About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 02-08-2013, 05:59 PM   #2041
ZippyDSMlee
16-bit Poster

Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

It sucks and the story is half assed...DOSE NOT COMPUTE!!!!!!!
ZippyDSMlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2013, 03:53 PM   #2042
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Platinumed Demon's Souls at last, two years after finishing the first playthrough.

It took 3.5 playthroughs in total, and a lot of hours were spent grinding for Pure Bladestone. It feels ok to get the game done though, I can finally move on to something else.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 03:25 AM   #2043
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

@Pedro: congratulations are in order I suppose. Are you now 'done' with Demon's Souls and will never touch it again? ;-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZippyDSMlee View Post
It sucks and the story is half assed...[...]
No it's not and no it doesn't. It's a brilliant deconstruction of the modern military shooter.
Old 02-18-2013, 12:22 PM   #2044
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
@Pedro: congratulations are in order I suppose. Are you now 'done' with Demon's Souls and will never touch it again? ;-)
Thanks, I suppose

It is interesting - I took the game out last night and put it back on the shelf, thinking, will I trade this or what?

The other thought was, I could download the US version from PSN and do the Platinum on that...

Only joking, I'm not sure if I will ever revisit Demon's.

However my final thought was, if I get a PS4 and get rid of the PS3, what game would I play for old time's sake, before I sold it. Demon's is probably up there for that honour, and so is Dark, but I'm too close to them at the moment - I've had my fill for now.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:14 AM   #2045
JLB1987
Sex machine

Quote:
It sucks and the story is half assed...DOSE NOT COMPUTE!!!!!!!
What video games do you consider to have good a good storyline? I'm not having a dig, you're entitled to an opinion (in fact, whilst I thoroughly enjoyed The Line's narrative, part of me feels that it's only brilliant "for a videogame"). I'm genuinely interested.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 11:58 AM   #2046
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Finished Borderlands 2 in co-op on Friday night, thank goodness.

It's a good game - a vast improvement on the first - and the writing was very funny at times. There were still quite a few fights where you felt like you were taking on the enemies with a peashooter, but all in all it was pretty good.

The final boss was marginally better than the final boss in B1. Also not helped where the final battle glitched out and the Phase I boss became indestructible until we quit and reloaded.

No real inclination to play another one of these though.
Old 03-04-2013, 08:50 PM   #2047
Kin Korn Karn

Finished Ni No Kuni this past weekend. I had fun with it. It holds your hand way too much and the battle system could use some work. I seriously over-levelled (as I typically will do in these types of RPG's), so I pretty much walked through the last gew hours.

I also "beat" Journey. I really can't say anything about the game that hasn't already been said. I think the experience means something different to each player. Trying to describe what it meant to me would be hard to do. Maybe I could do it justice over a few beers.
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 10:21 PM   #2048
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
What a fantastic game. Have never played the second in the Prime series but I'm tempted to hunt down a copy now that I've finished the third.
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:32 PM   #2049
Kin Korn Karn

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogofdeath View Post
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption
What a fantastic game. Have never played the second in the Prime series but I'm tempted to hunt down a copy now that I've finished the third.
That's great! Solid series. IIRC I enjoyed the second more than the third. I'd like to play through them again someday.
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:49 PM   #2050
ZippyDSMlee
16-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Korn Karn View Post
That's great! Solid series. IIRC I enjoyed the second more than the third. I'd like to play through them again someday.
I've got the trilogy on the WII ^^ Not got to it yet and not palyed 3 yet tho >> Right now I am in dungoen lord mode, finishing up Dungeons,going to imprie next might fire up Overlord just cause it was a solid game. Also have my sights on war for the over world.
Old 03-06-2013, 10:32 AM   #2051
ZippyDSMlee
16-bit Poster

Just finished Dungeons GOTYE, its a cheap Dungeon lord RTS/action title.

ALl in all its not that bad, balancing is not so bad, skill set which is a cross between making units stronger, cheaper stuff to build and gaining new skills and leveling those skills up.

