About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 06-28-2013, 06:03 PM   #2071
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

Will it be on your game of the year list?

I finished:

Lord of the Rings: War in the North

Pleasant and enjoyable in co-op and doesn't wear out its welcome. I wouldn't fancy playing it single player, but enjoyable old codswallop in co-op.

The Last of Us

Well, I'm glad I bought this game. It will definitely be there or thereabouts in the GOTY discussion. I didn't really like the gameplay, which was heavily stealth-focused, but everything else about the game was pretty special. That said, I wouldn't be in any hurry to play it again. 8 out of 10.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:04 PM   #2072
Pedro
128-bit Poster

I am poisoning the False King as we speak, so Demon's Souls again.

Edit: Also I am downgrading my rating for The Last of Us to a 7. Thinking about it, it is hugely impressive technically, but I really didn't enjoy the gameplay that much.

Last edited by Pedro; 07-08-2013 at 12:16 PM.
Old 07-14-2013, 03:40 AM   #2073
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Little Inferno (PC)

Quirky and amusing, if you like that type of thing. You order stuff from a catalogue and set fire to it, and get rewarded for puzzle combinations (eg Zombie Garden is a toy zombie, and you chuck that into the fireplace with some seeds and when you set fire to it, flowers grow and you get the combo as the zombie dies shrieking in flames).

Being thick, I figured out 54 out of the 99 combos on my first run through, which took 3 and a half hours.

Good, very enjoyable.
Old 07-14-2013, 07:22 AM   #2074
JLB1987
Sex machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Little Inferno (PC)

Quirky and amusing, if you like that type of thing. You order stuff from a catalogue and set fire to it, and get rewarded for puzzle combinations (eg Zombie Garden is a toy zombie, and you chuck that into the fireplace with some seeds and when you set fire to it, flowers grow and you get the combo as the zombie dies shrieking in flames).

Being thick, I figured out 54 out of the 99 combos on my first run through, which took 3 and a half hours.

Good, very enjoyable.
You've encouraged me to try it- it's in the Steam sales, and I want to see if I can beat your intitial run of it

Currently playing: Prison Architect, Serious Sam HD
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2013, 12:20 PM   #2075
Pedro
128-bit Poster

ha ha, be interesting to see what you make of it. The 3.5 hour time is just there as a guide to how long the game lasts (and you could burn through it in half that, probably) - not a target. The (rather poor) target is 54!
Old 07-29-2013, 06:24 AM   #2076
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Yes, I still can finish games occasionally. This time:
Shadowrun Returns! Which is a game that probably would never been made without kickstarter. A crpg with a powerful editor that's more akin to a development suite than a simple level editor, set in the Shadowrun universe, which had it's heyday in the 90ies. It's man meets machine meets magic in a quite unique genre-mix that works surprisingly well to combine a dystopian corporate society with a neat take on fantasy elements.

I played through in about 12 to 13 hours with a decker character, those individuals who can traverse the future-internet called matrix (not THAT matrix though and SR was way before the Matrix movies) to gather information, since information is power. My focus on decking (hacking) and social (charisma) meant I was oddly unprepared for early fights, where all I could do was spray and pray (actual name of the ability). Luckily not that much time is spent fighting anyway. It's mostly dialogue (a very story-driven game) and investigation. The whole game reminded me more on a Film Noir detective story than a classical rpg. That might not be everyone's cup of tea but I quite enjoyed it. The story itself is a bit predictable, but the quality of the writing carried me through the game no problem. Where a typical bioware rpg would flood me with endless seeming dialogue and exposition I don't ask for, Shadowrun managed to paint a lively picture of the world and characters quite elegant.

From a technical standpoint it has it's issues, number one being the awkward save system. There is no quicksave, only autosave at the beginning of each section. That resulted in me having to repeat a section early on 3 times since my poor decker got killed quite easily in early combat encounters. The UI could also use some work.

Overall a good game and promise for things to come. There should be a Berlin-centric DLC coming soon to which I look forward to. Since the world and the role of Shadowrunners is well established in the first episode, I really hope the next episode will be a less linear affair and leaves more possibilities to just explore some things on the side.

Thumbs up.
Old 07-31-2013, 12:10 PM   #2077
JLB1987
Sex machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
Yes, I still can finish games occasionally. This time:
Shadowrun Returns! Which is a game that probably would never been made without kickstarter. A crpg with a powerful editor that's more akin to a development suite than a simple level editor, set in the Shadowrun universe, which had it's heyday in the 90ies.
Thumbs up.
Have you messed around with the editor yet? I'm interested in the game, but the fact it's so linear (from what I've heard) is discouraging, albeit understandable considering it only had, what, a year in development? I have a certain amount of patience with editors, assuming I don't have to learn anything to complex (it's not that I couldn't, I used to make simple games in my school days using DarkBasic.It's that I can't be bothered).

