About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 06-06-2011, 03:31 PM   #31
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough
Re: What are you playing right now?

surprisingly fun with engaging story and characters! Like!
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 03:28 PM   #32
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB1987 View Post
I'd really like to try out the multi-player side of Terraria, so if anyone decides to try it (only 5.99!), let me know
I'd take you up on it except for my embargo on Steam till I clear out some of my unplayed games. Not buying anything for the next while. Well, apart from Alice in a couple of weeks; looks too good not to play.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 12:05 PM   #33
JLB1987
Sex machine

Playing Frozen Synapse literally as we speak. It's a great multi-player game; I thought the pace would be too slow, but you can have several games on the go at once, and most players seem get their moves sorted pretty quickly. I'm getting pretty good at it now (I think). Gave Li-Ion my spare copy (you get two copies of it for 18.99), so hopefully be able to have a few games with him soon. I'd encourage others from here, who want to try something genuinely different, to have a go as well!

Also, currently on the Broken Steel DLC for Fallout 3. *Yawn*. Yet more linear mission bullshit, although it's not as bad as Zeta or Anchorage.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2011, 02:45 PM   #34
Pedro
64-bit Poster

I still have LA Noire and Witcher 2 outstanding and I can't bring myself to fire them up. Not grabbing me.

However I've been playing a little Borderlands co-op and it's pretty fun, though we've only reached level 7 (one session so far). Looking forward to continuing that. Also Minerva's Den just finished.
Old 06-15-2011, 10:56 AM   #35
Crappymeatplow
New Poster

Rep Power: 0 Crappymeatplow is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah I just completed the final mission on Red Faction Guerilla myself.It was a difficult mission until I realized I was damaging my tank by shooting the rockets too close!!
Crappymeatplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 08:59 AM   #36
JLB1987
Sex machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crappymeatplow View Post
Yeah I just completed the final mission on Red Faction Guerilla myself.It was a difficult mission until I realized I was damaging my tank by shooting the rockets too close!!
You deserve a congressional medal of honour, or something. I havn't even attempted it for a few weeks now, I don't know if I have the skillz (although I *am* on hard mode).
Old 06-16-2011, 09:07 AM   #37
Crappymeatplow
New Poster

Rep Power: 0 Crappymeatplow is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB1987 View Post
You deserve a congressional medal of honour, or something. I havn't even attempted it for a few weeks now, I don't know if I have the skillz (although I *am* on hard mode).
Well I did on normal mode and it was tough then.I can't imagine what it would be like on hard!!
Crappymeatplow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 04:36 PM   #38
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Thanks to JLB1987 I played Frozen Synapse for about 2 hours now (tutorial and begin of the singleplayer campaign). After each mission the game rates me (quite poorly, usually). As I finally managed to beat the third mission I got a 1. Considering that I had a 3-digit rating for the previous mission I think that means catastrophic failure.

Apart from me being atrocious at the game I like the mechanics and idea behind it. Everyone who does not run away screaming as soon as the words 'turn-based' and 'tactics' show up in the same sentence should definitely have a look. Now excuse me, I have to lead my minions to certain death...
Old 06-18-2011, 12:33 PM   #39
JLB1987
Sex machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
Thanks to JLB1987 I played Frozen Synapse for about 2 hours now (tutorial and begin of the singleplayer campaign). After each mission the game rates me (quite poorly, usually). As I finally managed to beat the third mission I got a 1. Considering that I had a 3-digit rating for the previous mission I think that means catastrophic failure.

Apart from me being atrocious at the game I like the mechanics and idea behind it. Everyone who does not run away screaming as soon as the words 'turn-based' and 'tactics' show up in the same sentence should definitely have a look. Now excuse me, I have to lead my minions to certain death...
You're most welcome, glad you're enjoying it. I tend to only be online during the week, so I'll try and start a game with you soon. All the missions so far have either rated me 1 or 100, I'm not sure if it's meant to be some sort of jokey score system, but it's quite irritating- on the first hostage level, no one on my team died, yet I still got a 1. Weird.
Old 06-18-2011, 02:18 PM   #40
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Despite having never played an American Football game before, I've somehow found myself signed up to a Madden online league, so today has been spent spectacularly rage quitting out of Madden 10 .

