About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Industry News

Notices

Old 11-11-2010, 08:05 AM   #1
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Question Kinect

Nobody here's going crazy over the Kinect? Anyone got it?

I don't have enough space in my flat to put it (in the Netherlands flats are tiny). To get the 1.8m needed as a minimum I would have to throw my table out of the window. To play it with someone else (that means minimum of 2.5 meters) I would have to throw out my sofa as well, break through the wall behind it and play from my neighbors flat.
Old 11-14-2010, 04:42 PM   #2
Spokker
64-bit Poster

Re: Kinect

Space is definitely an issue, but also screen size. Even if you did manage to clear the space for it, you are out of luck if you have a small television. You will be so far away from the TV that you can't really see what's going on.

Definitely a device for big screens and big houses. It's a suburban toy.
Spokker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:08 PM   #3
Vince

Send a message via MSN to Vince Send a message via Yahoo to Vince

I have it, and its works well enough. Kinect Adventures gets you moving, and will make you sore the next day, unless you are used to running an obstacle course. Dance Central is what you think it is. I don't care for the music, but its a neat program that will help you get your groove on. My favorite tracks are those from the 80s...
Old 11-16-2010, 05:14 PM   #4
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy

I'm getting a Wii 2.0 vibe from it. When random non-gamers at work are talking about getting one, I'm pretty sure MS has struck some kind of chord.

I'm betting it'll follow the same arc as the Wii too.
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 12:18 PM   #5
crackajack
64-bit Poster

anyone else wondering why Kinect is written in the end of this Deus Ex Trailer
http://www.gametrailers.com/video/pe...deus-ex/707555
(and Move not)

TrackIR 5 like support for shooters would be a fine usage in "hardcore" games. (added to pad standard gameplay) Then it suddenly will be almost cheap, at least compared to the price of that device.

To answer the initial question: no, not with the current games were only Dance central seems to be fun.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 10:45 AM   #6
conkiUltra
New Poster

I don't have Kinect for the same reason I don't have a Wii: i'm not a housewife, I don't have kids, I never had a hometrainer and I play games when I'm too tired or lazy to move more than a couple of fingers. I don't want to fail my game because I can't stop shoveling doritos into my face.

Most of the games seems to be geared towards playing with the family or at a party anyways. I'm probably either too old or too young for that.
conkiUltra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 02:13 AM   #7
Spokker
64-bit Poster

My girlfriend got one today. Space is in fact an issue if you want to play two-player, but she got it for Dance Central and Your Shape Fitness which is really just single player. Works fine without much of a fuss.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:34 PM   #8
Gene Park
Critic Emeritus

I played it at a friend's house with five women who don't game. They were all hesitant in trying it out, but after my first embarrassing turn at "Dance Central," I couldn't tear them away from it.

They remarked that it's way cooler and more fun than the Wii. One of them even got an Xbox 360 AND a Kinect a few days later.

It reminds me of when I first got my Wii: It got hot women playing video games, and loving it.

I only really cared for "Dance Central" myself. Kinect Adventures had some fun games, but it was hit and miss. Kinect Sports wasn't even as fun as Wii Sports.

Just for the novelty and party factor, I'll definitely be getting one myself, but either after it drops in price, or if "Child of Eden" and "Project Draco" kick ass.

Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Facebook
Twitter
Gene Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:26 AM   #9
Spokker
64-bit Poster

Kinectimals is actually pretty cool. I thought the game was going to be pretty shallow at first, throwing balls at your cat and fake petting them and other basic things. But you end up kicking a soccer ball back and forth and at bubbles that pop up. The motion controls are intuitive enough to where if I kicked in a certain direction and strength, it seemed to do what I expected it to do.

You also drive a car around which makes the awful Joyride redundant.

There are things to unlock and some kind of kid-friendly story, but hey, it's there. The tricks are more complex than I thought they would be and the cat responds 9 times out of 10. Pat your knees and the goddamn thing sits down. Pat the floor and he lays down. Then spin around and he spins around on the floor like Curly from The Three Stooges. You can also yell at him and he'll do these things.

Then you do a Simon-like mini-game where they call out the tricks you to memorize and then you carry out the routine.

And then you teach your cat how to hunt by grabbing a rabbit and then shaking your head as if you are tearing its neck apart. Then you can watch your cat end the miserable rabbit's life by biting its spinal cord. Fun stuff.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:57 PM   #10
Nicster
New Poster

I Just bought an Xbox/Kinect bundle and I'm having difficulty finding some quality games. For fitness stuff it's great but it seems such a waste of technology you know what I mean? Imagine Assassins Creed for Kinect or some Starwars game where you actually get to use your hand movements to "harness the force"... now that would be cool.
Nicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 06:06 AM   #11
Spokker
64-bit Poster

I wonder what Kinect's second act is.

For the poster above, the good games were Kinectimals and Dance Central, in my opinion. Kinect Adventures was good, but it came with the damn thing, and it wouldn't survive as a standalone title.

For the fitness-minded, YourShape Fitness was my preferred title. Fun, but I'm a lazy ass.

Part 2 is coming up, and it will make or break Kinect. More mature titles should broaden its appeal, but I fear the good old analog controller is still the best way to play games. Kinect still has much to prove.
Old 03-02-2011, 01:11 PM   #12
Bornie
New Poster

My wife gave me a kinect this christmas as a present, and it works well enough, but as you have said, you must have a big space to play properly, and even more if you are planning to play with friends (and this is a must, if you want to get a good experience with this device).

And relating to the games, at this point I don't know what to say... Obviously it is perfect to share good moments with family and friends, but to be honest I must admit that casual games for the wii have given me much better experiences. The short game list available for the kinect during these months could explain this, so we must keep hope and wait to future releases, that will take more profit of kinect possibilities.

Oh! A last complain... I don't know if more than 2 players will be able to play at the same time with the kinect (can you imagine the size of a room to allow this?), and that's something that can be very important when you talk about social gaming.
Bornie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 05:20 AM   #13
trend42
New Poster

I have just bought a Kinect for my 12 year old daughter, but she still prefers the wii.
trend42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:37 PM   #14
Bornie
New Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by trend42 View Post
I have just bought a Kinect for my 12 year old daughter, but she still prefers the wii.
I had the wii, and I understand your daughter's opinion. Anyway, I think that MS deserves still a chance. If in the next few months we don't see really good games for the kinect system, then we will have strong reasons to say that kinect has been just a MS marketing trick. Time will say.
Bornie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 02:39 PM   #15
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

It has become a bit quite around the kinect. Where are the games and new experiences that were promised for it?