About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 01-05-2014, 03:19 PM   #2101
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

XCOM Enemy Unknown on iOS, classic ironman. Was too easy, didn't loose a single country and only 3 soldiers. Started some ironman impossible for fun.
Old 01-08-2014, 03:18 PM   #2102
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

I beat Zelda: Link Between Worlds. about 2 weeks ago. Like I said before it is pretty much A Link to the Past Second Quest. Another way to look at it is New Zelda A link to the Past.

I have mixed feelings since it is such a rehash. I liked it but it felt tooo familiar. The top down Zelda is a welcome comeback and it is better than the original DS games, but would of like a new map/ world to explore.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2014, 06:51 AM   #2103
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Nice, the podcast seemed to like it a lot, and the Twitter sidebar seems to be full of Zelda these days.

I have beaten .... Hammerwatch (PC).

A Gauntlet-a-like, I guess. Fantastic game, at 27 hours it has become my 4th most-played game on Steam, above State of Decay but below Star Wolves 3(!). Quite a few of those hours were spent learning how to play the game - for example in my first game I dismissed gathering the loot as needless busywork, not knowing you needed it all for powerups. Then I started on Hard and cleared the first level but couldn't beat the boss etc. Then I got lost and couldn't find the final key on one of the levels etc.

But all in all, a fantastic game. If it goes on sale again, snap it up!
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2014, 06:00 PM   #2104
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Since I consider a game 'beaten' when the end credits roll, I've 'beaten' GT6 after finishing the final event before the 'super' tier. But I can't proceed to this at the moment, hence I just wonder what to do next...
Old 01-15-2014, 01:03 PM   #2105
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
... hence I just wonder what to do next...
You could always play XCOM on the PS3, you seem to have somehow missed out on that one
Old 01-20-2014, 06:24 PM   #2106
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
You could always play XCOM on the PS3, you seem to have somehow missed out on that one
No, but I have the Banner Saga now. Lovely so far. Only played for a bit but I love the art style and the 'no one is safe' approach to the characters.

Also, finally got the S-license in GT6. Got me to the brink of insanity. I don't like heavy, sluggish cars and by that I hate driving the Bugatti Veyron. But now that is done, I have access to the S-license stuff with endurance races and all that stuff.
Old 01-22-2014, 02:06 PM   #2107
Pedro
64-bit Poster

What is the combat like in The Banner Saga? I saw a video and it looked tedious. The game looks gorgeous but I've held off on buying it because of that (plus the other half of the gameplay seems to be King of Dragon Pass type stuff, which I didn't get on with either).

Congrats on the S-License
Old 01-28-2014, 09:23 AM   #2108
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Finished The Banner Saga. Good game, but...

*sigh*

...for a game that is so big on choices, my choices mattered suspiciously little at the end. I guess they wanted to tell their story at the end. I was highly entertained for about 10 of my 13 hours of my playtime. Until the point where I did some reloading and tried some other choices (which I don't want to spoil), realizing that every action will eventually lead down to one final path. Mass Effect had at least three different colours by the end of it.

In the Banner Saga, the choices you take are ultimately meaningless. What really suspended my disbelief is the Capcom way of storytelling in games "if it didn't happen in a cutscene, it doesn't count", which finds it's way into the Banner Saga as "if it happens on the battlefield, it doesn't count". Characters can die, especially those who don't have a unique face tend to fare badly as result of dialogue choices, but they can't die in battle unless the script says so. I had one particular character getting beaten to a pulp every battle, but he went on to the very end, while one NPC who wasn't important enough got killed up in a throwaway line as result of some decision I made in the Dragon Pass-esque section of the game.

It is a beautiful game and I would urge everyone with a liking for rpg-lite with tactical combat to have a look. But the saga of vikings and varl unfortunately has a lot of missed potential and is too much in love with some of it's own storytelling to let players allow too much freedom.

The last two hours turned the beautiful game into a rather disappointing one, when all the ropes, smoke and mirrors could be seen behind the curtain. Well, there is hope the next game of the Saga will allow players more freedom.
Old 03-10-2014, 05:18 PM   #2109
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall

The return of Shadowrun Returns is actually quite enjoyable. If I'd have to put a number on it, would be a solid 7.
Old 04-03-2014, 08:10 PM   #2110
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Competed my first game of 2014! Metal Gear Solid V: Ground Zero. Hooray for 1 hour demos sold as retail games! Actually it is really good with a lot of side things to do... but it is a one hour mission sold as a full retail game.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 03:13 AM   #2111
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Dark Souls 2, details in the appropriate forum thread.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:02 AM   #2112
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

I just finished Beyond: Two Souls. I wish I'd made an effort to finish it when it came out so I could have participated more in the discussions then. It seems like a fun game to talk about. The game is a mess, and it did so many things wrong... yet overall I'm left with a very positive opinion of it.

I remember why I bought the game in the first place. I saw a gameplay video where a young Jodie is asked a question by one of the scientists studying her, and the player gets to choose rather to shrug or say yes. In terms of the plot, it probably doesn't matter at all which one you choose, but the shrug from the video was so shy and expressive that it stuck with me.

The game is full of these little role playing opportunities that, despite being incredibly limited, are expressive in a way that I don't see offered anywhere else. It sucks that you can't answer 'no' to a question the game expects a 'yes' to, but being able to choose how you say yes ends up being just as interesting a decision.

I'm glad I don't have to write a review of the game, because my closing statement would be something like "The game itself is a train wreck, full of terrible design choices and an incredibly inconsistent story... but it let me choose whether to shrug or not, and somehow that made up for everything".

