About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Next-Gen Console Games

Notices

Old 11-23-2011, 03:19 AM   #91
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Re: Dark Souls (previously Project Dark)

lol, the new patch is here, having a look at the patchnotes...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patch 1.05
Iron Flesh effectiveness nerfed.
Just as I start using it

A lot of good changes. Lock-on range and changeing is being fixed, weapon scaling gets better. But also quite some nerfs, not only to iron flesh but also to the crystal ring shield, hollow soldier shield, removed invincibility of greater magic shield etc.

In any case, beat Nito on my 2nd attempt yesterday. He isn't all that difficult anyway as long as you're out of range of his AoE attack. Only problem is the way to him with enough estus flasks. On my first attemt I had 3 flasks when I crossed the fog gate, but after having to jump down I needed to take another, which left me with only 2 flasks for the whole fight. Regardless, I almost beat him straight away. Next time I decided to just sprint through to him. Rolled past the dogs, giant skeletons and carousel-things. Of course I missed my jump to get past the pinweel, needed to dogde, dive, dip duck and dodge my way to the fog gate. Arriving at nito I put on my divine weapon first to get rid of the pesky little skeletons before just keeping in his back with the furysword. Got hit sometimes by his spike-attack but apart from that I think none of his normal attacks ever touched me. Compared to most other bosses surprisingly easy.

Last edited by Li-Ion; 11-23-2011 at 03:21 AM.
Li-Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:24 AM   #92
ckzatwork
16-bit Poster

It's been awhile since I've posted my progress. Let's see.

I got EXTREMELY frustrated when loosing +40000 souls, after beating Pinwheel. Where the hell is the bonfire after the boss? I couldn't see a thing in the Tomb. I kept baby stepping and sliding down tombs praying for a bonfire but two giant skeletons and an archer killed me. Twice. NOOOOOOO! I love the transition to the Tomb of Giants but there should be a bonfire right after the boss. Most claustrophobic level ever.

I backtracked and decided to enter the Painted Word of Whatever. I found it to be my favorite level in the game: great grinding, great level design and you can even decide not to kill the boss. I got the red signal and started invading and having my ass kicked.

Next step, Gwyndolin.

Last edited by ckzatwork; 11-26-2011 at 07:38 AM.
ckzatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 01:44 PM   #93
Lammy742
New Poster

Location: Arlington, VA about 15 minutes from our nation's capital
Talking Re: Dark Souls (previously Project Dark)

I'm on my second playthrough of Dark Souls and have reached Anor Londo again, a point where I need to have my old weapons upgraded more because everything is starting to take way too long to kill. I use the lightning spear that I got about halfway through my first playthrough and I love it because you can have your shield up while you attack. If there's one simple tip about Dark Souls that I can impart it's that your shield is your best friend, don't be afraid to use it! It's just hard getting the upgrade materials needed to make the lightning spear more powerful. Also, I'm at the part where you have to run up the ramp while the knights are firing giant lance arrows at you and I probably have died and lost more souls there the most out of anywhere else in the game.
Lammy742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 03:17 PM   #94
ckzatwork
16-bit Poster

Alrighty.

I killed Laurel and Hardy with two phantoms. The first one died in seconds and I thought "well, I'm doomed". However, only the fatty remained and the other phantom and I positioned ourselves in opposite points of the cathedral bombarding him alternatively with fire and magic spells. A bit long but it did the trick.

I killed the giant princess with the big tits with an arrow straight to her face. Anor Londo isn't sunny anymore.

Went to New Londo for the boss with two phantoms and killed the thing easily, first try. Great setting that abyss thing. The game is filled with excellent design ideas. It feels so experimental and leftfield. I truly adore it more and more.

But I'm taking my time. I think critics lately are obsessed with constantly changing games that they can't possibly surrender themselves to a game like this. I haven't played anything else for more than a month and feel that I'm not missing anything.
Old 11-30-2011, 07:59 PM   #95
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

The Four Kings continue to reconstruct my face. However, I managed to beat Seath the Scaleless in my 2nd attempt. The first time I was a bit careless, but with some focus he wasn't much of an issue. Now I'm in Lost Izalith and cleared out most of the area I think. There is still a fog gate left, I assume the boss is hiding behind it. Three bosses to go if I counted correct.

I'm still obsessed with Dark Souls. My main character comes close to 75 hours played and my alts to 10 respectively 6.
Old 11-30-2011, 11:04 PM   #96
ckzatwork
16-bit Poster

Li-on, you can't beat Four Kings? I did it at my first try! Truth be told, one of the phantoms was a magic powerhouse with a 1000+ damage spell. I don't even know what it could be.

We're both obsessed, then. It's a shame people can't hook up for co-op, but I understand it in the grand scheme of thinks. Still, would love to play it with you, for instance. I'm at 62 playtime hours, level 75. I wonder how much is left.

Is Lost Ilizath or whatever as hard as people say? What do I need for that area?

Last edited by ckzatwork; 12-01-2011 at 09:21 AM.
ckzatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:36 AM   #97
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Most times I tried the Four Kings pre-patch when there was almost no phantom to be found. And those I could find would for example immediately die, since they either don't have or forgot the abysswalker-ring. That's the kind of backup I'm having here. Yesterday I tried two more times, the first time getting the combined lifebar of them Kings about halfway down before I overlooked that the almost dead King in front of me was doing his AoE-blast. The second time I was spammed with those slow moving projectiles and spent most time running away from the massive damage they cause, just to be beaten to a pulp since all Four Kings had joined the party by the time I could dispose one of them. Maybe I should try to get some phantoms again, but so far the folks trying to 'help' me at the Four Kings weren't particulary helpful.

For Lost Iza you need a bow with plenty of arrows, the ring that allows to walk on lava and the repairbox (I assume everyone with some sense invests that 3000 souls early on ). Pyromancies are pretty much useless down here, since most of the enemies in Iza are resistant to fire. Magic works quite ok. The most annoying (I wouldn't say difficult) part was getting to the second bonfire and disposing all the t-rex-like demons along the way. Luckily they don't respawn. So you can take your time, look for a good sniper spot (some place where they can't reach for example) and take them out from a distance. Once past the lava I didn't find the area particulary challenging. There are some annoying monsters that cast acid wave, which breaks equipment pretty quickly if they catch you (hence repairbox or the repair spell ).

I don't know if you already did the Firesage Demon and the Centipede Demon. The way to them used to be a bit tricky due to the sheer amount of capra and taurus demons there. But since the patch I noticed the capra demons to be way less aggressive and some enemies on the way have even been removed.

Co-op is possible as far as I read but takes quite some coordination to get together in games due to the random nature of how the white sign works. However: each time a white sign is put down it is put on a different server (or something) and eventually it will end up on the server the other person plays on. The only problem now is that I'm still SL 67, thus a bit out of your level range
Old 12-01-2011, 09:37 AM   #98
ckzatwork
16-bit Poster

Warped to Anor Londo and entered the Archives.

Got crucified by an enormous blue dragon and put in jail. Some eery drone music started playing and freaky mind flayers started a procession towards my character. They were killed one by one.

I'm still using a Raw Battle Axe +5 as my primary weapon. What weapons should I upgrade? Every black phantom has a fire forged weapon. Where is the fire thingy to give it to a blacksmith?

After exploring the Archives a bit more I got this feeling that, fuck, this game is massive, it's never-ending, will never end!
Old 12-01-2011, 09:58 AM   #99
Lammy742
New Poster

Location: Arlington, VA about 15 minutes from our nation's capital

All I did for the 4 kings was made sure I had 20 estes flasks and keep moving around to the back of each one. Ya gotta be quick because I think they just keep spawning so that there's always at least 4 of them there at all times. For the Centipede Demon, I just stayed by the door and it seemed easy to dodge him from there since that was the area that had the most solid ground.
Lammy742 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 01:26 PM   #100
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

The Bed of Chaos is done. This was the least enjoyable and most stupid boss fight so far. It's even worse than the Dragon God in Demon's Souls. At least it's possible to suicide-run this boss, since it's the only boss in Dark Souls where progress doesn't get lost when dying.

And since I was at it already I went for the Four Kings again. Summoned a phantom who had some seriously powerful soul lances and with that help the Four Kings were laughably easy. We even had some time to fool around between respawns, so fast did they die.

Now I'm in front of Gwyn, Lord of Cinder. The last area looks amazing. Only a handful of black knights remain between me and Gwyn. Now I just need to find one or two phantoms and then I hope Gwyn had a hearthy breakfast. Since tonight he will dine in hell

Last edited by Li-Ion; 12-01-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Li-Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 05:14 PM   #101
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Lord Gwyn is dead! He is dining in hell!

Ended the game with SL 74. Now on to NG+...
Old 12-02-2011, 04:41 AM   #102
ckzatwork
16-bit Poster

You've finished it! Congratulations!

I truly, truly hate the three remaining areas: Crystal Cave, Demon Ruins and Tomb of Giants. I think I'll put the game on hold for a while and continue my Yakuza 4 playthrough.

I felt hopeless yesterday on those levels.
Old 12-02-2011, 04:50 AM   #103
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Thank you

Do you have the light spell from Dusk of Ocalille or whatever her name was? Without that the Tomb would have been pretty much impossible for me. In the Crystal Cave I just rushed past all the golems and crab-things once I knew the way to the fog-gate. Hidden Body can help a lot in this respect. Demon's Ruins were tough. Don't leave the house without poison mist or poisoned arrows to get rid of those burrowing acid-spewers.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:07 AM   #104
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I just killed the belltower gargoyle in NG+ and on my way down there was suddenly a big knight with a greatsword that looked red like an invader. He caught me completely off guard. For a second I thought I might have just overlooked an invasion-message, but I wasn't alive at that point (courtesty of an invader just prior to the gargoyles). When I went back to the church again he was still there. Killed him (pretty tough) and as it seems he respawns, standing between the bonfire at Andre and the shortcut to the firelink shrine. What the...?
Old 12-03-2011, 06:16 AM   #105
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Sounds like NG+ may have some surprises in order to provide some variety! I played through to Andre as well, and didn't encounter this guy (I was also hollowed).

I wonder is it the guy on the church altar? Some people in the original playthrough didn't even see him, I believe. Maybe for those people he has returned in NG+?
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote