About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Next-Gen Console Games

Notices

Old 12-13-2013, 02:18 PM   #16
Chi Kong Lui
Next-Gen Site Owner

Re: 'Sup?

Hey guys, here's a thought with regards to the community forum submissions:

We can ditch the ratings and instead simply have you guys, GC forums regulars/moderators, offer advice to the writers as you normally do and email Brad and myself anytime you feel a review is ready to be published on our site.

Would you guys be up for that?
Old 12-13-2013, 05:23 PM   #17
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

So people would submit potential reviews/articles to the forum, and if they got enough positive feedback from forum members they would be added as content to the main site?

That sounds good to me. This community seems small enough that something like that would work.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 07:59 PM   #18
Chi Kong Lui
Next-Gen Site Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanbatou View Post
So people would submit potential reviews/articles to the forum, and if they got enough positive feedback from forum members they would be added as content to the main site?

That sounds good to me. This community seems small enough that something like that would work.
Yes, but the key is that we need a select group of forum users to evaluate the reviews, provide feedback and contact Brad and I directly. There doesn't need to multiple votes either. If you think the review is close to primetime, you just email us to let us know.
Old 12-14-2013, 07:07 AM   #19
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Thumbs up Re: 'Sup?

Sounds good, I'd be up for it. That would be making the whole community submission process quicker and perhaps more transparent.
Old 12-15-2013, 05:12 AM   #20
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I think it is a good idea, with some caveats:

Would it be ok if just one person emailed Chi & Brad when they thought something was close, or would it have to be agreement by committee? We're probably not all on here enough to do the latter, or to reach agreement by discussion.

In regard to the above, in my opinion submitted reviews that are close to primetime (great phrase) already jump off the page and their quality shines through (see Ercoman's reviews last year, for example). Hence I think the process would work if any one of us reads a review like that and sends an email. Obviously Chi & Brad are the gatekeepers and it's then up to them.

Also in regard to 'nearly there' reviews - we're not writers obviously, so with these reviews I don't think it is helpful for us to offer minor edits - it would be better to send the email and let proper editors do that. I don't know how much editing you do for your regular contributors but I expect there is some. Brad and Chi would just have to trust us that we are sending through something that is not a mess but nearly there.

Obviously the majority of contributions need a lot of work so we would try and help out there, provide some pointers, and keep them away from Chi & Brad.

Feedback: I wouldn't want any personal feedback after the mail is sent but by the same measure we couldn't guarantee the writer any feedback unless Chi or Brad then popped in to do that.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2013, 07:11 AM   #21
Chi Kong Lui
Next-Gen Site Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Would it be ok if just one person emailed Chi & Brad when they thought something was close, or would it have to be agreement by committee? We're probably not all on here enough to do the latter, or to reach agreement by discussion.

In regard to the above, in my opinion submitted reviews that are close to primetime (great phrase) already jump off the page and their quality shines through (see Ercoman's reviews last year, for example). Hence I think the process would work if any one of us reads a review like that and sends an email. Obviously Chi & Brad are the gatekeepers and it's then up to them.
Agreed. This does not need to be done by committee. If we see multiple recommendations though, that would really get our attention even quicker.

Quote:
Also in regard to 'nearly there' reviews - we're not writers obviously, so with these reviews I don't think it is helpful for us to offer minor edits - it would be better to send the email and let proper editors do that. I don't know how much editing you do for your regular contributors but I expect there is some. Brad and Chi would just have to trust us that we are sending through something that is not a mess but nearly there.
Yes, I'm not asking you guys to do any grammatical editing and/or proofing. You also are not obligated to offer every single review submission feedback. Some writers will be beyond our scope of help. A lack of response on a review is essentially its own type of feedback.

And once something is submitted, it will go through our regular editing/proofing process.

Quote:
Obviously the majority of contributions need a lot of work so we would try and help out there, provide some pointers, and keep them away from Chi & Brad.

Feedback: I wouldn't want any personal feedback after the mail is sent but by the same measure we couldn't guarantee the writer any feedback unless Chi or Brad then popped in to do that.
I'm confused by this last part here. Are you asking that we work directly with the writer after you've given your recommendation?
Old 12-15-2013, 07:46 AM   #22
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Just saying that our involvement ends after making a recommendation to you - it's between you and the writer then, whether you want to work directly with them, contact them, or not. We don't act as go-betweens or anything like that (probably obvious but just wanted to clarify that).

Quote:
Yes, I'm not asking you guys to do any grammatical editing and/or proofing. You also are not obligated to offer every single review submission feedback. Some writers will be beyond our scope of help. A lack of response on a review is essentially its own type of feedback.
Agreed
Old 12-15-2013, 01:38 PM   #23
Chi Kong Lui
Next-Gen Site Owner

Quote:
Just saying that our involvement ends after making a recommendation to you - it's between you and the writer then, whether you want to work directly with them, contact them, or not. We don't act as go-betweens or anything like that (probably obvious but just wanted to clarify that).
Yes, that is exactly what I had in mind.

So it looks like we're off to a good start with everyone that has chimed in thus far. If anyone else plans on participating, let me know. I'll send Brad and I's email contact info via PM later.
Old 12-17-2013, 12:15 PM   #24
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Cool. Thanks for acting on this, Chi.