About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > GameCritics.com Discussion > Content and Forum Feedback

Notices

Old 10-06-2012, 03:37 PM   #1
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Community User Submissions

Hello

I've been looking at the Community User Submissions thread, and have been surprised that there have been almost two full pages of reviews submitted in 2012. So there is a demand there for that type of thing, it seems.

However, I think that it's not really working. Firstly, the community isn't rating reviews.

Secondly, I can't be sure, but I don't think GameCritics staff are looking at them either.

To solve this issue, I propose that the Rating part, which currently states

Quote:
If your review is averages 4 stars or higher after 10 or more votes by the community and is approved by two staff members, we will publish your review on our main homepage.
is changed so that FIVE ratings of 4 stars or higher is the new standard. If you look at one of the best recent reviews over there, Odofakyodo's Journey review, it was only rated 6 times, so 10 ratings is far too high.

As part of that, I would urge the regulars to read the review, and rate it. You don't have to write anything justifying your rating, but please read it and rate it if you have time.

Secondly, it would be good if GameCritics would give an undertaking to check in once every two weeks or so just to see if anything is there. You would only need to comment if the thread had been rated 5 times at an average of 4 stars. Maybe the reviews are being checked, but making an odd note in there would signify to people that they weren't wasting their time.

Offering the chance to get your review published on the site is something that makes this place what it is, so it would be a shame if it just fell by the wayside.

In Summary
We, the users, need to read and rate the reviews. Just a rating is fine.
Gamecritics need to read anything that averages 4 or above.

Can we agree to do that? Thoughts?
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 08:34 AM   #2
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough
Re: Community User Submissions

I'm fine with that. Although there were a lot of reviews I didn't rate or comment on because I thought they were bad. Not simply matters of editing but of perception and not understanding what this site is about.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2012, 05:14 PM   #3
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Sure, and we have the same issue with reviews that could use a bit of work before we rate them - no point giving it a 2 or 3 if they can fix it up and get a 4.

So I'm still going to do that; but those that have no hope, just rate them low and that will sort that out.
Old 10-09-2012, 04:53 AM   #4
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I had a review submitted a long time ago that got the required rating and even more than 10 votes but nothing happened*. After that I got lazy reading and rating community submissions. A personal problem of mine: I tend to look at reviews of games I played myself to better judge the content. Turned out I found myself disagree with quite a lot of them. But once you start disagreeing, a lengthy discussion can start. I have to review tons of reports, articles and other publications on a daily basis for work. Don't feel like doing work in form of peer-review-processes in my spare time.

* afterwards I didn't bother with formal reviews anymore and rather just open a regular forum post free from shackles of reviewing, like this or that. I enjoy this form of game tourism much more than writing reviews.

Last edited by Li-Ion; 10-09-2012 at 05:00 AM.
Li-Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2012, 02:41 PM   #5
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
A personal problem of mine: I tend to look at reviews of games I played myself to better judge the content. Turned out I found myself disagree with quite a lot of them. But once you start disagreeing, a lengthy discussion can start.
Sure, but you don't need to give the review a bad score because you disagree with it, as long as the author writes a nice review and argues his case cogently. cf. the Odofakyodo review again. I remember you didn't agree with that one much.

Quote:
afterwards I didn't bother with formal reviews anymore and rather just open a regular forum post free from shackles of reviewing. I enjoy this form of game tourism much more than writing reviews.
Yeah, writing reviews sucks. I don't know why they do it (though I'm glad the people at this site do; I think they have some great writers).

Quote:
I have to review tons of reports, articles and other publications on a daily basis for work. Don't feel like doing work in form of peer-review-processes in my spare time.
Ah, I can see why you would not then. No objection to that!
Old 04-27-2013, 05:42 AM   #6
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I've kinda come full circle on this. I'm going to stop rating reviews for a while, for two reasons:

a) the reviews are submitted, receive feedback, and then the reviewer disappears. I admit it annoys me that they don't bother to engage with the community in any way. It would be different if they posted in the rest of the forum an odd time.

b) the process seems to be a bust. Unworkable due to low traffic and low interest from the main site.

Ah'm oot.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:30 PM   #7
Dale Weir
Site God

Thanks for all that you did with the user submissions Pedro. It did not go unappreciated.

Dale
Dale Weir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2013, 12:32 PM   #8
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Now with the guilt! Thanks Dale