About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 04-23-2013, 11:58 AM   #526
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou
Re: What are you playing right now?

I don't know. It kind of feels like this thread is for quitters. I'd really rather use the "post here when you beat a game" thread, except that I never seem to actually finish games. Posting here instead is like admitting defeat

I stalled out at about the halfway point in Bioshock Infinite. I'm sure I'll finish it someday, but it will be after everyone else is done talking about it.

I also stalled out about halfway through the StarCraft 2: Heart of the Swarm single player campaign. It's fun, but I'm not really enjoying how cartoony the story has become. I switched to playing multiplayer, and I'm having a lot more fun there.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 04:51 PM   #527
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanbatou View Post
It kind of feels like this thread is for quitters.

I'm guilty of contributing to that vibe

But, maybe it's my age? I'm 44 now and games to me are becoming much more of a passive medium that I feel less involved with- games don't hold my attention like they used to, and I'm much more selective about what I keep playing. It's rare I get that 'jones' to finish a game unless I'm REALLY enjoying it..

also there's games like Just Cause 2, that I pick up and goof around with for fun.. and have no intention of finishing.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 05:23 PM   #528
JLB1987
Sex machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanbatou View Post
I don't know. It kind of feels like this thread is for quitters. I'd really rather use the "post here when you beat a game" thread, except that I never seem to actually finish games. Posting here instead is like admitting defeat
With all due respect, why don't you just stick to the finished games thread? If this thread didn't exist, and my only outlet for current games-based discussion was the other one, it wouldn't make me any more inclined to complete more games. I just wouldn't be to make cutting edge observations on games I could no longer be bothered with. Then there are games one may be replaying, and as Rob suggests, games that you don't really complete. For example, I'm currently playing COD Zombies with my partner, and that's certainly not one you can "complete".

I'm don't begrudge you for your opinion, I just find it had to understand- especially when you offer yourself a perfectly good solution. This is a great forum, and not actually having to finish I game I don't like to comment on here is a godsend, coming from someone with limited gaming time due to having a family.

A happy medium- rename this the "Games I'm too rubbish to complete" thread? ;-)

Last edited by JLB1987; 04-23-2013 at 05:28 PM.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:52 PM   #529
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

I haven't quit any of the games I recently started. I just have very little free time and a lot of interests. The reason I start so many games is because I am curious.

It is pretty pathetic. Sometimes I stare at the games on my shelf wishing I can put in the time to complete them.

I know pretty early on if I am going to quit a game. Mainly due to lack of interest. Last game I remember being of no interest to me was Darksiders. I was just bored.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 02:10 AM   #530
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB1987 View Post
A happy medium- rename this the "Games I'm too rubbish to complete" thread? ;-)
Neh, I mostly stop playing games because they get boring and I have better stuff to do than sitting through endless cutscenes or shooting myself through yet another corridor ;-)

Also, I play many games that are a bit difficult to "beat". GT5 can be played pretty much forever. Online shooters never reallly end. When do you "beat" FIFA? After all, the football never ends. And I don't think it would make any sense if I write into the other thread every time I finish another run of Dark Souls.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abfackeln View Post
I know pretty early on if I am going to quit a game. Mainly due to lack of interest. Last game I remember being of no interest to me was Darksiders. I was just bored.
I had exactly the same with Darksiders. After 5 Minutes I already got the feeling this is a game I won't finish. After one hour I was sure.

Last edited by Li-Ion; 04-24-2013 at 02:12 AM.
Li-Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:29 AM   #531
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

Sorry. I meant my post as a joke more than anything. I only finish a few games a year myself.

I just wanted to say something self deprecating before admitting to giving up on Bioshock Infinite (at least for awhile). I usually don't feel at all guilty for abandoning games, but this time I kind of do. Bioshock seems to be one of the most important/most talked about releases in a long time.

Last edited by Zanbatou; 04-24-2013 at 03:37 AM.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:08 AM   #532
JLB1987
Sex machine

It's cool- sorry if I misconstrued your intent :-)
Old 04-24-2013, 02:58 PM   #533
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Poor Zanbatou - but at least he got the chat going!

Amazing news: Lord of the Rings: the War in the North is quite good! Well, in co-op it is anyway. Been playing this last two nights with my brother, and have been very pleasantly surprised. Solid ARPG combat, reasonable levels, lots of cheesy overwrought language. It's ideal for co-op. In between levels, they show you your combat stats, which cause a fair amount of hilarity.

I'd imagine it is a terrible game in singleplayer.

Also: A Valley Without Wind is very interesting. Lots of stuff going on - platforming, shooting, crafting and discovering new spells, managing the world by building farms and shelters to support the inhabitants; it's amazing how much stuff they have packed in. There is even a bit of a Dark Souls vibe about it. Check out the demo here.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 05:36 AM   #534
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Another trip to Gamestop (to buy Deadly Premonition), another failed mission.

This time, they had only got two copies in, and both were sold. However, one of them had been sold to the girl behind the desk, and she hated it (she'd be a good woman for JLB1987).

So she said call back on Monday and there would likely be a copy for sale. I might just buy the digital copy.

PS have all these advertising links started suddenly appearing for everyone else, or have I hit some weird setting or something?

[E] Hmm, the links were in the preview but not the eventual post.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:18 AM   #535
JLB1987
Sex machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Another trip to Gamestop (to buy Deadly Premonition), another failed mission.

This time, they had only got two copies in, and both were sold. However, one of them had been sold to the girl behind the desk, and she hated it (she'd be a good woman for JLB1987).

So she said call back on Monday and there would likely be a copy for sale. I might just buy the digital copy.
Ha, great minds and all that. Are you looking for the new PS3 version or the original? This Directors Cut sounds interesting- although, the only way I'd like to see it improved is an almost complete removal of the action segments. Just keep them in there very occasionally, and out of the abstract "dream world" style setting, and there would be a game I would enjoy. I'm fully aware people will accuse me of "missing the point", but it would make the game go from awful to playable for me, at least. I could deal with still having awful vehicle controls in there.

Is there splitscreen in War of the North?
Old 04-27-2013, 08:43 AM   #536
Pedro
128-bit Poster

I'm looking for the PS3 version which was released yesterday. Mostly, I'm curious to see if it still holds up as a good game, or if I just got carried away the first time round.

The Director's Cut sounds like a cash-in, in fairness. The combat is still there (though they have done away with all difficulty modes except Easy), and they have fixed the map so it doesn't spin around with you, and some controls. And made the graphics 'better' somehow.

There is a gun you can get early on with unlimited ammo (same in original) so I'll be going straight for that and breezing through the zombie killing. I wonder if they've left in the horrible, horrible QTEs though?

War in the North does have splitscreen for local co-op, allegedly. Please note that we both got the game for free, so your enjoyment may not be the same if you pay big bucks.

I'm playing the female mage, who starts off a bit underpowered but its soon taking vast chunks of health off enemies with her ranged power. Note that there is a very awkward boss fight at the end of the first level too, but once you are over that, it's all good.
Old 04-27-2013, 08:35 PM   #537
JLB1987
Sex machine

It's a shame. The confrontations with the raincoat dude were awesome. Just not the killing of imaginary demons. They should do away with combat completely, and take more inspiration from the Clock Tower series. Of course, for a low budget game to risk alienating the demographic who just like to shoot stuff, that was never going to happen. Hope you find it and update us on the updates.

Sounds like War in the North would be great for my partner, at least. She loves LotR. And I can always get enjoyment just from finding ways to get her saying "If you do that again, I'm just going to not play". This is an area I find lacking in Kane & Lynch.

Last edited by JLB1987; 04-27-2013 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-29-2013, 05:52 PM   #538
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Played a bit of Thomas Was Alone, which has been well received but I'm finding it incredibly dreary.

A big issue is that the jumping is sticky/suffers from latency.

The other big issue is that you constantly have to rearrange the sequence of the characters you control, and one may be too small to jump over another, so you have to jump the medium sized one back to act as a stepping stone for the small one....again and again. It's driving me nuts.

I'm on level 4 out of 10 but I don't think I'll finish.
Old 05-03-2013, 03:33 PM   #539
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

Tomb Raider-

just an hour or two in, liking it alot so far.

Pros: good job of establishing jeopardy, believable scenario and characters, movement physics and feeling like a part of the main character are conveyed expertly. (compared to say, Uncharted, where I never felt in any danger, or that anything was at stake)

Cons: what's climbable and isn't seems a little arbitrary. Upgrade system is overdone, deliberately tedious-seeming. I hate when action games push a menu of equally pointless upgrades on you to seem more 'RPG-ish'.

minor quibble: you can fire a powered up bow shot that will kill most human enemies with one hit, but still need to put 3 arrows in a deer. My father-in-law explained bow hunting to me awhile back- a clean shot from the side, dead-center through the shoulderblade will puncture the heart and hobble a deer. That is, an arrow through the shoulderblade from the side on a deer = a headshot on a human...

anyway- lol- just grumbling.

It's a very pretty game, and I 'got' right away that the focus was survival, not archaeology. In some ways, it's closer to a survival horror game than an adventure, but a more realistically defined horror.

btw- the story and voice acting are quite good.

Last edited by RandomRob; 05-03-2013 at 04:05 PM.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:01 PM   #540
Pedro
128-bit Poster

People still hunt deer with bows? I'm amazed.

I should be playing Deadly Premonition, but..

26 Apr - DP is released in stores

30 Apr - I "pre-order" on the Playstation store. Game is flagged with "1 May" release date. As order is processed, it tells me it will be available to play on 3 May.

1 May - PSN says the game will be available for download on 3 May, and available to play on 4th May.

3 May - PSN says the game will be available for download on 4 May, and available to play on 7th May.

I'm away for the weekend anyway, but this doesn't bode well. What a shower of useless fuckers.