z or I. So sort of anything.
"Republik" is hard to write if p is so hard to read for the handwriting recognition.
Another rather impossible game is Math on genius level.
How 9 can be interpreted as a 0 or 3 is beyond me but the mathematical symbols are not working at all. Actually only one, but without it it's impossible.
/ and a simple dot is interpreted as divide (actually "÷").
+ and - are also doable.
But i wasn't able to write a single multiply before time ran up each time.
The symbol is "x" but a hundred times crossing the writing field never was understood. In each size possible, centered and on the borders. In my world a dot would be a possibility but this is "÷" for this program.
How can this be so awful? And why is there no patch? Am i the only one having problems?
Stuff like this wakes the hulk in me.

GT5 progress
Slowly reaching 1000 cars in my garage.
Still failing in the break test on wet tarmac. No idea how i ever managed to get to 19.019 some months ago. Now my best is always around 19.1 in average 19.5. A rather huge gap.
Eiger Nordwand with the Alfa and of course the Vettel Challenges are also not done. I guess i will have to unpack my steering wheel for those.

Played Moto GP 13 for one race. No biker at all in reality and the handling is certainly different than any other racing game. Might be fun.
Old 04-05-2014, 01:34 PM   #726
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Quote:
Why?
At least you get to drive some of those hundreds of cars in additional challenges.
Oh just that I didn't get on with the Ferraris, too hard for me to drive.

Quote:
P is interpreted as F (ok, that's not that far off), but also as eg. M, N, Z or I. So sort of anything.
"Republik" is hard to write if p is so hard to read for the handwriting recognition.
Another rather impossible game is Math on genius level.
How 9 can be interpreted as a 0 or 3 is beyond me but the mathematical symbols are not working at all. Actually only one, but without it it's impossible.
/ and a simple dot is interpreted as divide (actually "÷").
+ and - are also doable.
But i wasn't able to write a single multiply before time ran up each time.
The symbol is "x" but a hundred times crossing the writing field never was understood. In each size possible, centered and on the borders. In my world a dot would be a possibility but this is "÷" for this program.
This sounds phenomenal

I have been playing Dark Souls II (see other thread) and I just qualified for the playoffs in my Madden league today. I get a bye for the wildcard game, followed by a swift exit in the game after:

Old 04-07-2014, 04:22 AM   #727
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Oh just that I didn't get on with the Ferraris, too hard for me to drive.
Interesting. Can't recall any of the Ferraris being hard, other than the Enzo being quite aggressive in its handling.

the cars where i have problems:
Shelby Cobra
Alfa 8C Competitione
Alfa Giula / oldtimer touring car whatever the name was (perfect for the flip over a car trophy)
Audi R8 FSI
Lotus Esprit
ALL rally cars seem to behave abnormal to me.
And of course the RedBull future racers are just too fast.

I was able to do the Eiger Grand Tour Challenge this weekend.
Started with 1:17.7, slowly decreased the time and in my successful run managed to beat it quite comfortable: 1:16.8.
In the end it probably was easier than Beat Zico. The Vettel Challenges on the other hand ... those will require huge numbers of retries and patience.

Quote:
This sounds phenomenal
Luckily there are only two games which require handwriting.

Also not well done:
- game freezes, or at least the touchscreen refusing to work. (only within the game. i can switch to other apps and it works totally fine)
And it is 100% no buttons allowed...
- Over a minute server ranking sync. When going online. And after each street smart challenge.
- Audio recordings for the alphabetize game were certainly not done by some linguistic mastermind. Either the speakers of the vita suck, the encoding fucked it up, the used mic sucked or the speaker was no pro at all.
- letter wheel game suffers from lagging touchscreen inputs

This is certainly a well optimized game!

Same as my comment on Modnation, which seemed less polished than Sega Racing, this Unreal Engine game runs worse than the other UE game i know; Mortal Kombat. There tier 1 games: Uncharted, Soul Sacrifice, Gravity Rush... work well but then there is stuff like Smart As..., Modnation and the almost unplayable port of Jak Daxter.
Seems like Sony is tolerating too much at play testing. As long the result is acceptable it gets green light.

Madden for PS+ would be interesting. And Fifa for the Americans. Just to troll the respective areas.^^
Played Madden95 on the SNES, but since then never stumbled upon a not super outdated football game with a decent price. I liked it but it's only something i would grab if it is under 10€ again.

Last edited by crackajack; 04-07-2014 at 04:27 AM.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:13 AM   #728
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

The car that still gives me problems in any GT is the Mercedes SLS AMG, both the street and race versions. Never managed to get it around the Nürburgring in one piece.

In between Dark Souls 2 I had a quick look at Demon's Souls. Wow, that game feels so clunky now
Old 04-07-2014, 01:12 PM   #729
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Quote:
Madden for PS+ would be interesting. And Fifa for the Americans. Just to troll the respective areas.^^
Played Madden95 on the SNES, but since then never stumbled upon a not super outdated football game with a decent price. I liked it but it's only something i would grab if it is under 10€ again.
It would be interesting, I see PES is there this month but I don't know if I could face it.

Madden has a brutal learning curve too; I only stuck with it because I had already signed up to an online league and didn't want to embarrass myself. I expect PES is the same - I had PES 10 I think and never got on with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
In between Dark Souls 2 I had a quick look at Demon's Souls. Wow, that game feels so clunky now
Lies
Old 04-08-2014, 03:54 AM   #730
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
Never managed to get it around the Nürburgring in one piece.
You unlocked the damage model?^^

The GT-R Nürburgring time trial trophy is bugged?
Drove yesterday the second time under the goal time of 7:29.03.
Vanilla GT-R 07 with hard sports tyres. Just like the trophy asks.
First time i did it in Arcade Mode. Now in GT-Mode in a training session. Which is the same?
Damn. What am i doing wrong?

If this is how it goes on, the Platinum will certainly be a harder task than the one for Wipeout and definitely much more time consuming than DeSouls.
My backlog is crying...
Old 04-08-2014, 04:19 AM   #731
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
You unlocked the damage model?^^
Yes, you only have to enter the Konami code while sacrificing a lamb to the goat god...
Old 04-09-2014, 02:39 AM   #732
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Now i got the Nürburgring-Trophy.
I am not allowed to use my brand new GT-R, instead i have to use the one listed under arcade cars. Did not realize that the car lists were different. Thought the first list is just a filter option for the same car pool.
Actually it was totally the same car, so this pedantry was rather stupid.

Now started the 24h race on the 24h-version of the track. Wow, that is going to be hard. I chose a car that is only about 5-10 seconds faster than the best AI-car and because of the higher speed- compared to the rather easy GT-R- and no allowance for curb driving, some occasional spins will be unavoidable. Plus my Sauber Mercedes needing approx. 10-20 sec. more time in the pits, this might end in a close finish.
Old 04-13-2014, 04:14 AM   #733
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Got Fez on PS3 (had the PC version but felt a gamepad and the couch would suit it better) and then remembered why I didn't go back to it much on PC

1. It's lovely
2. It's very clever

3. It's a bit infuriating, with a real down the rabbithole feel - it constantly opens doors to new areas and you can get really lost.
4. There is a map but the fast-travel thing is a bit opaque (I think it is uni-directional), so again, you can open three doors and be miles away from where you really want to be.
5. There are loads of doors in each level so you end up with access to three dozen levels and all of them half-completed.

Numbers 3-5 there don't seem like something that should bother me. Perhaps I am developing OCD?

There is also no Quit button, which was a bit disconcerting at first. You have to Exit Game from the console menu which is odd (will my game be saved?).

But good, will go back to it soon. It is 10 Euros on PSN if anyone is interested.

Got absolutely battered in the Madden Championship Game (the one before the Superbowl). Changed my tactics without thinking that they played into my opponent's hands, and it was snowing which made my new tactics doubly worse. Rookie mistake.
Old 04-23-2014, 09:07 AM   #734
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Finished the 24h Nürburgring race.
Polyphony must really like their weather effects. It rained almost from start to finish. Ok, only from race hour 6 to 22. The driving did of course not get easier but it actually helped me. The AI slowed much more down than i did myself. So i finished with a lot more lead than i expected after the first laps.

Played some races in Moto GP 13. I like the different handling compared to other racing games, although the vita sticks dead zones and the steering don't go along well at all and analog shoulder triggers would be good.

Smart As...s in game logic confused me when awarding me a trophy for playing the 30th daily training session when a few seconds later the trophy for playing on 25 different days pops. Anyone else sees a problem here? Kinda ridiculous for this type of game to have such errors.
Old 04-23-2014, 12:10 PM   #735
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Nothing really. Am dipping into Fez just to turn the occasional map location gold (all items found) and even though I have been disciplined in not opening new areas, I am still going around in circles a wee bit.

I have no clue what the decipher the clues part of the game means. I haven't really even encountered anything to prompt me to do that.

OOTP Baseball is out now but the task of rebuilding my team is so big that it is offputting.

I bought the new Arcen game - The Last Federation - last night but again it is so intimidating that I don't know when I will start it. I seem to have acquired the habit of buying Arcen games to support them, but not playing them (Skyward Collapse and AVWW2 got minimal playtime after my admirarion for AVWW1).