About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Next-Gen Console Games

Notices

Old 10-25-2011, 03:00 PM   #61
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Re: Dark Souls (previously Project Dark)

Be warned Li-Ion, the GC Staff are starting to make negative noises about the game on the Twitter sidebar!

I'm still liking it a lot - it is absolutely massive though.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 06:25 PM   #62
JLB1987
Sex machine

Man, this game is so difficult, but so rewarding and addictive. I can't even count the number of times I've died so far, which makes each little victory I do achieve even more rewarding. Still not far in... just past the red dragon (not sure of it's official name). Haven't bother trying to kill it, but I shot it's tail so I could get that powerful sword.

Contemplated starting again with a different character class (I'm a wanderer), but I've grown pretty attached to my guy; He might not be the powerhouse of a knight or warrior, and I haven't even dabbled in magic yet so I'm not sure what that will be like, but he seems like a good all-rounder choice, and I'm used to him now.

I can see the armoured warthog not far from my current camp... I'm going to die
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 07:42 PM   #63
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Just finished off Quelaagh (3rd attempt) and the Ceasless Discharge (best boss name ever? 1st attempt, it basically killed itself...) and now head for Sen's Fortress. However, I have the feeling of not doing enough damage anymore. Not sure if it's because my weapon is rubbish or because my stats are too low. Probably both (still only level 31).
Old 10-26-2011, 06:36 PM   #64
ckzatwork
16-bit Poster

Finished Quelaagh with two random buddies in less than 20 seconds or something!

We're practically doing the same stuff Li-Ion. I found the Chaos Servant before entering the Demons Ruins (amazing place!).

Blightown is really easy after you know the place and find the second Bonefire near the swamp. I think I get the terrible frame rate - it's probably to keep the best draw distance so that people can orient themselves and find the entrance to the boss. It's much easier than Demon's Souls 4-1 and 4-1.

I'm finding more player signals lately. Maybe they are finally sorting the servers.
Old 10-26-2011, 07:38 PM   #65
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Hah, at some point we should be finding each others games

My fight against Quelaagh wasn't so smooth. I also had two random buddies with me, but one of them got toasted after 10 seconds or so and Quelaagh went mental, spitting a lava-circe around her. Pretty intense fight but we got her in the end

Blighttown was indeed easier than I thought after hearing so many people moaning about it. However, I took what I think is the back entrance via the valley of drakes. I noticed it must be the back entrance since most monsters were facing away from me as I went along. Gave me some free backstabs

Player signals have been quite mixed so far. Sometimes I wander for ages without seeing any sign of other players, then suddenly there are tons of messages and people to summon.

Today I had a look at the great wolf, helped one time taking it down and now revived so that next time playing I hopefully can take him down myself with the help of some cannon fodder, ehrm, friends . Found 3 cat monsters that were not able to get past some trees, making it easy to pick them apart with spells and arrows. Also, I think I - again - took a rear entrance to the whole area (at the waterfall where the hydra was). I noticed that by enemies - again - having their back turned to me, giving some free backstabs. That bandit I encountered in the woods was pretty tough, the cleric and mage were peanuts compared to him. Also took down the mushroom daddies. They hit like a truck and soak up tons of damage. Fortunately they are slow and stupid. Thanks to poison mist (cloud?) fireorb and some arrows they were no challenge.
Old 10-27-2011, 01:10 AM   #66
ckzatwork
16-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
Hah, at some point we should be finding each others games

My fight against Quelaagh wasn't so smooth. I also had two random buddies with me, but one of them got toasted after 10 seconds or so and Quelaagh went mental, spitting a lava-circe around her. Pretty intense fight but we got her in the end

Blighttown was indeed easier than I thought after hearing so many people moaning about it. However, I took what I think is the back entrance via the valley of drakes. I noticed it must be the back entrance since most monsters were facing away from me as I went along. Gave me some free backstabs

Player signals have been quite mixed so far. Sometimes I wander for ages without seeing any sign of other players, then suddenly there are tons of messages and people to summon.

Today I had a look at the great wolf, helped one time taking it down and now revived so that next time playing I hopefully can take him down myself with the help of some cannon fodder, ehrm, friends . Found 3 cat monsters that were not able to get past some trees, making it easy to pick them apart with spells and arrows. Also, I think I - again - took a rear entrance to the whole area (at the waterfall where the hydra was). I noticed that by enemies - again - having their back turned to me, giving some free backstabs. That bandit I encountered in the woods was pretty tough, the cleric and mage were peanuts compared to him. Also took down the mushroom daddies. They hit like a truck and soak up tons of damage. Fortunately they are slow and stupid. Thanks to poison mist (cloud?) fireorb and some arrows they were no challenge.
So, you're becoming a pyro... I'm considering that. I'm at level 40 now.

You've already killed the Hydra? BUT HOW? That thing vaporizes me instantly!
Old 10-27-2011, 04:13 AM   #67
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckzatwork View Post
So, you're becoming a pyro... I'm considering that. I'm at level 40 now.

You've already killed the Hydra? BUT HOW? That thing vaporizes me instantly!
The best way I found to approach the hydra is on the right where all the trees are, as they disperse the water bolts the hydra shoots relatively effectively (they can still hit you and kill you if you're not careful though) until you come close to the water, where you can hide behind a rock, heal up if necessary and wait for stamina to replenish. Then you can run along the water to the left side, where the waterfall is. Running at the hydra directly got me killed quite some times since there is a lot of deep water just waiting for a wrong step. After the Waterfall is a small piece of land and when you reach that you can make your way to the hydra directly. As soon as you come close enough it will stop casting and try to hit you with in melee instead. Block the attack, aim for the head while they're stunned at the ground. Rinse, repeat until all heads are gone. It took a while in my case because I was rather cautious and only made 1 or 2 hits each time the hydra attacked instead of going all out. I didn't want to end up with 0 stamina next to that thing. Also don't get too close there, since a) there is deep water there as well and b) if you get to close to the body you can't hit the heads anymore which are the only part of the hydra you can damage as far as I can tell. Clear out the crystal guys first, of course. Shield with good magic defense helps, close up a shield with 100% block is more important though.

Regards to pyro I'm still undecided if I should go that route or 'conventional' sorcery. So far I also didn't really find out what makes the damage of pyromancies scale apart from upgrading the flame?
Old 10-27-2011, 04:41 AM   #68
ckzatwork
16-bit Poster

Wow. Thanks for the tips Li. I'll try that when I get home. I bea the Discharge boss. He's a pain and I used the falling exploit. So easy! Should I continue the ruins? How to I get back to the surface without having to run through the entire Blightown?
Old 10-27-2011, 05:46 AM   #69
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I retreated from the ruins after getting my face stomped into the ground by one of the taurus demons there. Since there were 6 more standing around I figured I need some better weapons before I try my luck there. That's why I am attempting deforestation in the forest now. Once the great wolf is done I think I'll head for Sen's Fortress again but for that I need some better ranged damage spells. Pyromancy is just too short range to deal with those snake-casters that apparently wait at every trap with thunderbolt and lightning (very very frightening, Galileo! Galileo!). I tried with poisoned arrows but that didn't help (well, poisoning snakes, should have figured that out myself ) and my regular arrows don't do enough damage.
Old 10-28-2011, 04:49 AM   #70
ckzatwork
16-bit Poster

I beat the Hydra on my first proper try, Li. Those were some great tips. :-)

I also beat that tank of a guy on the staircases that lead to the undead burg.

I don't know where to head next. Sen's Fortress seems really tricky. I think I'll try New Londo Ruins. Does anyone know how to get back to the undead asylum? I know it's on the elevator above Firelink Shrine. But I can't seem to find the entrance.

Last edited by ckzatwork; 10-28-2011 at 05:43 AM. Reason: spelling
ckzatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 01:25 PM   #71
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Always happy to help

Did you also find the golden crystal guy behind the lake with the hydra? He fights like the other crystal guys, just hitting harder, having more hitpoints and it's in water, thus mobility reduced.

I have no idea how to get back to the undead asylum. Maybe if you ask the giant raven nicely?
I thought I'll head for the New Londo Ruins once I'm cursed anyway, since I didn't want to spend souls on the temporary curse thing and already used up the curse-things I found at the ruins. "Unfortunately" I didn't get cursed yet. Maybe I should just save some souls and get some temporary curses. 3 or 4 should be enough I hope?

Yesterday no Dark Souls... I'm getting withdrawal symptoms! Hope I find some time to play later today...
Old 10-29-2011, 06:23 AM   #72
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

On a whim I decided to head for the catacombs again. Went all the way down and finished off the Pinwheel on my second attempt, as well as the titanite demon along the way. I almost had the Pinwheel on the first time already but got too greedy (again) and let it's duplicates get out of hand. Reminded me a bit on the Fool's Idol in Demon's Souls, just more aggressive and with no space to hide from.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:42 AM   #73
Pedro
128-bit Poster

ckzatwork

I'd head into Sen's Fortress - it's a lot of fun, there are some good items, and you can progress the game quite a bit by completing it.

That said, I've had to retreat from the area after that with my tail between my legs as I'm just not strong enough/haven't got enough humanity to summon help. I didn't visit many of the places around Firelink - catacombs, ruins, asylum - so it's back there for me once I find the ring that ups your item discovery rate by 200%.
Old 10-29-2011, 09:57 AM   #74
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

I just beat the Iron Golem (4th attempt), thus 'finishing' Sen's Fortress. I found that the most difficult part is the room right at the beginning with the axes and the lightning casting snakeman waiting. I haven't been at the very bottom where the titanite demon's are however, might venture there at a later stage. Now I'm in Anor Londo and level 40.
Old 10-29-2011, 10:01 AM   #75
Pedro
128-bit Poster

I love the transition to Anor Londo! There are some goddamn annoying enemies up there, I think you'll like the challenge!

That first room is easy if you have a bow. It's about the only time in the game I have found the bow useful (I'm a Hunter char). If you hit him a few times he falls off into the pit and you can proceed with impunity.

That item discovery ring is in there somewhere too if you haven't got it....