About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 11-16-2012, 09:56 PM   #1
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Game of the Year - preliminary discussion

I visited my brother in Half Moon Bay last night, and on the way out there I noticed places that were selling Christmas trees already (apparently some people like to put up their trees immediately after Thanksgiving here - god knows what they look like by Xmas day).

With that in mind, I don't feel too bad opening up the GOTY discussion 6 weeks early. However let's not talk about GOTY, let's start kicking a few ideas around instead.

To start with, I want to hear about the games which could be in eventual contention in the world at large but won't be on your list. Why not?

I'll start things off with:

Spec Ops: the Line
Li-ion has made a persuasive case for this game being something special before. However, I didn't feel it at the time I was playing through, and the game itself was sabotaged by ordinary gameplay. So it is off my list.

Borderlands 2
While it's a pretty good game, and an all round improvement on 1, it doesn't elevate itself above any other recent shooter (for which Far Cry 2 is obviously the benchmark ) and in fairness, probably is round about the Rage level of FPS. Good sense of humour, great mechanics, ordinary enough game. Doesn't make the list!

What do you folks think? There will be more categories later so let's not jump the gun here
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 07:08 AM   #2
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Re: Game of the Year - preliminary discussion

not my GOTY will be:

Dishonored
I was already writing quite a bit about my struggles in liking this game. To me it seems surprisingly bland, giving the post-victorian whalepunk-setting and all the hype it got because of it. The level architects did a tremendous job in creating an interesting looking place. Unfortunately, it stops right there. The characters are all shallow stock-characters and the revenge-plot is bare bones. From a gameplay standpoint it's nice and all but also oddly limiting for a game buildt around freedom. Why can't I use a power in one hand and a crossbow in the other, rather than switching oddly back and forth? Why can't I simply refuse to be fooled by the obvious 'trap' and 'plot twist', but have to trigger this stupid cutscene?

The Walking Dead
Apart from the jarring technical issues I had with this game (corrupted savegames included), I'm not sure if I can call it a game to begin with. It's a refined version of the godawful mid-90ies "interactive movies", which force-feed exposition on every turn and not having much "game" in them. It is well made, but when I had to restart episode 1 because of my corrupted save I found it to be too shallow to warrant a second viewing.

Mass Effect 3
Well, that is an odd one. This guns and conversation game was a nice conclusion of the trilogy and I even liked the original endings. In fact, I haven't bothered watching the 'extended cut', since I'm fine with how it ended in the first place. But there were also many things just a bit wrong with it. It was streamlined just a notch too far. The loss off all the minigames might not bother some, but for me they were just a nice change of pace in the earlier games (am I the only one who liked hacking in ME2?). After playing Spec Ops: the Line I also realized how limiting the 'decisions' in ME3 were after all. Not my game of the year for sure.
Old 11-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #3
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

I'd also be interested in knowing what people think the various GOTY contenders are. There's still enough time to play one or two more before we have to make a decision.

So far my GOTY contenders are:

Mass Effect 3
Tribes Ascend
X-Com: Enemy Unknown
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #4
RandomRob

Rep Power: 9 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

Only new game I played this year was FTL
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:33 PM   #5
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Some GOTY contenders for me are:

XCom Enemy Unknown (no surprise there)
Spec Ops: the Line (yes, I'm serious)
FTL (if not for the ending this gem would be flawless)
Hotline Miami (tough as nails)
Dragon's Dogma (albeit having so many flaws...)

My order for Hitman Absolution just shipped, looking forward to this as well. If it's GOTY material I will figure out shortly.

There would also be Project Zomboid, but it's still in alpha and I wonder if that can qualify as GOTY 2012. Same goes to Hawken. Oh, and the Prepare to Die Edition of Dark Souls is always in the back of my mind

More games that are not running for my GOTY:
Binary Domain
The setting and story were intriguing, but I found there was just too much filler in form of waves of robot enemies in long corridors.

Endless Space
Looked like a new generation Master of Orion 2 with a really slick user interface. The user interface is indeed astounding, I always had the feeling I see everything I need to know or do within just one or two clicks. Unfortunately it was too simplified in some respects (battles) and too unneccesarily comples in others (tech tree is mental) that it never quite reached it's full potential. Still a good game though.

Warlock
This was one of many disappointments this year. I hoped for a slightly dumbed down Master of Magic. What I got was cotton candy. Sweet and colorful at first, but without substance. This strategy game has about as much stategy involved as Call of Duty.

Diablo 3
Even more cotton candy! Another big disappointment, but why did I expect anything of that in the first place? It's not really PvP or PvE, it's mostly PvAH. The auction house (and I'm not even talking about the real money one) completely took away my motivation to keep playing. Nothing I would find in the game would be better than what I'd find in the AH for only little gold. So I just farmed gold until I thought: "wait a minute... what the hell am I doing here?" and quit.

Last edited by Li-Ion; 11-19-2012 at 05:47 PM.
Li-Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 02:33 PM   #6
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
not my GOTY will be:

Mass Effect 3
Definitely, this was on my original list of three but I was writing on my phone and forgot to include it. I enjoyed it, and I love the technical achievement of making it work over three games. However once the furore over the ending blew over, I rarely thought about it again. And I haven't looked up the new ending on YouTube either. I love that they did the series, but this game was the weakest of the three I thought.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomRob View Post
Only new game I played this year was FTL
Winner by default? Feel free to nominate your own categories in here too - my next one was going to be Best Games you haven't Played, and it includes FTL, Endless Space and Crusader Kings (this was 75% off last weekend and my finger hovered over the Buy button several times.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanbatou View Post
I'd also be interested in knowing what people think the various GOTY contenders are.
I'm wondering too - I feel I need to play some more before year-end. Contenders could be XCOM, Dishonored, maybe Walking Dead (it is cheap on Steam for the whole series right now I believe, if you have a PC), I am Alive, Tokyo Jungle, Papo & Yo.

The last three all are cheap and have the benefit of being short so you have a chance to complete them, but two of them may be on PS3 only.

Other very good games that aren't in my game of the year list: Binary Domain, Dragon's Dogma.

Games I Haven't Got Past Level 1 on:
Tokyo Jungle, SpaceChem.
Old 11-21-2012, 02:35 PM   #7
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Also Journey and Dear Esther. Joint holders of Most Disappointing Game for me.
Old 11-21-2012, 04:31 PM   #8
RandomRob

Rep Power: 9 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

don't forget Anna, that one's a half a turd.
Old 11-23-2012, 01:22 PM   #9
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Was Anna really bad? I see it is on sale on Steam today but I had never heard of it until you mentioned it.

Looking at that list of games above, it hasn't been a vintage year, has it? There is no real stand-out and not many of those games are 'great' rather than good.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:13 PM   #10
RandomRob

Anna is to me another half finished tech demo being presented as if it was art. Not a fan of this trend.
Old 11-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #11
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I don't think Hitman Absolution will be my game of the year either. But I still have another shot: Into the Dark! A game like a direct to dvd-zombie-movie.
Old 11-24-2012, 09:17 AM   #12
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomRob View Post
Anna is to me another half finished tech demo being presented as if it was art. Not a fan of this trend.
No, but I do like that they try. I don't buy many of these games (or even read about them) any more though.

To the Moon is on sale on Steam - get it and tell me about it!

Add Thirty Flights of Loving to the Disappointment of the Year, by the way. I really liked Gravity Bone, it made me laugh. Maybe I was a different gamer then though (see comment about arty games).
Old 11-25-2012, 04:53 PM   #13
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
Endless Space
Looked like a new generation Master of Orion 2 with a really slick user interface. The user interface is indeed astounding, I always had the feeling I see everything I need to know or do within just one or two clicks. Unfortunately it was too simplified in some respects (battles) and too unneccesarily comples in others (tech tree is mental) that it never quite reached it's full potential. Still a good game though.
This is rapidly climbing into contention for me - I've been playing it all weekend. Not that I have finished a game or anything, I have been restarting at various points when I learn something new.

The interface is great - it's very clean and simple in the information it presents, but you can click on virtually every piece of information on screen and you're taken to the data you need (without endless nesting).

The tech tree is cool, and so massive that you really have to ponder your choices, but it doesn't always tell you what it actually unlocks so you have to use a wiki too. I've only played as human so far, and judging by the end reports, I'm getting battered by the AI on normal (I haven't forced a conflict yet).

The combat is a bit rubbish all right; I don't really understand it (or else I need to unlock more cards) so I just Auto it based on the brute strength score of the fleets. It's not a major sticking point for me, in fact if Autoresolve isn't broken I might actually prefer it in this case.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:17 PM   #14
Pedro
128-bit Poster

So what should we do here - a top 5 games, with #1 getting 5 points and #5 getting 1 point? (I have a top 5).

If you had a top three, you could give them 5,4,3 points...

Or just a 5 for your #1.
Old 12-12-2012, 02:28 PM   #15
Pedro
128-bit Poster

My number 5, and the recipient of a potential 1 point, is.......XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

This year, for me, seemed to include a lot of 'gateway' games, in that games were released for niche genres like stealth (Dishonored), Turn Based Strategy (XCOM) and 4X (Endless Space), but were released in such a way that they would appeal to a more casual audience. Other people might say they were dumbed down versions for a console audience and so forth, but they certainly whetted my interest, and maybe, just maybe, I'll go on and play Thief, or Gal Civ II, some day.

XCOM was a good game - for me it was let down by the bugs like shooting through walls, sudden materialisation of all the enemies on the map in one place, etc. There also wasn't any replay value for me, because playing it on a harder difficulty would just mean inching forward through the maps one square at a time, and that doesn't really appeal.

On the plus side, I really enjoyed 90% of the game, and was extremely surprised that I did so. It was compulsive playing at times, and managed that rage-quit-followed-by-logging-on-5-minutes-later thing. It's my #5.

Running Total: XCOM Enemy Unknown - 1 pt.