About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Next-Gen Console Games

Notices

Old 03-11-2011, 06:24 PM   #16
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough
Re: Human Revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehmaster View Post
We can't say a game is good by comparing it to awful games. As a stand alone game, DX2 was horrible.

Not to mention like it was filled with bugs and glitches that were never patched.
I disagree. I never understood the bile toward it, except people wanted a better sequel. I played it recently, and the graphics are pretty dated, but I still think it's a well done adventure game with sandbox combat.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 05:44 AM   #17
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gog View Post
(disgusting color palette, ugly characters).
Funny, I thought the same about Nier
Old 03-12-2011, 04:09 PM   #18
Gog
New Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
Funny, I thought the same about Nier
Ouch!

I'm just saying the black and gold color palette of Deus Ex 3 might get old after a while... Also, the characters look like dead fish when they talk. At least, that's the impression I get from the trailer I've seen.

I agree Nier's color palette is washed-out and all over the place... but I still like it. It fits the game, strangely. As for the characters... ugly but lovable.

Last edited by Gog; 03-12-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Gog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2011, 07:03 PM   #19
coyls3
32-bit Poster

I don't play many PC games so I never played Deus Ex 1 or 2, but I've watched every live Human Revolution demo YouTube has to offer. So far it's looking like a winner in my book. Seems to be a mesh of Mass Effect, Batman, and Metal Gear.
coyls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2011, 07:09 AM   #20
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gog View Post
I'm just saying the black and gold color palette of Deus Ex 3 might get old after a while... Also, the characters look like dead fish when they talk.
I love what I've seen from the trailers so far. I like the idea of the characters being ugly little imperfections in the overwhelming gold and black cities. Also most of the characters seen in the trailer are augmented. They are arguably more machines than humans, thus it's ok if they look and speak like dead fish.

The color palette might get old after a while, but that's true in every game. The clean and cold aesthetic of Vanquish didn't get old for me. The muddy gunmetal-grey color palette of Gears of War, Killzone 2 and pretty much every second shooter out there did.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:06 PM   #21
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Review are in!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock, Paper, Shotgun
The most interesting parts can’t be discussed here, because they’re yours to discover. And really, discover them you should. Despite its obvious visual console shackles, this is a game that remembers what PC games were once all about, and honours them. It’s a refreshing reminder of what games can be in the current swamp of six-hour follow-em-up shooters, and stands shoulders, chest and waist above. When games get close to the glory of Looking Glass, our expectations can rise extremely high. That Deus Ex: Human Revolution meets so many of them is a remarkable feat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edge Magazine
From its sluggish, restrictive start, Human Revolution opens into a world of scintillating possibility in which your actions’ significance reaches far into the future. And with something like that difficult future approaching fast, Human Revolution achieves a rare accolade: it’s not just a great game, but a timely one. [9]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eurogamer
Deus Ex: Human Revolution is probably not as perfect as I'm making it sound. Some of the rules about what's interactive and not seem quite arbitrary, which is a pretty blatant failing in a game which tries so hard to make you feel like you're not being restricted, [...]

But the important point is that Deus Ex: Human Revolution is one of those rare games that knows you can't be perfect all the time, and that you have the right to change your mind about your actions later. It just wants to be played with and enjoyed - and when you finish, you just want to play with it again. [9]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Destructoid
While there are some elements that don't feel quite as developed as they should have been, and augmentation is more Hobson's choice than true choice, Human Revolution provides a level of quality that only the most adamant cynic could fail to be impressed by. More importantly, it is everything a fan of Deus Ex could want in a game, and it effortlessly embraces the arduous task of living up to the legacy, standing next to its 2000 predecessor and holding its head up in pride.

This game is truly deserving of the name Deus Ex. In fact, there's no other name it could have had.[9.5/10]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ign
While Deus Ex: Human Revolution can't be the revelation that Deus Ex was in 2000, it's an achievement nonetheless. It's a visionary, considered piece of work, and while my thoughts drift to the things that could have been and the compromises made due to the possibilities of video games in 2011, they're just as quick to consider playing through it again. Human Revolution is a smart, rewarding piece of transhumanist noir that does justice not just to Deus Ex, but to the fiction that inspired it. [9]
Well, I already pre-loaded it anyway, would be too late for me to return it

Last edited by Li-Ion; 08-22-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Li-Ion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 05:21 PM   #22
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Getting my copy tomorrow. Can't wait!
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:45 AM   #23
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

According to steam I'm now 14 hours in. Here some impressions:

I love it! I have played the first Deus Ex but never finished it. Partly because at the time it came out I didn't know what to make of it. The mechanics felt stiff and some things just didnīt make sense to my younger me. It's safe to say I read more about how great Deus Ex is rather than having it played myself. If you are adamant Deus Ex 1 is Jesus reborn and nothing will ever reach it I have to offend you: I enjoy Human Revolution a whole lot more than I ever enjoyed Deus Ex.

The stealth mechanics of DXHR are just so good. It bases on line of sight and sound. It feels natural and the thrill of sneaking past a squad of heavily armed guards without being spotted is incredible. The gunplay is good as well, with guns being loud and brutal, but nowhere near as remarkable as the sneaking.

So far I've been in two hub cities, both larger in scope than what I remember from the first Deus Ex. Side missions are scattered around and they are proper missions with clear, tangible goals. No feather collecting (I look at you Assassins Creed) or other video-gamey-fetchquests anywhere. If they would have just taken the side-missions and called it Police Quest: Adam Jensen, it would already be a good game.

Apart from the game being not on par with e.g. Crysis 2 or Uncharted 2 in terms of graphical fidelity I have only one criticism, about which to tell I have to get to SPOILER territory. Highlight the text below if you don't care about spoilers or played at least 6 to 10 hours into the game.

Last Warning!

My main criticism is the boss fights. Or rather, the first boss fight, I only encountered one so far, 14 hours in. It's debatable if a game fairly grounded in reality should have a video-gamey-bossfight anyway. But I don't fault it for having something like a boss, I fault it for the way the encounter is handled. Until the first Boss, a son of a toaster called Barett, it is open to the player how to tackle any given problem. There is always at least a second way to solve a problem. Stealth or violence. Social or stealth or violence. Hacking or violence. Barett removes all but one: violence.

I was lucky to have at least some basic combat augmentations (invested some points in dermal armor), otherwise this would have been even more of a nightmare. The fight feels like the boss was flown in from a different game.

I have to admit however, that the Barett was an interesting change of focus. Until meeting him I was the predator. I was sneaking in the shadows, knocking out guards, leaving them running around in panic. Suddenly I was prey. Barett is a bigger fish in the pond. He can see through walls like I could, he has more armor, more weapons, more everything. Suddenly I felt like many humans must feel in the world of Deus Ex: obsolete. Scared of what augments can make out of someone who might want to kill me. That in a time when being human might just not be enough.

Last edited by Li-Ion; 08-28-2011 at 10:47 AM.
Li-Ion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:35 PM   #24
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

This past weekend I had one goal: play Deus Ex. It is rare that there is a game released that I would put all other matters on hold for.

I am really enjoying it too. It is definitely the type of game you would like to play more than once to get another outcome.

I am about 15 hours in.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 01:32 PM   #25
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Finished it the second time now. First playthrough (on normal difficulty) was with lot of hacking. For my second playthrough (on Deus Ex) I ignored hacking pretty much and went for stuff like punching through walls, lifting heavy things and jumping very high. I noticed that hacking is not necessary to complete the game. Not at all. The handful of cases I really had to hack were lvl 1 locks. For pretty much everything else I could find the access codes or passwords lying around or ignored it. If I stood in front of a lock I couldn't hack, there was for sure some hidden air duct that allows slipping past. Towards the end I still put some points in hacking, since I didn't have anything else to put it into anymore

After playing it both as Sam Fisher and Robocop, I am impressed by how different the playthroughs were. Some people lived and died differently. I found some side-missions I overlooked the first time and the bosses were laughably easy once I found the rocket launcher

Thinking of playing a third time, this time without killing anyone...
Old 09-12-2011, 09:32 PM   #26
Kin Korn Karn

I think you guys may be talking me into this game. It was totally off my radar until reading the kudos you guys are giving it here on GC. Usually these types of "conversions" go over well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
the bosses were laughably easy once I found the rocket launcher
Like RE4!!!
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote