About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 01-14-2014, 01:08 PM   #691
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Re: What are you playing right now?

Well. The Swapper has a phenomenally annoying game mechanic where in order to ascend or descend shafts, you have to create a clone, swap into it while it's falling through the air, create another clone, and swap into it before the middle clone hits the ground. Fuck knows how annoying this would be going up shafts, but this one has defeated me (clone in the red light, I guess the aim is to slow down time and shoot through the gap as he falls past, then have the wherewithal to swap in and out of another clone before hitting the ground):

Mental dexterity and physical dexterity? Get out of here, Swapper.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 05:58 PM   #692
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Mental dexterity and physical dexterity? Get out of here, Swapper.
A sign of getting old?

I am kinda stuck at the final challenge for the super-license in GT6. This challenge involves getting a Veyron around the Ascari racetrack in less than 2:20:00, which I just don't seem to manage

Part of the issue is the Veyron being as agile as a sloth and the fact that I get disqualified as soon as I get one millimetre off the racetrack (which with the sluggish Veyron happens quite to me very quick). I don't know how often I already had to restart within the first 10 seconds or so. When I try to stay clear of the corners I'm just a bit too slow overall. Compared to this, pushing the Aventador around Brands Hatch was a piece of cake. Hence I can't proceed to the last tier of events. Yay...
Old 01-15-2014, 01:22 PM   #693
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Not just old, but I've never had the manual dexterity to play games that require several simultaneous button presses. It's why I won't play any game with the word Combo associated with it, and why I can't play a game like Fifa that requires you to be an octodigited phenom in order to just tackle someone.

But yes, old too

I had a very interesting evening last night, playing the Steam Trading Card Game.

As I've been playing only PC games since about December, I'd been picking up card drops on Steam. Initially I thought, 'what poor saps are paying money to buy these cards?' and I didn't sell any of mine 'cos I felt I was taking advantage of someone, somewhere.

Then I changed my mind, and sold a bunch of them, and got a few Steam Cents credited to my wallet. I spent this on new games.

Then I noticed that some people on Steam have a extremely nice Profile page, with badges and background images etc. So I decided that I would craft a Mount and Blade badge for myself. For this I needed 10 M&B trading cards, which could be crafted into a badge.

I played M&B Warband for 2 hours or so, and got all 5 badges to drop (each game only drops about 50% of the cards required for a badge). One of these was a duplicate, so I sold it. That left me with 4 badges, and I was able to buy 5 more at 8c each with the money I'd saved from selling my Swapper badges (sold for about 13c each).

I was short one card! I considered adding funds to my wallet (see comment above about saps buying cards) - I needed 8c to buy the last card. Then I realised I could start up FTL and use it to get a couple more cards to sell (2 at 5c each) so I did that.

I bought the card, crafted the badge, got a background theme as a bonus, got a 20% off voucher for some game, I think Crackajack's GOTY, was it Velocity Ultra?, and "levelled up" two Steam levels. A satisfying result! What an evening's gaming!

The interesting thing about buying the cards was that the seller got 6c, Steam got 1c, and Warband (I assume Taleworlds) got 1c. Now, as I didn't use any real money, a lot of this is artificial...but if they are giving the game maker 1c for every card traded, then the cash must be coming from somewhere. I hope there aren't people somewhere ploughing money into this and sustaining us all. There must be though, and I considered it myself.

You can see my new background etc in my profile - I'm Chopper in the Gamecritics group. It's not that great really, but I thought I'd share.
Old 01-21-2014, 12:55 PM   #694
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

Three weeks into the new year and I still haven't finished anything. I'm definitely behind schedule for my 50 game resolution, though not unexpectedly. I mentor for a FIRST Robotics team, making January and February my busiest months. I have been playing when I can, though.

Grid 2:
This was my first racing game that didn't include some form of banana peel. This is the first game I've played in 20 years that made me think "wow, I am really bad at this". I couldn't even finish a whole lap without crashing several times. I've improved immensely over the last ten or so hours, and it was a lot of fun learning a completely new skill. Now that I'm shaving seconds off of my lap times rather than minutes, it's a lot less exciting. I enjoyed my time with it, but I'm going to set it aside.

Hotline Miami:
It's fun, but so far it's nothing special. And a game this violent needs something special for me to put up with it, so I guess I'm done with this one too.

Ibb and Obb:
This would be a fairly standard and unimpressive puzzle platformer, except that the game focuses all its energy on co-operative gameplay. It's amazing how much this improves the experience. I'm eager to get back to this one, but since it has to be fit into two people's schedules, I'm not sure when that will be.

Long Live the Queen:
This game is surprisingly fun, considering it's all charts and still images of anime princesses. The game feels like a really complicated choose your own adventure book. I've had fun creating various princess characters (bookworm, debutante, tomboy) and seeing how long each survives in the game's narrative, but it's getting annoying starting over and reading through the same events over and over again. If the game designers could figure out how to make the game less repetitive (random events rather than a set storyline perhaps), then I think they'd have a niche classic on their hands.

Last edited by Zanbatou; 01-21-2014 at 01:13 PM.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 02:04 PM   #695
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Are you counting any of these as 'finished'? Grid2?

I'm sad that you didn't like Hotline Miami. I guess it's nothing to do with the controls? I hated it on PC, but enjoyed it on PS3 with a controller. What you're describing aren't control issues though, so I'm grasping at straws

I'm not really playing anything. I spent two hours the other night looking at animated gifs on the internet. What has my life become?

I played a little more DayZ. I have a gun now! But I don't feel like shooting anyone...
Old 01-22-2014, 06:48 PM   #696
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanbatou View Post
Three weeks into the new year and I still haven't finished anything. I'm definitely behind schedule for my 50 game resolution [...]
Just look for some games that can be finished within 2 hours and you'll manage to catch up

from the other thread:
Quote:
What is the combat like in The Banner Saga? I saw a video and it looked tedious. The game looks gorgeous but I've held off on buying it because of that (plus the other half of the gameplay seems to be King of Dragon Pass type stuff, which I didn't get on with either).
I never played Dragon Pass, hence I can't comment on the latter. The turn based combat is definitely 'different'. A couple of things need getting used to, for example that it's better to bring all enemies to 1 health instead of killing them outright, since turns are alternating in a funny way. If you have 6 people but the AI only has 2 left, they essentially get 3 times as many actions per unit as they should get.

I had one fight where two almost dead slingers did way more damage than they feasibly should, because the way the initiative works. Only when one enemy is left it goes to 'pillage', which essentially means the lone survivor has to wait for all enemies to take a turn. Also, hitpoints and damage are the same stat, which is interesting. If you uncertain, just try out the free multiplayer game 'factions' and have a look yourself.

But the main draw comes not from the turn based combat, but from the story and decisions to take along the way. I'm definitely hooked on the game, just realized it's past midnight

Quote:
Congrats on the S-License
Thanks

But now I lost a bit interest in GT6, mainly due to The Banner Saga being more entertaining.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:29 AM   #697
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
I am kinda stuck at the final challenge for the super-license in GT6. This challenge involves getting a Veyron around the Ascari racetrack in less than 2:20:00, which I just don't seem to manage
To give me a perspective. Compared to the (imo totally insane) Vettel-Red Bull prototype challenges in GT5 is this harder / easier / ???

Playing Resistance 2 and questioning every second i waste with it. So far. The last remaining level will certainly be fantastic.
Have not played the first one and could not bring myself to read the texts in the pause menu.
So pretty clueless what has happened and what my goal in this game is except getting through the corridor.

A functional totally boring shooter. Pretty much like HL1.

Last edited by crackajack; 01-24-2014 at 07:32 AM.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 08:56 AM   #698
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackajack View Post
To give me a perspective. Compared to the (imo totally insane) Vettel-Red Bull prototype challenges in GT5 is this harder / easier / ???
Not sure, since I didn't finish the Vettel Challenges in GT5 (because they were not required to advance to the last tier of races). So I gave up on them after failing a couple of times. The Veyron Challenge took me countless attempts over the course of a week (since I wanted to go on to the S-races). Perhaps I'd have managed the Vettel Challenges as well with the same time investment.

Oh, and Vettel-Red-Bull is back in GT6, fortunately not with a vengeance, but with a series of races that make me feel I'm driving F-Zero and not a racing 'sim'.
Old 01-27-2014, 06:02 AM   #699
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Quote:
...driving F-Zero and not a racing 'sim'.
The car is definitely a huge jump in speed. A supercharged Formula 1 car with extra horsepower, gigantic downforce and brute breaks. But it doesn't seem completely off the games sim rules and maybe even really possible in reality.

Started Crysis 3 (PS3) after Resistance 2.
ugh... the framerate (or frame latency) is total garbage. Can't remember if Crysis 2 was bad. It probably wasn't as smooth and constant as other shooters but i can't remember having any issue with it.
Very disappointing since i liked Crysis 2, although its openness was shrunk compared to Crysis 1, and thought this would just be new levels another chapter of the story, and an added bow.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:24 AM   #700
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

I've started two more games without finishing any of the old ones. If my resolution was to start 50 games (or even 100) I'd be well on my way to completing it.