Last edited by Zanbatou; 04-16-2014 at 12:11 PM.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 03:30 PM   #2113
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanbatou View Post
The game is a mess, and it did so many things wrong... yet overall I'm left with a very positive opinion of it.
I'm not sure it's a mess exactly, I agree it is quite silly in places but apart from that I thought it was a fairly cohesive whole (within the story, which yes is a bit silly), as a game and a story. I was hugely invested in Jodie, and I didn't find anything too jarring as the game progressed.

Quote:
The game is full of these little role playing opportunities that, despite being incredibly limited, are expressive in a way that I don't see offered anywhere else. It sucks that you can't answer 'no' to a question the game expects a 'yes' to, but being able to choose how you say yes ends up being just as interesting a decision.
Yes! Agreed. I have said a couple of places that it was the most meaningful role-playing experience I have had. All these small, totally normal, meaningful only on a personal level, things. There is a huge amount of heart in this game.

Quote:
I'm glad I don't have to write a review of the game, because my closing statement would be something like "The game itself is a train wreck, full of terrible design choices and an incredibly inconsistent story... but it let me choose whether to shrug or not, and somehow that made up for everything".
There was pretty much consensus among reviewers, which I was surprised at. I personally thought that people were just waiting to give Cage a kicking but on balance the criticism was pretty uniform (Mike Bracken has no axe to grind and he slammed it so whaddya gonna do?).

I'm happy to let the inconsistencies and the occasional dodgy section slide though. For me the biggest mistake was casting Willem Dafoe (he already occupies Uncanny Valley in real life, please don't put him in a game). For the rest of it, it was a pleasant James Bond-type production, with an utterly surprising heart and soul.

You have probably seen this article - http://playersdelight.blogspot.ca/20...eature-is.html
Old 04-22-2014, 12:35 AM   #2114
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

I have seen that article before, but I'm glad you brought it up again after I played the game. I especially like the list at the end outlining a bunch of things the author appreciated about the game. Spot on.

However, while I'm glad the article points out the hidden depths of the game, I reject the premise that the game's "invisible choice system" failed because it was ahead of its time. It failed because it was implemented so inconsistently. The game is so inconsistent about where it let the player go and what it let the player do that it's not surprising that many people gave up and just started following all prompts as given.

The game spends hours punishing players with invisible walls whenever they try to stray off the telegraphed path, but then places some of its most touching content off the telegraphed path. I knew to be on the lookout for more content because I read that article before playing the game, but it still felt clumsy. I spent a lot of time searching for content that ended up not being there.

There's a scene early on where Jodie wants to sneak out of her room to go to a party, but the only way to do that is to mind control her friend Cole. I searched Jodie's room over and over again looking for any alternative, including abandoning the escape plan altogether, because that action is morally reprehensible. (It's one of the unforgivable curses! Come on!). Finally I sighed and played along because clearly it was the only way to advance the story. Later on when it actually is possible to make some interesting choices, there's no indication given that the player should expect anything more than the single path they'd been trained to follow up to that point.

So you either miss out on content, or waste time searching for content where there isn't any. That plus QTEs equals a mess of a game in my book.

But again, I really enjoyed Beyond: Two Souls, despite everything. I feel like I'm on the wrong side of this discussion. I would side with the game's defenders!

Last edited by Zanbatou; 04-22-2014 at 12:52 AM.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 02:01 PM   #2115
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanbatou View Post
But again, I really enjoyed Beyond: Two Souls, despite everything. I feel like I'm on the wrong side of this discussion. I would side with the game's defenders!
No, I get you, it's cool You make some very good points up above and I'm not arguing against them per se (especially as I forget bits of the game). I am probably a bit too pro-B2S myself.

Quote:
However, while I'm glad the article points out the hidden depths of the game, I reject the premise that the game's "invisible choice system" failed because it was ahead of its time. It failed because it was implemented so inconsistently. The game is so inconsistent about where it let the player go and what it let the player do that it's not surprising that many people gave up and just started following all prompts as given.
Definitely a bit of work to do on the control scheme etc, and you were railroaded at times for narrative effect. I appreciate that however - I'm the kind of player who pokes around at everything and I liked that the game gave me some scope for that as well.

Quote:
There's a scene early on where Jodie wants to sneak out of her room to go to a party, but the only way to do that is to mind control her friend Cole. I searched Jodie's room over and over again looking for any alternative, including abandoning the escape plan altogether, because that action is morally reprehensible. (It's one of the unforgivable curses! Come on!). Finally I sighed and played along because clearly it was the only way to advance the story. Later on when it actually is possible to make some interesting choices, there's no indication given that the player should expect anything more than the single path they'd been trained to follow up to that point.
I could give a spoiler warning here but let's face it, no one who reads this will play the game

I was the same - I enjoyed being able to trash the guitar and stuff like that (or at least fling it around the room) and I was following the narrative and was upset that this was the way they did it - by possessing Cole, I felt really bad. But it made absolute sense as a resentful teenager who is essentially in prison, and wait'll you hear this - I was struck by remorse (after unbelievably clearing the first guard) and I was actually able to abandon the whole thing when we got to the base gate! I can't remember how exactly, but I think I took the keys out of the ignition. I can't remember if there was a scripted piece to deal with that but I was able to not leave the base. So I never made it to the bar and therefore the dinner date went well etc (another great role playing piece where I was able to resist wrecking Jodie's happiness, though it was tough). I didn't know about the bar at all till I read that piece.

There were definite highlights and lowlights. The highlights were the bits where you got to make personal decisions (teen party, goth-period party, dinner date, accept/reject Dude, family stuff like when the dad left etc). They couldn't have been implemented any better.

I also enjoyed the Bond-type stuff - Africa was silly but easy to get through, loved the Kazakhstani(or whatever) base and that whole part of the game. I felt everyone else took those parts much too seriously. I even enjoyed the Navajo stuff for what it was. The other secret agent stuff was a bit Meh.

What a game, I shouldn't have traded it