About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 12-27-2012, 11:52 AM   #1
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Now that we have avoided the apocalypse for another year, we can look forward to the year ahead. What are your gaming plans? Are you looking forward to anything in particular next year?

For me, the first part of the year will be spent catching up on the Game of the Year lists and playing games that I have overlooked. I got Mark of the Ninja in the Steam Sale and though I'm not into Stealth, I look forward to giving it a go. I may also have to check out FTL.

I went a bit mad in the sales - I picked up Shogun 2, S2: Fall of the Samurai, Empire: Total War and Crusader Kings II, so I may not need to buy another game in 2013.

No idea what the big releases are this year.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
JLB1987
Sex machine

Re: 2013

Not thought about it myself, but GTA V is an obvious one. It's a shame I probably won't get to play it until 2014, what with my refusal to buy games that insist on utilising DLC until "complete" editions come along.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:22 PM   #3
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Ah, I forgot about GTA. I hope they freshen up the formula a little after IV and RDR.

My intention is to buy no DLC this year, but a game like GTA will be big enough without it. I didn't finish either of the Liberty City stories.

Release dates for the start of the year. Nothing really jumps out at me.

January

Anarchy Reigns -- January 8
DmC: Devil May Cry -- January 15
Sniper: Ghost Warrior 2 -- January 15
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch-- January 22

February

Fire Emblem: Awakening -- February 4
Dead Space 3 -- February 5
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time -- February 5
Brain Age: Concentration Training -- February 10
Aliens: Colonial Marines -- February 12
Crysis 3 -- February 19
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance -- February 19
Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan -- February 26
Rayman Legends -- February 26

March

South Park: The Stick of Truth -- March 5 (DELAYED)
MLB 13 The Show -- March 5
Tomb Raider -- March 5
SimCity -- March 5
Castlevania Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate -- March 5
God of War: Ascension -- March 12
StarCraft II: Heart of the Swarm -- March 12
Gears of War: Judgment -- March 19
Army of Two: The Devil's Cartel -- March 26
BioShock Infinite -- March 26

April

Dead Island Riptide -- April 23

May

The Last of Us -- May 7
Old 01-03-2013, 07:05 PM   #4
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I actually didn't know that Deadly Premonition was coming out this year for PS3. Let's see if it actually holds up as a decent game, eh?

Was thinking about it the other day. It really tackled some complex concepts; why don't we get more mature games like it?
Old 01-04-2013, 06:23 AM   #5
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

2013 is going to be a good year for gaming.

January

DmC: Devil May Cry -- January 15
Ni no Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch-- January 22

February

Fire Emblem: Awakening -- February 4
Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time -- February 5
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance -- February 19
Etrian Odyssey IV: Legends of the Titan -- February 26
Rayman Legends -- February 26

March

Tomb Raider -- March 5
Castlevania Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate -- March 5
BioShock Infinite -- March 26

April

Deadly Premonition: The Director's Cut -- April 30

May

Pikmin 3 - May 1 (lets see if it makes this date)
The Last of Us -- May 7

GTA 5 should come out in late spring. That is typically when Rockstar releases their big games.

Last edited by abfackeln; 01-05-2013 at 11:02 PM.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:32 AM   #6
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
I actually didn't know that Deadly Premonition was coming out this year for PS3. Let's see if it actually holds up as a decent game, eh?
DP was one of those game that had so many things wrong with it, but it is still outstanding. 99% better than most games on the market.

Games still have a lot of uncharted paths to go down in terms of storytelling.

I am will to repurchase DP on the PS3 to get new features. EDIT: Amazon has DP on the PS3 down as a April 30 release.

Last edited by abfackeln; 01-05-2013 at 11:01 PM.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 08:21 AM   #7
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Thanks to PS+ and Steam sales my backlog will most likely get longer, but i will try to oppress my desire to explore a game thoroughly, spent less time trying to complete achievements/trophies if it feels more like work than a fulfilling challenge.

Last of Us, Beyond, Rain, Crysis3, Project Cars, Remember Me, Metro Last Light and Soul Sacrifice are games i'm looking forward to.
Fez hopefully gets a PC Port and i probably will get Mark of the Ninja, Deadlight, Catherine and Azuras Wrath.
Not sure about Spec Ops, Journey or Walking Dead. Certainly will ignore XCom, FTL and Far Cry3.

But most of all i think it will be the year for new next gen.
MS has given up maybe before their Kinect-launch to add interesting new games to the market so they have to have an impressive launch line up ready. Or again rely on indie games and shooter sequels...
Sony is working hard on pleasing people with PS+ and although i don't think they really need to launch their next console this year, i doubt they want to be again a year behind and loose (in America) because "all my friends p(l)ay on live".
Finally the Steambox might surprise all the current players.
I am pretty sure they can do everything MS can in terms of service and predictable will not charge fees for allowing twitter or netflix or multiplayer.

Last edited by crackajack; 01-10-2013 at 05:08 AM. Reason: mixed game name with its websites name^^
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 09:04 AM   #8
JLB1987
Sex machine

I'm currently selling my Xbox version of Deadly Premonition, 'cos I know I won't attempt to play it ever again. Sounds like I'm doing it at just the right time.

The new South Park game, I forgot about. I've seen a trailer for it and it looks superb.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:38 PM   #9
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Wait a minute, Dark Souls 2 is coming out this year? How is that even possible. I know they turned around DS1 quickly after Demon's, but still...

Quote:
Originally Posted by abfackeln View Post
DP was one of those game that had so many things wrong with it, but it is still outstanding. 99% better than most games on the market.

Games still have a lot of uncharted paths to go down in terms of storytelling.

I am will to repurchase DP on the PS3 to get new features. Should be out in March.
I am recommending your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB1987 View Post
I'm currently selling my Xbox version of Deadly Premonition, 'cos I know I won't attempt to play it ever again. Sounds like I'm doing it at just the right time.
Where is the de-recommend button?

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackajack View Post
Certainly will ignore XCom, FTL and Far Cry3.
You should play the first, and ignore the last, definitely.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:31 AM   #10
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I'll probably play fewer games in 2013. Not so much because there would be no good games coming or because 'videogamez are teh evil!!!111', but simply because I noticed that I spent not much time on my other hobbies in 2012. It's been almost a year since I last picked up my guitar for example.

Backlog of 2012, games I'd like to start or play more/finish:
Mark of the Ninja
Lone Survivor
Endless Space
Hawken

Games of 2012 I was planning on playing at some point 2013:
Far Cry 3 (and if it's just to see what all the fuzz is about)
Fez
Crusader Kings 2

Games of 2012 I'm most interested in at the moment:
Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance
Bioshock: Infinite
Tomb Raider

@Pedro: where did you read Dark Souls 2 would come out 2013?
Old 01-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #11
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
I'll probably play fewer games in 2013.
Quote:
Hah!

No, I know what you mean. I have become quite listless and lazy with the rest of my life this past year, while playing loads of games. I need to cut back, I think...

Quote:
Here and here. No date given, but they seem to expect it in 2013. I guess Demon's was released in Feb 09 in Japan, so they had from then till, what, Oct 2011 to decide to make, and then make Dark. Still under two years.

I would have thought with the DLC this time around, there's no way they could get a game out - but based on the previous schedule (short of 2 years, and a sequel possibly wasn't planned till they saw the Western success - so maybe a lot less than 2 years) it is feasible.

An industrious bunch of people at From, clearly.
Old 01-08-2013, 06:31 AM   #12
crackajack
32-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
You should play the first..
Will possibly do. But the not yet released XCom.
I hope this has not been canceled. The concept did sound interesting and i liked the 60s style.

Also Prey 2 hopefully resurfaces this year.

Maybe as launch titles for the new consoles? XCom got much imo undeserved hate from a lot wannabe XCom experts, but Prey had a fair amount of hype going after the trailer was shown.

Those and Star Trek are games that are also on my radar this year.

Star Wars 1313 is also coming this year, isn't it? Being better than Force Unleashed shouldn't be hard, but SW would deserve at least every decade a really good game. Please!

@Dark Souls2
I wouldn't wonder if they would release it regularly. Every 2 years is not too close i guess. They have to earn some dinero once in a while when doing shit like Steel Battalion too.
Where are the mass effect lunatics when it comes to suing game developers for releasing real garbage? Although the fault rather lies in MS crippling Kinect to the toy it is instead of making it a little more expensive and much more what the tech actually could do.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2013, 04:59 PM   #13
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I also would like to see that Xcom action game released. I thought it looked great.

Some interesting offers on PS+ this month - Mortal Kombat (dunno what version), Bioshock 2 and Guardians of Middle Earth. I can recommend B2 to anyone.

You can also buy an avatar that says:

I
PWN
NOOBS

I am almost tempted, for the laugh.
Old 01-10-2013, 03:26 AM   #14
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

My internet doesn't work at home atm and for some reason steam doesn't want to start in offline mode, which means I don't have access to my steam library. That makes it comparatively easy to go on with my attempt to play less games this year

3 of the games of 2012 I wanted to finish are on my steam-library, the fourth is an online-only mech-fps, hence my choice is oddly limited. Good news: I played my guitar yesterday, first time in over a year and it shows (or listens?).

But I had another good look at what might be coming out, and we might just see Mount & Blade 2 coming along, as well as tweedpunk-survival-horror title Sir, you are being hunted.

Ok, what about hardware? Anyone already counting the days when the next XBox and/or Playstations will finally be announced? Or are you excited about the suddenly arriving steam-boxes?
Old 01-11-2013, 11:44 AM   #15
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Mount & Blade 2 is out? I'll definitely try that, though Warband was pretty buggy on release. It will be interesting to see what they do with it after Chivalry and that other sword-fighting game this year (I haven't played either).

I'm not an early adopter of hardware so I probably won't bother with the PS4 for a while. If the used game limitations are true, then I may not bother at all (though I don't really play used games). I can't say I am excited about them - we are seeing the same shit games year after year, so no hardware is going to alleviate the curse of playing games designed for 15 year olds, I'm afraid.*

The Steambox is really fascinating to me, though I can't see it being useful to me in any way. It just seems to be a console for the PC crowd, which is ironic. I mean, the PC people know Steam exists, but does anyone else? What would make someone who was not already a PC gaming enthusiast adopt this? And what would make a PC gamer adopt it? I imagine you'd need a little dinner tray type object to put your mouse and keyboard on to play strategy games and MMOs.

*what I mean by that is that there are few AAA games that do anything interesting with the medium, and producing a game with a decent story or, often, gameplay, is already beyond a lot of them. New hardware isn't going to do anything for that failure of imagination.

Last edited by Pedro; 01-11-2013 at 11:48 AM.