About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Books & Comics

Notices

Old 03-19-2012, 04:54 AM   #76
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Re: What Are You Reading Right Now?

I finished A Player of Games. As I wrote earlier, the beginning is really slow and made me pause for a while to read other books. After about a third it clicked and the last third I read in one go. It is still not as good as the Wasp Factory, but much better than the first Culture novel. Now I'm reading Use of Weapons, which has a different tone than the previous book and a much better start (i.e. not boring).
Old 04-15-2012, 06:55 AM   #77
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Finished Use of Weapons and it's my favourite of the series so far. Excellent book with a great ending, one thing certain video games don't seem to manage

Now reading Mogworld by the man they call Yahtzee. So far quite enjoyable and quick to read. Next up: Stasiland by Anna Funder, a book about life in the surveillance society of eastern Germany.
Old 04-16-2012, 09:43 AM   #78
knighteyes
New Poster

I finished "Ready player one" a few days ago. I have a few unfinished books, buy I'll probably start "Mogworld", since you make me wonder why I haven't already.
knighteyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 02:27 PM   #79
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Reading a travel book about Burma which was written fifty years ago. It's called Golden Earth and is by Norman Lewis. It's amazingly well written, in prose you'd be envious of, and is a great example of a certain understated British sense of humour.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 02:25 PM   #80
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

Wish the publisher had picked a slightly larger font and pages that weren't so wide. lol. My eyes don't like this book. Story's a lot of fun, though.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 07:37 AM   #81
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Finished a couple of books:

State of the Art and Excession by Iain M. Banks. The first is a couple of short stories in the Culture-universe, the latter the culture-series' equivalent of A Space Odyssey. Well worth the read.

Die Brüder Himmler - Eine deutsche Familiengeschichte by Katrin Himmler (the brothers Himmler - tale of a German family). The niece of Heinrich Himmler tells the story of her family, and how what she found out was different from what her parents and grandparents were telling her growing up. Recommend it.

Der General der toten Armee by Ismail Kadare. An Italian general goes to Albania in the 1960ies, in order to bring back the dead servicemen from WW2 that were lost and buried there. Turns out much more difficult than it sounds. Liked it a lot, despite the grim subject matter.

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. Got interested by the hype around Spec-Ops the Line. I found the biography of Joseph Conrad more interesting to read than the book itself.

The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway. Apparently he got his Nobel prize in literature pretty much for this book. I don't really understand why I'm afraid...
Old 11-02-2012, 01:26 PM   #82
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. Got interested by the hype around Spec-Ops the Line. I found the biography of Joseph Conrad more interesting to read than the book itself.

The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway. Apparently he got his Nobel prize in literature pretty much for this book. I don't really understand why I'm afraid...
HoD - I liked it; it's a slow burner for sure, and trades on its ambiguity a bit too much, but good stuff.

Old Man & Sea - but the humanity!

Me: I haven't read a book since I got my smartphone. Disgraceful. I may try to read one this weekend.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:51 AM   #83
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Haven't posted here in a while...

Wild Sheep Chase by Haruki Murakami. A surreal detective novel without a detective. Liked it.

Stonemouth by Iain Banks. A book about homecoming, oddly resonated with me, albeit me having left my home under much, much better circumstances than the books hero

For the Emperor by Sandy Mitchell. What would happen if Blackadder would find himself in the grim and dark universe of Warhammer 40k? Entertaining.

Faust, der Tragödie zweiter Teil and Tristan und Isolde by Johan Wolfgang von Goethe. Re-read them since I was feeling a lack of culture after reading Warhammer

Next up:
Prisoner of Heaven by Carlos Ruiz Zafon and The Forever War by Joe Haldeman
Old 07-08-2013, 12:03 PM   #84
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I re-read The Road over the weekend and started re-reading one of his other books, Suttree. Not sure if I'll stick with it, I don't remember it appealing much.

Amazed that The Road became a mainstream hit, really.