About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > PC Games & Hardware Help

Notices

Old 01-14-2013, 11:19 AM   #1
ZippyDSMlee
16-bit Poster

Anyone mess with blender?

I am finally getting somewhere.

From this

http://zippydsmlee.deviantart.com/ar...ppydsmlee&qo=3

to this

http://zippydsmlee.deviantart.com/ar...ppydsmlee&qo=0

Still getting out the lose verities and such, working on the dangling spine right now after I get the holes and lose stuff patched I will be moving on to skinning.

I am always looking for tips and people I can annoy when I can't find the info I am looking for.

Oh and the fun of it is this will be the next weapon I will be working on.

NSFW
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v6...ppylabsDBZ.jpg
NSFW
ZippyDSMlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:32 PM   #2
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Re: Anyone mess with blender?

I haven't used Blender but I've done some mod work - left the items and textures to the skilled people!

Nice job by the way - how many polys? I expect that's not an issue in Fallout - if I had troops kitted out with these in Mount & Blade I expect the frame rate would hit 2fps

I may not actually know what I am talking about here btw. As I say, I leave the modelling work to the talented folks!
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 12:59 PM   #3
ZippyDSMlee
16-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
I haven't used Blender but I've done some mod work - left the items and textures to the skilled people!

Nice job by the way - how many polys? I expect that's not an issue in Fallout - if I had troops kitted out with these in Mount & Blade I expect the frame rate would hit 2fps

I may not actually know what I am talking about here btw. As I say, I leave the modelling work to the talented folks!
Polys? was that? LOL

I only have way get you have a certain max befor you start messing up the frame rate.

I know I am a hax and will always be a hax. But as I improve on sketching and Photoshopping I have built up enough confidence to try blender again. I just really want to half ass actualize the stuff in my head.
Old 01-21-2013, 12:13 PM   #4
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I'm trying to get my 14 year old nephew interested in computers/modding/any kind of technical interest.

I thought of starting him with modding (he's interested in games but not much else) - but it is very complex. Is there any way in, or would you recommend starting anywhere in particular?
Old 01-21-2013, 12:30 PM   #5
ZippyDSMlee
16-bit Poster

Quote:
I'm trying to get my 14 year old nephew interested in computers/modding/any kind of technical interest.

I thought of starting him with modding (he's interested in games but not much else) - but it is very complex. Is there any way in, or would you recommend starting anywhere in particular?
Easy not really. They do not make moddable games much anymore. Unreal Tournament 04(as in the year) and Unreal Tournament 3.

This is where I got my feet wet, its rather easy to change what weapons use what ammo, and what projectiles. It can help to understand Object originated programming.

Java is much like Unreal script used in the Unreal engines.

Then there is this
http://www.worldofleveldesign.com/ca...es/cat_udk.php

But I found it difficult and boring as I could not see the changes by starting up the game. UDK comes with no game you have to build from ground up.

Outside of programing there is skinning, rigging and modeling. I can not do rigging as of yet, I can only do a bit of modeling have yet to get it in game since I have to skin and rig it.

Skining I can do, I been using Adobe Photoshop, the main thing to know when dealing with picture editors is layers it took me years to really grasp that.

GIMP is a free alternative .

There are also tutorial sights that can guide you through using UDK.

http://eat3d.com/udk

You also can just hunt and peck around for free tuts.

Java and C++ are the most popular programing languages. You might look into that. I have a hard time reading so books did me little good but Amazon is a good source for books and such their rating system makes its easy to find what should work.

Sorry if this is disjointed I am thinking while I type LOL
Old 01-21-2013, 01:02 PM   #6
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Zippy, thanks so much for the thoughtful post! It's good stuff, thanks.

I've done a bit of modding myself from a code standpoint, and it's tough to get into it that way (even when you're a programmer as a job). I think modelling and suchlike is the way to go, as I'm trying to spark an interest and don't want to start out too heavy. However even that probably won't do it if you don't already have an interest.

I had thought of Minecraft modding, but I hate Minecraft myself and it will pain me to look into it. I was thinking of starting off spawning various mobs etc. It will take some doing though.

Thanks for the help - plenty of good reading there!
Old 01-21-2013, 01:17 PM   #7
ZippyDSMlee
16-bit Poster

Quote:
Zippy, thanks so much for the thoughtful post! It's good stuff, thanks.

I've done a bit of modding myself from a code standpoint, and it's tough to get into it that way (even when you're a programmer as a job). I think modelling and suchlike is the way to go, as I'm trying to spark an interest and don't want to start out too heavy. However even that probably won't do it if you don't already have an interest.

I had thought of Minecraft modding, but I hate Minecraft myself and it will pain me to look into it. I was thinking of starting off spawning various mobs etc. It will take some doing though.

Thanks for the help - plenty of good reading there!
Mine craft might do I just didn't get into it due to being swamped with games to play.

Ah I think it is java based.

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...Untitled-3.jpg

Fallout 3 has a basic editor their is no real coding involved just toggling tabs ,models and rigging.

If you guys get anywhere with coding let me know maybe I can get some help to get something to run LOL

Modeling can be a pain in the ass but there are tuts to make basic shapes and stuff from 2D pictures.

Be careful with Unreal games, he might get caught up in messing around with values rather than learning code...I know I did :P

LOL
Old 01-22-2013, 08:33 AM   #8
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Quote:
I think modelling and suchlike is the way to go, as I'm trying to spark an interest and don't want to start out too heavy.
I tried a few programs in the past two decades, on a very basic level, just some tutorials.
To compare its functionality with CAD.

So, if it should be a simple program, i'd recommend Wings3D.
Probably not as powerful as the big names, but the GUI don't overwhelms and to get some decent results pretty quick its fine.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 12:50 PM   #9
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I'll suss him out and see what he's into. The other drawback of this is that we are 5000 miles apart...