About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 08-23-2012, 08:26 PM   #286
Kin Korn Karn

Re: What are you playing right now?

Ran through Borderlands again with a new class I have yet to try (soldier). Can't wait for BL 2!

Tried out Fable 3 for a bit. Man, that game is just a shadow on the second game. Just feels rushed and clunky. Pass.
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:33 AM   #287
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
I have returned!
Welcome back, Li-Ion. Since your last post mentioned Blood Bowl, I feared that you had developed a Games Workshop-related obsession, holed up in your apartment muttering about AG5 Blitzers and the like.

Let us know how Dark Souls is on PC. I hear you have to go all the way down to bloody Ash Lake to access the new content.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2012, 08:06 PM   #288
JLB1987
Sex machine

Dragon Age Love my new city elf. Time will tell if I get bored of him as I have my other two non-bearded, axe wielding dwarven characters (no idea why I seem to prefer playing as something the direct physical opposite of myself), but I already remember why I love this game so. My only criticism is that the game dips it's toe into being quite dark, but never really commits to it. Wish it was darker still, although I guess a wider audience would have been compromised if they made the game more "mature".

Spelunky Free PC game, recently remade for Xbox. Since I'm not connected to Xbox live, I tried this version as I really like the idea of ultra-difficult action games, but never had the time for something like Dark Souls. It's brilliant. So far only made it to the second zone, and approaching 250 deaths, but there's something rewarding about slowly getting better, gradually getting further. Plus it appeals to my OCD nature to collect treasures. Many, many treasures.

Also, you can shoplift and sacrifice damsels in distress for material gain. One of the best games I've played for ages.

Guitar Hero series, exclusively on drums. On hard/ expert modes. Great game. Finishing Motorhead's "Overkill" on hard is probably the highlight of my gaming career. Screw Dark Souls, this is where the challenge is. On a serious note, it's great playing a game which tricks you into exercising, and makes you feel like you're doing something sort of productive.

Despite having very limited gaming time due to having a high-maintenance woman (and her daughter) in the house, I've never had it so good as a gamer. Look forward to catching up on my indie bundle backlog as soon as we get internet sorted out...
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 06:50 AM   #289
Pedro
64-bit Poster

[quote=JLB1987;201991] Finishing Motorhead's "Overkill" on hard is probably the highlight of my gaming career.QUOTE]

That is brilliant.

Played a little bit of Rock Of Ages. Bleurgh.
Old 08-28-2012, 07:10 AM   #290
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Let us know how Dark Souls is on PC. I hear you have to go all the way down to bloody Ash Lake to access the new content.
Ash Lake? Access is from Darkroot Basin. However, you need to beat up a golem in the Duke's Archives first.

I still wait for my copy of the game to arrive

Kept playing a bit on the PS3 to get used to combat & timing again (did all bosses except Sif and the 4 big ones) and to try out a new build I want to play with the PC version.

Last edited by Li-Ion; 08-28-2012 at 07:15 AM.
Li-Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2012, 04:07 PM   #291
Pedro
64-bit Poster

One of the great things about the Souls games is the collaboration - I'm enjoying reading that thread on RPS forums and seeing those guys feeling their way through the game. A pity there was 20 pages of PC-gamer whining before the game was released though

I am playing Madden 13. Woooo!

It seems really good, I had a couple of quick games last night and the new physics are good. A great improvement is the receivers turn their heads when they are ready to receive the ball, and DBs can't intercept the ball if they are not looking straight at it.

Fired up Connected Careers mode this evening for a short while and it looks goooood. Very deep; it's not going to be a case of just cycling through gameweeks, as there are proper trades to be made, XP gained from practice etc.

Cautiously optimistic at the moment. As usual there have been several almost-ragequits already. I'd almost forgotten what those are like.
Old 08-30-2012, 06:35 PM   #292
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Now playing the Prepare to Die Edition of Dark Souls. It's the best version of the game, apart from some issues with matchmaking and multiplayer sessions. All too often sessions don't work, similar to the problems that were at launch of the console versions. Back then a patch sorted out most issues after a couple of weeks, I hope this will be the case here as well.

Today I made my way through Blighttown with my new pc character. I am happy to say that I had no framerate-stutters (which pretty much crippled the console versions in some parts of Blighttown) at all and thanks to the DSfix I enjoy vastly improved graphics over the console versions. It's rendering on 1080p at stable 30 frames per second. I guess I could dial up the resolution a bit but I didn't want to until I was sure my setup can handle Blighttown.

I also enjoy reading the reports of pc gamers who experience the darkness the first time. A feeling which jaded veterans of Demon's and Dark Souls might sometimes miss
Old 08-31-2012, 11:58 AM   #293
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I have to say I am a little jealous of first timers alright.

