About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 06-01-2012, 09:21 PM   #241
JLB1987
Sex machine

Re: What are you playing right now?

Bought the current IndieRoyale indie bundle, as I liked the sound of Dead Pixels. It's great, very addictive. 8-bit style retro graphics, which seems to be a popular theme for indie games (I suppose for many obvious reasons), but they're not unattractive. Everything looks big, chunky, and functional.

Gameplay-wise, I could sum up the game as generally running right, avoiding and/ or shooting zombies in the face, but that would be doing it a major disservice. It's actually a pretty deep game- many of the shops, houses, etc aren't boarded up and you can loot them, which you can sell to the occasional shop you come across. However, you must take into account how much weight you can carry, and what is important enough that you want to keep hold of (maybe a good weapon, or something valuable you can eventually sell). I'm playing on the "hardest" difficulty level, and it really is a fight for survival- albeit, in a very arcadey, retro zombie apocalypse.

Love it. In many ways, the game Dead Rising would have been if it were made twenty years ago.

Last edited by JLB1987; 06-01-2012 at 09:54 PM.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 09:26 PM   #242
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I bought the current humble bundle, which is amazing:

Even though I already own Amnesia and Swords & Sorcery. I started playing a bit Bastion. But today, sorry yesterday Dragon's Dogma arrived. After spending lots of time finding the right combination of hairstyle and playing with body types I managed to play the actual game. Suddenly it's half past 3 in the morning and I didn't notice. Really liking what I see so far.
Old 06-02-2012, 01:15 AM   #243
RandomRob

Rep Power: 9 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

Puzzle Quest on the DS. Fiendishly addictive.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 09:51 PM   #244
gamevet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zanbatou View Post
I just hit the 200 hour mark in Skyrim.

The first 100 hours or so were amazing. Skyrim was my first Elder Scrolls game, and I'd never encountered such a vast yet detailed world in a game before.

In one of the gamecritics podcasts someone (I forget who) mentioned that the stories in Skyrim felt like they were a fanfiction writer's dream, with just enough hooks provided to create your own narratives around. I definitely agree with that assessment (not that I've ever written fanfiction, but I do see the appeal). I spent more time and energy role-playing in Skyrim than I ever have in any other game. I spent a lot of time thinking about who my character was, how she was changing, and which missions it made sense for her to do. I'm confident the path I took through those first 100 hours was uniquely my own.

Around the 100 hour point the feel of the game began to change. I stopped receiving three new quests for every one I managed to complete. Role playing became more difficult as I started running out of quests that were an obvious fit for my character and I started to do ones that were more of a stretch. By this point I'd also learned how all of the game's various systems worked (alchemy, enchanting, shouts, etc). There was still plenty left to do in the game, but not very much left to learn.

It was around here that Skyrim stopped being the game I played when I wanted to actively think and figure things out, and instead became the game I play when I want to relax. And while that's certainly a downgrade, I'm still having a lot of fun leisurely walking back and forth across the world, completing random quests as I go. And I'm still discovering new details, areas, and stories that make the continued time spent in Tamriel worthwhile.

I was holding out writing a post like this until I could put it in the "post here when you beat a game" thread, but I've come to realize that that isn't going to happen any time soon, if ever. I'm even toying with the idea of starting a new character so I can explore some of the more morally questionable plot lines that it will never make sense for my primary character to pursue. I guess my friends were right when they told me no one really finishes Elder Scrolls games.
Have you completed all of the Deadric artifact quests?

I've spent over 240 hours playing the game, but came up 1 artifact short of completing the questline, because I had made the wrong choice on one of the quests. It's the only thing I haven't completed to get the Platinum trophy for the PS3 version.

I'm going back through the Starcraft II campaign on hard. I recently discovered that using 2 videocards in SLI actually decreases the performance of the game, so I've disabled one of my cards. Even with an Intel Q9650 (LGA 775 Quad-core) @ 3.3 Ghz, my frame-rates have dropped down to the 30 range during the more heated battles. Using a single GTX 460, I can run the game on maximum settings, but to keep the game running well, I may have to lower down a few of the model settings.
gamevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 09:42 AM   #245
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

The only Daedric artifact quests I've done are the ones that didn't require me to kill people. Apart from a few minor connections to the thieves guild, and a couple extremely bloody nights after becoming a werewolf, my character has been mostly good.

My original plan was to play as a pacifist and avoid killing people as much as possible. It turns out the game really wasn't designed with pacifism in mind. Still, in the first 50 hours I had only killed 5 people (one of whom was pretending to be a ghost, so I don't feel too guilty about him). Not bad for a game in which half the world's population immediately drops everything they're doing to try to kill you as soon as they see you.

My morals have numbed considerably since then, but not so much that I'm willing to commit murder for the various demon gods. I'm still trying to keep the body count relatively low. The civil war and werewolf story-lines have given me pretty good excuses to explore the bloodier sides of the game, though.

I'm pretty sure it's impossible to earn the Daedric artifact achievement without playing as an evil character (or at least, a very unscrupulous one). I'm toying with the idea of creating a much less moral character for that very reason. I'd like to explore the dark brotherhood quest-lines as well.

Also, I fudged the numbers a bit before when I said I'd just hit the 200 hour point. I'm actually up to 220 hours as of last night, which is an embarrassingly high number. I'm glad to see someone else is in the same boat though.

Last edited by Zanbatou; 06-03-2012 at 09:49 AM.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2012, 12:32 PM   #246
gamevet

Unfortuneatly, you're going to have to complete the Thieves Guild quests to complete the Deadric artifacts collection.

Last edited by gamevet; 06-03-2012 at 12:34 PM.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:39 PM   #247
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Playing Dragon's Dogma and while it's a bit rough around the edges I absolutely love it. I completely forgot this 'Diablo'-thing that has been out for some weeks now (and hardly ever works).
Old 06-04-2012, 09:46 AM   #248
JLB1987
Sex machine

Fallout: New Vegas. Finally. Waited for the GOTY edition, pre-ordered, and have only just got round to starting it. At the moment... it feels eerily similar to Fallout 3. I don't know, I was expectiing for it all to look a lot brighter, as that game is set out in the desert, but it still all looks so dull. Just yellow-y grey, instead of grey grey. I suppose it's a step up.

On the bright side, the graphics are technically improved over number 3. Also, even in this early stage, many of the side missions feel a lot fresher and inventive than before. Also like the system where different places have different feelings towards you, like in Fallout and Fallout 2 (I think. It's been a while since I played those ones). Adds an extra dimension to the gameplay, although I'm sceptical about how different it will make my journey through the desert wasteland to anyone else's.

Should also note I'm playing on hardcore mode. To be honest, other than the extra weight of Ammo, it doesn't really seem to be much more of a challenge than it normally would be."Stimpaks etc healing over time", I assumed that would mean the course of several minutes rather than several seconds.

Enjoying it all so far, however.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:41 PM   #249
RandomRob

Rep Power: 9 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

I'm bouncing between

Space Marine - which I think is a fine hack & slash game, though the cheap dogpile kills make it tiresome. I think if they had added a HelloKitty skin option this game would be WAYYY better...

9 hours 9 people 9 doors - which I think is the best story driven game I've ever played. I really like these comic book style DS games... I think this market could be explored ALOT more

Saints Row the Third - not as customizable as 2, but still a heck of a lot of fun. The quasi-super-powered enemies are a nice diversion.

Last edited by RandomRob; 06-04-2012 at 10:44 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:52 PM   #250
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
I've spent over 240 hours playing the game, but came up 1 artifact short of completing the questline, because I had made the wrong choice on one of the quests. It's the only thing I haven't completed to get the Platinum trophy for the PS3 version.
Wow. Are you going to do a quick run through with a new character in order to do that quest again?

When Point Lookout came out I started Fallout 3 again, and was level 7 when I got to the Point. It was...challenging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB1987 View Post
Should also note I'm playing on hardcore mode. To be honest, other than the extra weight of Ammo, it doesn't really seem to be much more of a challenge than it normally would be."Stimpaks etc healing over time", I assumed that would mean the course of several minutes rather than several seconds.
I started off like that but found it annoying more than anything else. I was constantly limping around with a broken leg, because you needed doctors' bags or something to cure that. Irritating.

While Fallout 3 was one of my best gaming experiences, F:NV made a lot of improvements (not having to use VATS, good main quest storylines etc). It's a decent game.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:12 PM   #251
JLB1987
Sex machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
While Fallout 3 was one of my best gaming experiences, F:NV made a lot of improvements (not having to use VATS, good main quest storylines etc). It's a decent game.
Yea, I've noticed that- not only are the actual shooting elements of the game functional, they are also actually quite enjoyable. For example, last night I had a pack of feral ghouls running at me. I managed to shoot all but one in real time before they reached where I was, and simply killed the last one in VATS as he was leaping towards me. Very satisfying, and it is nice not having to rely on VATS.

I definitely prefer the setting/ characters, it's all even quirkier than F3, which I like. I'm in the middle of the quest where you help a group of ghouls, except one of them is blatantly just a human of thinks he's a ghoul. Definitely raised a smile. I hope moments like this keep coming!
Old 06-06-2012, 02:17 PM   #252
Pedro
128-bit Poster

The shooting makes a huge difference; the game fell short of Fallout 3 for me in the end, though I can't define quite why.

I am still playing (read: totally obsessed by) OOTP13, and have just been sacked as the Padres GM after 5 seasons:

The good news is that my second team in baseball, the A's, have offered me a job, because my record is 'good' (one game over .500). So looks like I'll be heading up there, though they have an even smaller payroll than the Padres.

My biggest problem with the Padres was locating players who could hit consistently. Don't know how I'll solve that problem.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:17 PM   #253
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Still playing OOTP 13, in my second season with the A's and with the third smallest payroll in baseball:

Seriously, this game is great. If you like baseball, you should get it.

Also started playing Dragon's Dogma properly. So far there is a lot to like, and it is really neat playing with other forumites' characters (pawns in the game). Really love what this has done with the whole online thing.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #254
gamevet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Wow. Are you going to do a quick run through with a new character in order to do that quest again?

When Point Lookout came out I started Fallout 3 again, and was level 7 when I got to the Point. It was...challenging.
I found a save at level 20, that had all of the options available to do the quests. There were 2 quests that I had problems with. A Man's Best Friend couldn't happen, because the blacksmith I was supposed to talk to, got killed by a dragon. He was just laying there, dead, next to a tree in the village.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:46 PM   #255
RandomRob

not a well-received title, for reasons including irritating difficulty, and slow loading times.. but I really like the sci-fi take on Puzzlequest.. very addictive, lots to do... also the music is outstanding for a DS game.