About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 05-17-2012, 11:49 AM   #226
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Re: What are you playing right now?

Installed the complete mod and just played my first 45 minutes of S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl. Got in my first gunfight with some bandits and realized very quickly that this is not your standard FPS. I almost died like my newfound comrades and could barely save myself into a building, while clumsily patching myself up. After looting one of the corpses I got a sawn-off shotgun and started to stalk the stalkers. I rescued the guy I was looking for and got the data I needed. Now I'm looking for more trouble, but would really like to have a nice AK.
Old 05-17-2012, 07:39 PM   #227
JLB1987
Sex machine

Thanks for more feedback on it Li-Ion, be sure to keep us updated on how you're finding it, too. Gonna purchase it the next time I have a decent chunk of time off work, really looking forward to it.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 08:55 AM   #228
RandomRob

Rep Power: 9 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

Red Dead Revolver (PS2)

Flight Control

Mighty Milky Way

Little Red Riding Hood's Zombie BBQ
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 06:13 AM   #229
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I am weak. I bought Diablo 3. I am ashamed of my need to click on things until they are dead. It started with a "friend" sending me a key to the trial version (as much as someone can be a friend who gives you some crack to try...). Giving it a spin with the Barbarian it just clicked and the 'old' Diablo-feeling was back. Overwhelmed by nostalgia I upgraded to the full version, just to see this for most of Sunday:

After all my doubts about always-on-drm I buy that stupid game and then I can't play it because the servers are down almost the entire Sunday for maintenance.

I went out, it was a sunny day after all, and had a walk in the park. While I was soaking up some sunlight I reflected on the need to be online, meaning of life and how magnets work. Coming home some hours later the servers were still down. But I didn't care. I took out Mage Knight the Boardgame, which looks something like that:

The best of all: I didn't encounter the number 37. It takes my favourite bits of games like civilization and makes a whole game around it: exploration of uncharted lands, getting some armies and beating up barbarians/orcs.
Old 05-21-2012, 10:01 AM   #230
RandomRob

Rep Power: 9 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

lol- good spirit! That game looks cool. I miss games like that.

I downloaded 'Lunar Flight' from Steam. Twitchy remake of the old Atari lunar lander sim from the arcades. As expected, brutally unforgiving and not that much fun, really.
Old 05-23-2012, 10:56 AM   #231
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

The Mage Knight Boardgame is excellent, can recommend it even for people who don't have anyone to play with, as it's even fun played solo. Actually while playing solo nobody is nagging me if I take longer to plan my turn ^^

I finally managed to play some Diablo 3, together with the 6.3 million other players. It is quite fun for a game which consists of clicking on things until they are dead. But they die in such satisfying fashion. Some demons just explode when I slash them, with the right skills they cause damage while exploding, which can result in some hilarious chain reactions with lesser enemies. The story feels very 90ies, with static characters over-delivering camp fantasy cliches. Broken up by really nice cutscenes, which seemed to have been writen, directed and implemented by an entirely different team than the rest of the plot.

Error 37 didn't occur since Sunday, but I had significant lag-spikes in my 'singleplayer' games and annoyingly a lot of errors when I try to use the auction house. I can't create auctions for some items for no other reason than 1347 (wut?) and when I bid on items it's usually resulting in an error, telling me my bid is too low. I do like the new skill system. In D2 there were plenty of classes where early skills were utterly useless. That's not the case in D3 and some runes alter the very nature of a given skill.

Some light, some shadows, not a game I could put a number on to determine it's quality.
Old 05-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #232
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Those are incredible sales for Diablo.

God help me, I have bought Out of the Park Baseball 13 and am giving it the evil eye right now. It could be a terrible mistake.

Stats.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 05:12 PM   #233
RandomRob

I have started Metro 2033 and really like what I'm seeing so far. The combat in the dark is exactly what it should be, and the grim post nuclear apocalyptic feel of it is a welcome treat after the happy hippy-dippy action of Fallout3.
Old 05-23-2012, 05:21 PM   #234
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Metro 2033 is great, I am a bit disappointed that most people seemed to consider it a mee-too-fallout-clone... I definitely come back to that game once it communicates better with my graphics card.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:00 AM   #235
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Played the first or so hour of Alan Wake. Really nice start, but the wooden character animations (especially the faces) are a bit odd.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:22 AM   #236
RandomRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
Metro 2033 is great, I am a bit disappointed that most people seemed to consider it a mee-too-fallout-clone... I definitely come back to that game once it communicates better with my graphics card.
yes, it's a scifi/horror adventure game, not an rpg. I think it's absolutely outstanding so far.

Do you have windows 7? I have it running on that with Direct X 11 enabled and it looks and runs extremely well.
Loads of fog and shadows and running water, etc.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:27 AM   #237
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I have Win7, the issue seems to be the driver for my ATI card. There has been an update of catalyst in between so I might give it another try now.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:20 PM   #238
RandomRob

Saint's Row: the Third

omg I love this game
Old 05-30-2012, 06:31 PM   #239
Pedro
128-bit Poster

I have been completely obsessed with Out of the Park Baseball 13 for the last week. Thinking about it all the time, even my work is suffering:

I thought I'd spare you the screenshot full of statistics.

I've played two seasons as the Padres; missed out on the wildcard in 2012 by 1 game, then put together a 78-84 record in 2013 and finished 14 games behind the Giants (boo, hiss!).

However fan interest has soared from 51 to 100 as I've moved away from the small ball mentality, and I've finally put together a team to contend for playoffs in 2014.

Would highly recommend it to any baseball fans.

Also, playing the FREE a short game about jumping on iOS. It's great, check it out!

Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 02:29 AM   #240
Zanbatou
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to Zanbatou

I just hit the 200 hour mark in Skyrim.

The first 100 hours or so were amazing. Skyrim was my first Elder Scrolls game, and I'd never encountered such a vast yet detailed world in a game before.

In one of the gamecritics podcasts someone (I forget who) mentioned that the stories in Skyrim felt like they were a fanfiction writer's dream, with just enough hooks provided to create your own narratives around. I definitely agree with that assessment (not that I've ever written fanfiction, but I do see the appeal). I spent more time and energy role-playing in Skyrim than I ever have in any other game. I spent a lot of time thinking about who my character was, how she was changing, and which missions it made sense for her to do. I'm confident the path I took through those first 100 hours was uniquely my own.

Around the 100 hour point the feel of the game began to change. I stopped receiving three new quests for every one I managed to complete. Role playing became more difficult as I started running out of quests that were an obvious fit for my character and I started to do ones that were more of a stretch. By this point I'd also learned how all of the game's various systems worked (alchemy, enchanting, shouts, etc). There was still plenty left to do in the game, but not very much left to learn.

It was around here that Skyrim stopped being the game I played when I wanted to actively think and figure things out, and instead became the game I play when I want to relax. And while that's certainly a downgrade, I'm still having a lot of fun leisurely walking back and forth across the world, completing random quests as I go. And I'm still discovering new details, areas, and stories that make the continued time spent in Tamriel worthwhile.

I was holding out writing a post like this until I could put it in the "post here when you beat a game" thread, but I've come to realize that that isn't going to happen any time soon, if ever. I'm even toying with the idea of starting a new character so I can explore some of the more morally questionable plot lines that it will never make sense for my primary character to pursue. I guess my friends were right when they told me no one really finishes Elder Scrolls games.

Last edited by Zanbatou; 06-01-2012 at 02:43 AM.
Zanbatou is offline   Reply With Quote