And I'm talking real floor-pounding, fist-clenching, controller-almost-throwing-but-seeing-sense-and-sliding, chest-tightening, furniture-kicking rage quits.

I finally beat the Raiders 7-6 in my last game, so I'm gonna quit while I'm ahead for the day.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:45 AM   #41
Tapiso
New Poster

I tried Karma Online: POD, Nice world war II fps mmo kinda like medal of Honor but you have Zombies to shoot at as well
Tapiso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:06 AM   #42
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Dirt 3 was included with my new graphics card, so I went right ahead and tried it to see if my new GPU delivers (yes!).

First impressions were those signs of a bad console port. Weird issues when launching the game and no mouse support for the menu. Seriously? The only thing missing was a "please do not turn off your console" while autosaving. Also I hate games that don't allow me to save my singleplayer(!) progress when I'm not signing in to some online network (Games for Windows Live). It didn't help that the GFWL server took what felt like centuries to sign me in. And why the hell do I need GFWL and Steam running in order to play this game? What's next? Do I have to run GFWL, Steam, Origin (EA) and the Bioware client in the background to play Mass Effect 3?

What came next were two annoying sidekicks (off screen) that are way too cheerful and talk to me like I'm some pre-schooler. The chief mechanic says 'awesome' way too much. Luckily it's possible to skip most of their monologue, thus I went ahead and did exactly that.

The handling works pretty well with the 360-pad (I don't own a racing wheel). However: the cars behave a bit odd at times. At times they don't necessarily behave as I assume real cars would behave, but then again: I still have some of the training wheels on. I assume it's getting better when all the gizmos are off.

The lights and sounds are really nice and make me feel like I'm sitting in a car wot goes fast. At least in the cockpit view (my favorite view for racing games anyway). From 3rd person I felt it lacked a bit impact, but that's personal preference I guess. I'm looking forward to the group B cars (my main motivation to play the game - I want to drive a Lancia Delta S4 or Peugeot 205 T16), but I fear they will become unlocked at the very last moment...

edit: hah, my 666th posting

edit 2:

You can put your mad driving skillz on YT if you so desire. However: the video seems to upload 480p at maximum and the graphics displayed are also worse than in the game. On top of it all it takes ages until you get through the queue to upload.

But the worst so far: the notion in game that you can buy access to additional teams and cars in the live store. WTF? Why don't I get a complete game anymore? If I would have paid actual money for Dirt 3 I would be furious right now. Since it was a freebie I'm only slightly furious.

Last edited by Li-Ion; 06-20-2011 at 03:10 PM.
Li-Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:12 PM   #43
frogofdeath
whaler on the moon

Going back to Red Dead Redemption(360) to earn more achievements. Having fun just exploring, finding different flowers, hunting random animals, and finishing up the stranger missions. Finally joined the Social Club too, so will be going back to complete those challenges.

Must say, I flippin' hate cougars. I got attacked by two cougars less than 5 seconds apart. I'm no zoologist, but I don't think cougars are exactly pack hunters.

Still a great game, may even be in my "top 10". If anybody is still playing and interested in any co-op/multiplayer, let me know.
frogofdeath is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:49 AM   #44
JLB1987
Sex machine

Just bought and started Nier, thanks to these very pages. I went in with very low expectations, due to hearing that it has a great story, various quirky elements, and underwhelming gameplay. To me, this description draws comparison to Deadly Premonition, which I hate.

Luckily, there is actually decent, solid gameplay here. Not a fan of only having one button to attack with, but then you also have plenty of options for magic, etc. I don't often play action RPGs so I don't really have a point of reference for the genre, but I really like Nier so far. And, of course, even at this early stage, I love the story and characters. Can't wait to see everything develop. Thanks, GameCritics!!
Old 06-29-2011, 03:18 PM   #45
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

What is it these days with youtube functionality in games? Dirt 3, now Frozen Synapse:

Some of you might recognize my opponent

However, the video quality is not good. Even 720p looks a bit "meh". What's the point of 720p if it looks like 480p?

Last edited by Li-Ion; 06-29-2011 at 03:21 PM.
Li-Ion is offline   Reply With Quote