The down side is this game is trap focused, you can not move monsters and their spawn points called pentagrams expand where you can build things even pentagrams, I do hate the fact they tied area of influence and pentagrams together, it seems needlessly complicated since you can not move monsters around..

Anyway the game focuses on 4 things Gold to buy pentagrams,non deco gimmicks(traps,jails,treasure chests, hero armory and Magic library, ect), Prestige which you build up by making rooms and filling them with gimmicks which are dark magic/demon based decorations. This is the games selling point and this is why I liked the game without it its jsut another POS title from kalypso LOL

But heres the thing you need soul energy to make these decorations, raise your monster level,summon dungeon heart guardian and raise goblin worker cap. So you have to build your dungeon as so it fills hero needs to raise their soul energy level so you can farm them for soul energy points. Oh and you get less soul energy if monsters knock them out and none if a trap kills them.

So sometimes you have to tract them down and kill them(monster and you killing a hero result in them being taken to your jail). Heros spawn from Hero gates which are mostly open some are closed that you can open. Champions are nasty they are high powered hero's with no soul energy and only intrested in your dungeon heart, monsters in their visconisty, you and releasing prisoners.

As I said befor this is a trap focused game you make your gimmick rooms just clsoe enough to monster spawn points so monsters can take im out and goblins take them to jail.

Another thing I didn't care for besides the pentagrams being monster spawn points AND area of influence exspanders is half the time they make half the dungeon for you which can mess up the flow of your dungeon build (like treasure and Hero armory/Library rooms right next to your dungeon heart) thankfully you can tear stuff down.

Story is at times funny but mostly a stupid mess, I give it a 6 out of 5 just for the building non prefab rooms gimmick. LOL

Side note
Imprie is a mess the prefab rooms limited unit controls and crashes alot ;_;
Old 03-06-2013, 09:28 PM   #2052
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Quote:
I've got the trilogy on the WII ^^ Not got to it yet and not palyed 3 yet tho
Little jealous. Wish I could find a reasonably priced Trilogy edition. I absolutely love the Wii controls for Corruption and would like to be able to use the same controls for the first two.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Korn Karn View Post
I would love to play all three in order, including my first experience with Echoes. However, not sure I have the time. Plus, not sure I am willing to go back to a Cube controller!

All that aside, I may be in the minority, but Metroid is far superior in the third dimension. Never could get into the 2D versions all that much, but the first-person games are just some all around solid titles.
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 09:06 AM   #2053
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Credits for Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance are rolling in the background. Had a blast with this one. I always found the Metal Gear series intriguing, but the actual games long-winded and with un-intuitive controls. Revengeance remedies all that being fast paced with great controls once I understood what the hell was going on and was generally awesome to play.
Old 03-18-2013, 04:54 PM   #2054
JLB1987
Sex machine

Army of Two

Tedious (and borderline awful) level design, unremarkable gunplay that doesn't feel as weighty as it should, irritating vehicle sections, no real set pieces... Yet we still had a blast in split-screen. There are a few really small things that generally made AoT a joy to play, such as being able to feign death and punch your partner in the balls. Constantly buying weapons and wasting money earned from missions on "blinging" them up with gold plateing and diamonds, and watching my girlfriend get increasingly frustrated at said waste of money, was worth the 5.20 I payed for this alone.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 09:57 AM   #2055
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

(I actually finished a game-)

XCom Enemy Unknown-

the most fun and involving turn based strategy game I've played in- I don't know- maybe ever. I was really stoked to see my best recruit save the world at the end. In general I felt pretty attached to my squad of regulars.

I hope XCom gains popularity with younger gamers, and reinvigorates interest in the basic elements of game design.

Complaints? I wouldn't have minded a few more maps. And I think a doublesized squad of 6 active and 6 backup agents in a doublesized map would have been a little more appropriate for the final showdown.

Things I learned/used to my advantage that weren't specified by the rules? Putting an agent in plain sight to draw enemy fire away from a wounded squad member.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote