About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 12-26-2013, 10:18 PM   #31
gamevet

Re: Best Games of this Generation

I picked up Diablo III (PS3) last Friday. I'd held out on buying the game for my PC, because of the horror stories I've been hearing about the auction house ruining the experience.

I've been grinding through the single player campaign like a mad-man on crack. This game has Mike Bracken written all over it, with the massive amount of items you collect, sell and modify with the blacksmith. The narrative and character voicing is top notch, with voices like the old man from Vay and several other cult movies (James Hong) from the past. Right now, this game is a 9+ on my rating system, with me holding out the other point until after I've jumped into multiplayer.

I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned this game.

Last edited by gamevet; 12-26-2013 at 10:26 PM.
gamevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 01:06 PM   #32
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Maybe because it has such PC roots, everyone played the PC version and spoiled it for themselves? Interesting to hear it's such a good game - I don't really know what to make of ARPGs myself, so I probably won't play it though.

I'm going to award some more scores

5 - The Path
From Tale of Tales. These guys rub a lot of people the wrong way, but I think they are the proponents of the true Art game which challenges the way we think (as opposed to something that is sentimental and makes us feel strong emotion). I couldn't recommend this to anyone, and I never want to play it again, but it changed my viewpoint on some things and has stayed with me this last few years.

5 - To the Moon
The original powerfully sentimental non-game. Wonderful stuff.

More later, have to get my tea.

I've just noticed, no Nier on this list....long may it continue
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2013, 08:44 PM   #33
gamevet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Maybe because it has such PC roots, everyone played the PC version and spoiled it for themselves? Interesting to hear it's such a good game - I don't really know what to make of ARPGs myself, so I probably won't play it though.
I'd only played the 1st Diablo on PC and wasn't a big fan of the mouse and keyboard interface for that game. The original Fallout had those same sort of issues, with the clunky point at the enemies using the mouse.

I held out on Diablo III, because I was not looking forward to a mouse and keyboard for an action RPG. It wasn't until I had played the demo, that I'd downloaded from PSN, that I finally cracked and got the game for the PS3. The reviews praise the game for being an improvement on the consoles.

Last edited by gamevet; 12-27-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Old 12-28-2013, 04:30 AM   #34
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Yeah, every time I see a comment on the console version, it's receiving high praise. I didn't know there was a demo on psn so I'll have to check that out, cheers.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 05:20 AM   #35
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

My only problem with Diablo III for the PC was that it was way too easy.

The game constantly rewards you with all sorts of new weapons and armor, but none of it matters since you could beat the game with your starting gear. I eventually stopped even looking at the loot the enemies dropped because it was clear I would never need any of it.

The new abilities were more fun to unlock because at least they provided some new ways to obliterate your enemies, but I never felt like I needed those either.

Everything else about the game (the artwork, story, the responsiveness of the gameplay) were all great. A single programmer could probably fix everything in a day by adding some harder difficulty levels. Multiply all damage dealt to the player by 4. The game is literally one line of code away from being good.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2013, 07:35 AM   #36
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Gran Turismo 6 10 points - it's the game that GT5 should have been. The weather, the night races, the new simulation model, everything is wonderful in what I think is the reference point for future console racing games and simulations. I don't know any other racing game that has the same breadth of experiences, from kart racing on neon-lit kart tracks to racing with muscle cars to GT and endurance races to driving on the moon. Nothing else comes close and I admire the level of detail in the premium cars, down to the fully working dashboards, knobs and warning lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanbatou View Post
That was one of the main problems I think. For experienced players, i.e. someone who can operate mouse and keyboard better than a 3-year old, there was no challenge on 'normal' difficulty. Clicking on enemies made them dead, no strategy or thinking involved. A game as inspiring as cowclicker. It needed 50 or so levels until the game got to a point where I had to start thinking about my gear. What broke the camels back in my case was the straw of level restrictions for the higher difficulties. I finished the game on the second to highest (forgot how it's called) and couldn't advance to the next difficulty because I was 3 levels too low to start. WTF? How can that even happen in a game that is otherwise streamlined into oblivion? The gameplay was so uninspiring that I didn't feel like grinding those 3 levels to get further, I just stopped there and never switched on again. There are plenty of other good games out there.
Old 12-28-2013, 09:34 PM   #37
gamevet

Quote:

The game constantly rewards you with all sorts of new weapons and armor, but none of it matters since you could beat the game with your starting gear. I eventually stopped even looking at the loot the enemies dropped because it was clear I would never need any of it.

The new abilities were more fun to unlock because at least they provided some new ways to obliterate your enemies, but I never felt like I needed those either.

Everything else about the game (the artwork, story, the responsiveness of the gameplay) were all great. A single programmer could probably fix everything in a day by adding some harder difficulty levels. Multiply all damage dealt to the player by 4. The game is literally one line of code away from being good.
I'm not quite sure about the PS3 version, but I don't recall any settings to make the game more difficult. Once you've beaten the game, the option to play through at harder difficulties do become available.

There are moments where I do need all of the fancy perks for my armor and weapons, since I'm getting surrounded by countless enemies. Without those perks, my character would be getting its arse handed to it.

I'm on the last chapter of the campaign, so once I've finished the game, I plan on using the harder difficulties (it opens up additional krafting options) and doing a different class. Maybe then, will I take this game online.
Old 12-30-2013, 04:14 AM   #38
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

From what I understand, beating the game on normal only unlocks higher difficulties for that character. If you want to try out a different class, you have to play through normal again.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2013, 04:58 PM   #39
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
If you want to try out a different class, you have to play through normal again.
Which is extremely boring.
Old 12-31-2013, 09:25 PM   #40
gamevet

Quote:
From what I understand, beating the game on normal only unlocks higher difficulties for that character. If you want to try out a different class, you have to play through normal again.
I think you're right.

I've completed the game and started a new campaign on the hard setting with my existing character. I didn't see an option to do that with a new character.