About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 03-23-2012, 03:04 PM   #181
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Re: What are you playing right now?

Just played through the strangely stilted opening to Mass Effect 3. All guns'n'lip gloss so far.

I cannot wait to get to this ending everyone's on about.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 05:00 PM   #182
JLB1987
Sex machine

After recently beginning a new relationship with a poor girl who is mentally defective enough to have me, I can finally say I have a woman who is into gaming! To celebrate, I bought Left 4 Dead 2 for us to play together. I played the first one for about twenty minutes on single player, before realising that it is a game that wasn't going to fulfil it's potential whilst playing it by myself, so sold it. Now, just playing it in split-screen mode, I can see what all the fuss is about. Obviously, two of the characters still have to be controlled by the computer, but in a way it's nice to not have to worry so much about reviving others myself. It's a big, dumb shooter to some extent, but it also rewards teamwork- I kept getting told off for doing stuff like rushing ahead on my own, hogging all the medi-packs, and especially for trying to take down the witch whenever I saw her. Eventually I came round, and we started finding it much easier to work our way through the levels. Really enjoying it so far.

Also bought Goldeneye, but I haven't had much chance to play it yet. I'm not familiar with the single-player of the original, does anyone know how faithful it is? Like what I've seen so far; I like how the different difficulty settings add new objectives, rather than just giving bad guys better accuracy and health. I can definitely see myself loving this one.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:07 PM   #183
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB1987 View Post
Also bought Goldeneye, but I haven't had much chance to play it yet. I'm not familiar with the single-player of the original, does anyone know how faithful it is? Like what I've seen so far; I like how the different difficulty settings add new objectives, rather than just giving bad guys better accuracy and health. I can definitely see myself loving this one.
What system did you pick up Goldeneye on?

I bought into the nostalgia hype when the game first came out for the Wii. Absolutely loved this game. Even though I bought it early on, was honestly expecting the game to be crap. Turned out to be a very solid experience - especially when using the wii-mote.

As for faithful to the original, not too much. There is the same basic storyline and a few similar levels, but that's about it. The only thing I can't comment on is the multi-player, as I have still yet to play local or online! Maybe one day...
frogofdeath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:10 PM   #184
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Currently playing Sonic Generations on the 360. Overall a good game, with some well put together levels for both "old" Sonic and "new" Sonic. There are a few stinkers for levels, but my least favorite part is the stupid challenge levels. Should have done away with these completely.

Also, old Sonic should be the true Sonic, as new Sonic is just annoying and lame.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:27 PM   #185
JLB1987
Sex machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by frogofdeath View Post
What system did you pick up Goldeneye on?

I bought into the nostalgia hype when the game first came out for the Wii. Absolutely loved this game. Even though I bought it early on, was honestly expecting the game to be crap. Turned out to be a very solid experience - especially when using the wii-mote.

As for faithful to the original, not too much. There is the same basic storyline and a few similar levels, but that's about it. The only thing I can't comment on is the multi-player, as I have still yet to play local or online! Maybe one day...
Xbox 360, although I understand it's the same game as the Wii version, with prettier graphics and a new Spec Ops mission mode thing. I bought it primarily for the multi-player, which I have fond memories of playing over a friend's house, but we haven't had a chance to play it yet. Can't wait to get into it!

James Bond has such great potential for videogames, and yet there are very few quality ones. Hopefully Goldeneye 007 will be a kick up the arse for future games starring him.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2012, 02:40 AM   #186
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Played about 20 hours of Star Trek: Online, onboard the USS Gunship Diplomat and later USS Problem Child. 20 hours is a bit misleading, since at least 5 of those I spent reading forums and wikis to figure out what the hell is going on. The game does an awful job of explaining itself. There are tons of tooltips and text in the game, but they let me usually back confused. Items are also weird, with a handheld Mk III assault cannon for level 10 doing less damage than Mk I dual pistols at level 5. The ship combat shows how designers struggle what to do with the 3rd dimension and it feels more like 17th century ship combat than space combat. Weirdly all weapons have a maximum range of 10km. 10km? Seriously? A tomahawk missile has a range of 2500km, and supermodern space-phasers and torpedoes suddenly can't go further than 10? The away-team missions control like my starship captain runs in boots full of jelly. So far I didn't have much MM in my ORPG, maybe then the game opens up. What it does well is making me feel like a starship captain in the star trek universe. I was never much of a trekkie, but I do like the feeling of having my own ship and look for trouble in the universe. Too bad itīs held back by so many problems. But hey, itīs free to play and if youīre a fan of star trek you probably already played it and if not you should have a look.

Now started Legends of Grimrock, a fun throwback to Dungeon Master, Lands of Lore and Eye of the Beholder-ish dungeon crawlers. Now down in the fourth level and both combat and puzzles are getting more difficult.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:31 AM   #187
knighteyes
New Poster

Playing Demon's Souls (haven't played for a long time after a tough first hours in the game) and Darksiders.
knighteyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 05:32 PM   #188
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

L.A. Noire

absolutely love it.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 01:35 PM   #189
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Journey
So pretty.

A monster ripped my scarf apart
Old 04-19-2012, 02:40 PM   #190
Pedro
64-bit Poster

God dammit, blog ate extremely long-winded post.

Out of the Park Baseball on iOS. It's great!
Old 04-19-2012, 04:05 PM   #191
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Started Mound & Blade Warband. Pretty rough start. Had to start the game 3 times already since the 'tutorial' isn't really well made and I quickly brought myself into situations only to be described as dire.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:06 PM   #192
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Currently working on Batman: Arkham City. What a great game. Also just went back and played through some levels in Sonic Generations just for fun. Another good, solid game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomRob View Post
L.A. Noire

absolutely love it.
Recently purchased this game for a whopping $2.38. Looking forward to playing, though it may not be until this summer when I have more time.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:11 PM   #193
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

I was playing Mass Effect 3 until I went to California for a little while. When I got back Xenoblade Chronicles came out. I became sidetracked with that.

I don't have a lot of motivation in going back to ME 3. Xenoblade has been good, but over hyped. I may put it down because of time.

I picked up The Witcher 2 this week even though I am already backlogged. I also want to play Darksiders before the sequel comes out.

My problem is not that I play a lot of games. I just start and not finish too many games.

I was close to finishing both LA Noire and Bioshock last year and never got around to it. I liked both of those games too.

Last edited by abfackeln; 04-20-2012 at 12:14 PM.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:18 PM   #194
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Re: Mount and Blade (sorry, can only post on this site from my phone and haven't found an easy way to quote etc yet. I am all thumbs.)

Will be interested to hear your thoughts on this, as I easily spent 500 hours with the original M&B. It's in my top five games ever. The forums are full of good advice, and don't take on too much at the start. Get yourself a horse and set pole arms to the easy setting where they automatically lower when you hit the minimum speed. That's if you're playing a knight of course. Man that game is so deep.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:20 PM   #195
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Abfacklen: that's three crazy games to have on the go. I confidently predict you will finish none of those either.