La-Mulana
I noticed a Kickstarter campaign for La-Mulana 2 and decided to try the first one to see if its developers were worth funding. I knew nothing about the game going in, but it looked like a simple 2d platformer that I could possibly finish over the weekend.

After four hours, I realized this is an unapologetic notebook game (as in, you need to take detailed notes in order to progress). At eight hours, I realized it was one of the hardest (or at least, most cryptic) notebook games I've played. Only then did I finally do some research to find out what I had gotten into. What the hell is this game?

One thing is clear though, La-Mulana 2 definitely deserves funding.

Hearthstone
I'm going to need to come up with my own personal criteria for "complete" for this one. I suspect I'll be playing it a lot. I have a weakness for magic card games.

Last edited by Zanbatou; 01-27-2014 at 11:27 AM.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:35 PM   #701
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

To take a break from make-or-break-decisionmaking in The Banner Saga, I started Tomb Raider, which I bought in the last steam sale on a whim. So far I'm most impressed by the next-gen hair physics. Sounds like a silly thing to be impressed by, but it does make the characters instantly more believable than the usual dolls who look like their hair has been made from plastic or cast iron.
Old 01-30-2014, 01:33 PM   #702
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Quote:
The turn based combat is definitely 'different'. A couple of things need getting used to, for example that it's better to bring all enemies to 1 health instead of killing them outright, since turns are alternating in a funny way. If you have 6 people but the AI only has 2 left, they essentially get 3 times as many actions per unit as they should get.
I read the review and couldn't figure this out from that either. Say you have 6 people left, ABCDE & F and the CPU has two, G & H.....so the combat goes, ABCDEFGH, ABCDEFGH, no? What you seem to be describing is ABCDEF GH GH GH...

Still on the fence about this game, will probably not get it. Which leaves me in a bind as I have no game I want to play right now..

Been playing a lot of Madden as it is the 2nd season playoffs in our 32-man league. Got beat in the Divisional Game...Bengals 34 Chargers 20 Back to the drawing board.
Old 01-30-2014, 03:01 PM   #703
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Say you have 6 people left, ABCDE & F and the CPU has two, G & H.....so the combat goes, ABCDEFGH, ABCDEFGH, no? What you seem to be describing is ABCDEF GH GH GH...
No, much better:
A-G-B-H-C-G-D-H-E-G-F-H and so on, which means if G is a monstrous beast with almost full health and armor of epic proportions, he can smash half your squad to dust before e.g. you can use the character being best at smashing armor, which is vital for bringing down larger enemies.

Also, if you knock out e.g. enemy H, G gets a free turn before you can proceed, even if it would not be his turn. Who thought that would be a good idea?

edit:
Apart from ranting I should also say what I play right now: Gran Turismo 6, started to use electric cars in as many races as possible. Turns out the Tesla Model S and Roadster are pretty neat for tracks with many turns and not that many long straights. The acceleration of those two is just mindblowing. However, they lack top speed, so at e.g. Monza it can be tricky to catch up on the long straight.

Last edited by Li-Ion; 01-30-2014 at 03:06 PM.
Li-Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:47 AM   #704
crackajack
32-bit Poster

After immediately abandoning Crysis 3 i try to finally finish Dead Space2.
It's ok, but it's worse than the first one. Better horror than the action Resident Evils of late but without its novelty factor it's not as good anymore and although it's similar its deficiency appear more obvious.
Now i'm constantly thinking why did they include so many people in a wannabe horror game instead of supporting a creepy atmosphere by lack of people.
And secondly how good a new metroid prime game could be. If they don't include some space marine- any talking people- shit again...
Sound design seems again great though. Something EA and especially Visceral did right in the last years.
Old 01-31-2014, 11:38 AM   #705
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Quote:
No, much better:
A-G-B-H-C-G-D-H-E-G-F-H and so on, which means if G is a monstrous beast with almost full health and armor of epic proportions, he can smash half your squad to dust before e.g. you can use the character being best at smashing armor, which is vital for bringing down larger enemies.
That is hilarious

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackajack View Post
...Dead Space2.
It's ok, but it's worse than the first one.
Now i'm constantly thinking why did they include so many people in a wannabe horror game instead of supporting a creepy atmosphere by lack of people.
Sound design seems again great though. Something EA and especially Visceral did right in the last years.
Agree on all points, and not to spoil the ending but it is poor. I had decided not to get 3 by the time I'd finished 2. It seems to be that they had the hit with the first one on a medium scale, then decided to go progressively more shooter and less horror with the next two. It didn't work but I guess you can't blame them for trying to turn it into a massive hit and make the big bucks from games that look very expensive to produce.