Currently playing: Prison Architect, Serious Sam HD
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 10:39 AM   #2078
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I had a brief look at it and it looks rather complicated. Not complex, complicated. I think if you chew yourself into that, you might as well chew yourself into the REDkit, with the benefit of getting something that looks like the Witcher 2. I start understanding why the campaign is so linear, since it seems to be rather tricky to create an adventure with a real sense of persistence. That said, I'll still try to make at least one short run and already have a collaborator on that topic. We'll write a treatment for the overall plot and npc and then see how we can squeeze that into the editor.
Old 08-20-2013, 01:23 PM   #2079
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

I played Gone Home over the weekend. That game is just about perfect, for what it is: a short and sweet adventure game with a heavy focus on environmental storytelling.

On the one hand, I think the gaming press has been overselling Gone Home. It's such an unassuming, little game that it feels weird that it's being touted as "a must play" or "important". On the other hand, I'm incredibly glad I played it, and I probably wouldn't have if the praise hadn't been so over the top. It takes a lot to catch someone's attention in this industry that is way over saturated with blockbusters.

Then again, maybe that's what makes this game important. It is in no way a blockbuster.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2013, 05:44 PM   #2080
Pedro
128-bit Poster

I must try Gone Home; I've avoided the hype though am obviously aware it exists, so we'll see.

I just finished Bioshock Infinite.

That ending was some bullshit, eh?
Old 08-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #2081
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Just to add a bit to that comment above.

I was very suspicious of this game to start, and only bought it cos it was on sale. I was very surprised that I enjoyed it all the way through. Even the usual shooter ennui didn't set in on the last stages (though the last two were a pain in the ass alright), and I was always happy to fire up the game while finishing it over the course of ten days or so.

I loved the iconography and the take on American Exceptionalism - the US does appear like that to us European types sometimes, and though the shooting wasn't really inspired, it never wore out its welcome - there were just the right small amount of enemies released at the same time, then it was time to move on to a new area.

Pretty cool overall, and I was very impressed. The one sour note was seeing the same female model all through the game - could they not have made a tiny effort in this area given the extravagance shown everywhere else?
Old 09-20-2013, 11:38 AM   #2082
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons (PSN)

Short and bittersweet, this game was ok. There is a review here and I'm half in agreement. It's a pretty simple puzzle game, with some striking visuals and a sometimes annoying control scheme. It was pretty middle of the road but picked up big time at the end. Emotion!
Old 09-21-2013, 07:25 AM   #2083
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

L.A. Noire: DLC cases: These cases were on sale not too long ago ($5 for the package) so I jumped on the deal. This game is great. Glad I got a chance to re-visit the world of L.A Noire. I still suck at reading videogame facial expressions!
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2013, 08:48 AM   #2084
Pedro
128-bit Poster

You might be interested to hear that Cane and Rinse did an LA Noire podcast last week. Dunno what it is like but may be worth a look.
Old 10-12-2013, 06:30 AM   #2085
Pedro
128-bit Poster

The Bureau: XCOM Declassified

It wasn't great. Some of it was good, some bad. It basically followed a similar structure to XCOM:EU, in that you went out on missions and then in between missions you levelled up your team, assigned them new weapons etc. It was pretty cool to be able to walk around the XCOM base and talk to the scientists and engineers, though it was a bit Guantanamo Bay at times. Some of the characters were very well voiced, but I swore that the lead female character was voiced by Apple's Siri. I couldn't believe it was a real person when I looked it up on IMDB after.

The combat was meant to be shooting + abilities in the Mass Effect vein - call up a wheel and tell your team what to do. The main problem is that any difficulty above Very Easy is fucking impossible. I'm not joking. Your guys can take about two bullets at the start, and the game throws you into large arenas with enemies coming from all directions, plus a gunship firing at you from above. All this with waist-high cover meant it was crazy frustrating.

Once I turned down the difficulty to the easiest setting, I had a lot more fun. However, that then takes some of the strategy out of the game (apart from some big set pieces where I can't even imagine how you'd complete them on anything above Easy) as you can breeze through a lot of the missions without having to really think about positioning and abilities.

That said, it was a lot of fun in the end. Definitely one to look out for in the bargain bin. And turn it to Easy, seriously.