Funny, I didn't have any issues in Blighttown on the PS3 - in fact I didn't even notice the stuttering until it was pointed out in some review. Glad it works on PC though.

I have been toying with the idea of doing the Demon's Platinum, but it seems like a lot of effort - getting the correct character and world tendencies sounds like a pain. However it is nice to know it is there for me if I need it.
Old 09-01-2012, 12:33 PM   #294
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I have uploaded my Game Face to Madden

A fearsome sight. I should now have the psychological advantage in PVP:

Not as terrible in-game with the helmet. I'll have to make him into a coach:

Tinypic's Captchas are amusing these days:

Old 09-03-2012, 08:52 AM   #295
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

With the helmet on he just looks like having terrible make-up.

mild spoilers regarding Dark Souls DLC ahead...

I'm still playing Dark Souls, obviously, and finally got to the new areas. In true DS fashion the new area is guarded by a boss who tears everyone apart coming unprepared. The arena is ankle-deep under water (rusted iron ring is highly recommended) and the sanctuary guardian is very swift and aggressive. To make matters worse he does 3 types of damage (physical, lightning and poison) and has a more erratic moveset compared to other bosses. Took me about 7 deaths to get all the tells and figure out at what times I can attack or not. And more importantly: when I have a break long enough to pop an estus.

Afterwards I talked to a giant mushroom and went to the royal garden, where scarecrows with pitchforks and hedge-clippers next to stone giants were waiting for me. As usual I'd try to separate some enemies from the pack and take them out one at a time, but that was hardly possible. They usually attack in packs and don't let themselves get overwhelmed easily.

Then I met the big man himself, Artorias the Abysswalker. He seemed to have spent a little too much time down there, judging by his demeanor. It took me four attempts to break him. I almost had him at my second try but got too greedy and ran straight into his attack. But I didn't mind doing this fight over and over, because it's pretty amazing (at least for a melee character). He's agile and hard hitting, the fight is very dynamic and reminded me a bit on pvp encounters.

Now I'm on my way through the Oolacile township, where the standard enemies are rather stupid and pretty much insane (judging from their mumbling). They also hit like a truck and drop large titanite shards like candy.

So far I'm really enjoying the dlc-area and look forward to the two other bosses...
Old 09-05-2012, 01:41 PM   #296
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Hmm, it will take me 4x your number of tries, I am sure.

Is there a story attached to the DLC or are you just killing stuff. Do you get any reward?
Old 09-06-2012, 06:58 AM   #297
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

There is plenty of story in the DLC, in true DS-fashion mostly hidden. The player can meet (and kill) quite some people which are famous in DS-lore and some of them drop some interesting facts. And obviously you'll learn a lot about Oolacile and what happened there. Rewards are also aplenty. Some really cool looking armor sets for example and new weapons for both dex and strength builds, along with new sorceries and pyromancies. All those are not "stronger" than anything in the main game, but contribute to even more variety.
Old 09-08-2012, 06:16 AM   #298
Pedro
64-bit Poster

That sounds good. October sometime for consoles.

I have a whole weekend for games-playing, and I can't raise much interest.

Started - Walking Dead Part II, but the Mouse controls made me ragequit at the first 'situation' (about 1 minute in).

I started up the PS+ free Just Cause 2; seems like Garry's Mod kinda fun - great if you are a teenager and have unlimited time to mess about in the world. Will have to give it a chance but not impressed right away.

Madden 13 needs a patch; after being impressed with all the shiny new stuff, it has worn off a bit. Need the online league to start to motivate me.

I didn't bother buying Sleeping Dogs - I think Brad made a good point on the podcast: it doesn't look like it offers anything unless you find the whole Hong Kong concept 'cool'.

I think Red Dead Redemption is on PS+ this month, though I've already completed it on Xbox, so I'd just be trophy-whoring there.

I can't face Demon's Souls as I have a ridiculously complex set of tasks to do in there - get my character tendency to pure white, then black, which means getting certain worlds tendencies to black or white in order to spawn the character tendency-affecting NPCs.

I am disgruntled.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:10 AM   #299
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Get Dark Souls on PC and join some jolly co-operation. Praise the sun!

Still playing Dark Souls and I'm kinda stuck at Manus now, the final boss of the DLC. I have to get some different gear to tackle him maybe, my main problem seems to be the low vitality. Unfortunately low vitality was one of the cornerstones of my low-vitality build. Seems to bite me in the ass now
Old 09-11-2012, 12:49 PM   #300
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I don't think my PC will run it, and I don't have the usb thing to plug in a controller so I'm fine waiting. I hope you are not taking this release as an excuse to vote it your Game of the Year again....