About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 04-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #511
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Re: What are you playing right now?

Still playing Hotel Dusk in small spats. Not really the best game to play in small segments spread out over lengths of time, but I still want to finish. May take a while.

Also played a little Super Punch Out!! last night. Can still make through the first seven fighters no problem, but that was it. One of my all-time favorite games, though I've never completed the final circuit.
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 05:06 PM   #512
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up Re: What are you playing right now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by abfackeln View Post
Tomb Raider: Another really good reboot. They finally made Tomb raider cool again (Although I liked the spin-off arcade game a lot)

Bioshock Infinite: Love the art direction. Not as blown away by the actual game as other people seem to be. Still feels very much like the first Bioshock game in a different setting.
Im looking forward to picking up TR when it drops some in price. Looks terrific.

So BI, overhyped you think?
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 07:38 PM   #513
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomRob View Post
So BI, overhyped you think?
Not bad, but defiantly overhyped. The main draw to the game is its aesthetics. It is a pretty game in a great location. Both the melee and gun mechanics are not that satisfying.

POSSIBLE SPOILER BUT NOT REALLY

Once your character is discovered to be an enemy of this city the NPCs magically disappear and there is nothing but enemies in the area.

I am only 2 hours in, so I have a ways to go.

Hopefully you'll like Tomb Raider. I can see were critical people can criticize it, but I enjoy it. I like action platforming adventure games a lot.

Last edited by abfackeln; 04-03-2013 at 09:54 PM.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:57 PM   #514
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

played Dishonored for 2 hours, got really depressed. Nothing to care about, nothing at stake. Uninstalled.

played Arkham City for 2 hours, got really bored. nothing to care about, nothing at stake. Uninstalled.

continuing LA Noire. Love it, feel it's one of the most enjoyable adult games ever.

Rayman origins - love it, beautiful, fun.

Space Marine - enjoyable to replay - a hack and slash game with some strategy

Waking Mars - lovingly designed, biology based side scroll puzzler. Nice design, awful voice acting from the AI character- voices off!

Just Cause 2 - just cuz
Old 04-14-2013, 06:40 PM   #515
RandomRob

This game is REALLY GOOD
Old 04-15-2013, 04:43 AM   #516
JLB1987
Sex machine

Arkham City on new game +. What a treat. Spending more time on collecting Riddler trophies and stuff, but this time, I'm realising how much I don't really enjoy that Catwoman sections. Stalking armed guards is fun with her, as these sections control completely differently from Bats, but there aren't enough of them. I remembered yesterday that there is a "moral choice" in the last of her sections, though. I look forward to seeing how choosing the other option plays out, but I suspect it doesn't make any difference, at it was possible to not play her sections on the game's initial release by simply not downloading them.

Last edited by JLB1987; 04-15-2013 at 04:59 AM.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 12:25 PM   #517
Pedro
64-bit Poster

My OOTPB14 preorder arrived on Friday and I have been playing nothing else since.

Won the World Series with the Padres in 2014 after some phenomenal luck.

I am going to lower ticket prices. Baseball for everyone!
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 01:10 PM   #518
RandomRob

Red face Re: What are you playing right now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB1987 View Post
Arkham City on new game +. What a treat.
Question- did you like Arkham Asylum? I loved Arkham Asylum but City just doesn't click with me at all. Wondering if anyone else had a similar reaction? Or should I take more time with it?
Old 04-21-2013, 05:54 AM   #519
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I hadn't been looking forward to Bioshock Infinite in any way, and am still mostly on the fence about it, but based on the largely positive feedback, and that there seems to be some stuff worth discussing in it, I decided to take the plunge.

Trekked up to my local Gamestop yesterday and saw that it was a 'premium' game which costs 10% more than normal, so was 55 euros (72 bucks).

Took it up to the counter and was told that unfortunately they were out of stock, but I could buy a used copy. How much? A fiver less, or 50 euros.

I have nothing against used games, and I would like to see retail game shops survive, but still, I'd rather my 50 quid went to the developer here. I also wouldn't put it past the retailer to hold back new copies and try and sell the used, though it's hard to believe they were outright lying here. Still, the suspicion was there.

Didn't buy it. Back to Out of the Park Baseball for me!

Edit: Since taking over in 2013 I have turned the Padres into a perennial contender, while lowering ticket prices. One WS and two other playoff appearances in that time

Last edited by Pedro; 04-21-2013 at 06:00 AM.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:49 AM   #520
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Still playing Bioshock: Infinite. Quite a lot of fun, but even though my shoulder is getting noticeably better (I started rock climbing again, yay!) I find myself playing much less video games than before.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:50 PM   #521
Pedro
64-bit Poster

So none of us are playing any games? We're all fed up?

Good job Abfackeln is buying enough for us all

I played a little A Valley Without Wind last night, as it was on sale for cheaps over the weekend. It's actually quite intriguing - I don't know if that effect will last longer than it takes to figure out the game's systems though, which are complex enough looking to hold my interest. But interesting stuff.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:06 PM   #522
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
To a certain extend I am. I took a critical look at all that I played the last years and there are only few games that really wowed me (Demon's & Dark Souls, Spec Ops: the Line, Mount & Blade: Warband, Vanquish, GT5 and, potentially, Bioshock Infinite). Everything else is a bit of a blur. And since Spec Ops I simply can't get back playing a regular modern military shooter anymore. Given the choice I actually prefer playing a boardgame over a video game these days (except for Dark Souls, obviously, which wins by default). I have a huge backlog and no motivation to play any of it. Currently I play about 2 hours a week, which means if I start anything that would take roughly 60 hours to complete that would take me more than half a year.

Quote:
Our lone beacon of hope
Old 04-22-2013, 04:07 PM   #523
RandomRob

Quote:
I think US game publishers have the same problem the Government has... an unregulated gun fetish that seems to trump everything else... I have no interest in the current crop of gun and murder games..

Ive been playing LA Noire quite happily, though. One case at a time.

Last edited by RandomRob; 04-22-2013 at 05:50 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:54 PM   #524
JLB1987
Sex machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomRob View Post
Question- did you like Arkham Asylum? I loved Arkham Asylum but City just doesn't click with me at all. Wondering if anyone else had a similar reaction? Or should I take more time with it?
I loved Asylum, and it did a great job of showing Batman's "World's greatest detective" side, more so than City. I loved it's slow, methodical pace. But I do prefer the variety, excitement and great all-round feeling of being Batman.

It definitely took some getting used to, after having played Asylum just days before originally starting City. I didn't know where to go, and I ignored most of the side missions. It definitely took longer to gain my approval, but I love it more now. Doubly so since playing new game + lets me have the "Year One" Batman Skin (clearly the best costume).

Still playing it. The amount of content in the GOTY is insane. I often spend evenings not touching the campaign, and just play through the challenge maps.

Don't Shit Your Pants on Newgrounds. Relatively amusing web game which challenges the player to not let their avatar shit himself. It's an old school text adventure style game, except it's forty seconds long and the game ends with either the little man making it to the toilet and defecating in it, or soiling himself. Or dying. Has anyone written a review for this yet?
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 07:53 AM   #525
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Quote:
I thought I'd contribute a little more and picked up Pandora's Tower and Soul Hackers. What can I say? I am an overachiever

Sad thing is I haven't been able to play more than 5 hours of any of these games. A new one comes out before I can get anywhere in the last one. I am making good money now, so I am taking advantage of it while I can. I'll eventually get around to playing these games. Most of these games I bought on sale or with credit.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote