About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Movies & Television

Notices

Old 01-29-2011, 01:54 PM   #91
JLB1987
Sex machine

Re: Last movie impressions

I've intended on checking out Aeon Flux for a while, but have no past experiance with any of it, and very little experiance in the way of Japanese anime (only stuff I own is the Ichi The Killer anime film and Akira). Would you recommend it? It sounds interesting, but I have a feeling it's hard to get into.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2011, 09:50 PM   #92
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

Aeon Flux is a existential sci-fi necessity. Black comedy Kafka-esque romance between a serial terrorist and her target.
Absolutely recommend. The best show of it's type ever made.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2011, 02:03 AM   #93
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Ĉon Flux is really good and quite... different. The 2005 movie with Charlize Theron falls flat. I saw the movie first and almost didn't watch the animated series because of that. Would have been a big mistake.
Old 01-30-2011, 09:48 AM   #94
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough
Red face Re: Last movie impressions

I think they did the best they could with the film (Peter Chung was involved). The series is so anti-narrative I don't think it would work as a commercial picture, which is what they (MTV) aimed to do.

What I DID like in the film was the organic technology and the wonderfully stark industrial locations they chose. The look was RIGHT. And the storyline, awkward and recycled as it was, could technically fit within the 'rules' of the show.

Just barely.

However - I do agree with you, watching that film would hardly inspire me to watch the show, had I not seen it first!
Old 01-31-2011, 06:18 AM   #95
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Cadillac Man
It was often on the drama side but as it wants to be a parody of hostage movies, it had to be sort of serious sometimes. The horrifying beginning of the hostage situation was too much, but except that it was funny.

How to Lose Friends & Alienate People
Some Mr Bean clownishness, great, and some amusing insights to celebrity glamor, egos and media world.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 06:46 AM   #96
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Morning Glory
A romcom, minus the rom-part too large extend. Has some laughs but despite some starpower included (Harrison Ford, Diane Keaton, Rachel McAdams, Jeff Goldblum) it never really tries to get out of the romcom-comfort zone. Which is ironic, considering it's a movie about reaching for something more.

Green Hornet
Worst movie ever of 2011, also beats everything in 2010 in terms of being bad. Do not watch. Uninspired, unfunny, bland action... and why are we supposed to watch this borefest in 3D? 3D doesn't add anything, its hardly ever noticeable at all. Worst use of 3D since the atrocious Clash of the Titans.
Old 02-01-2011, 05:18 PM   #97
Nicster
New Poster

Saw True Grit on the weekend. Poetry in motion. The Coen Bros are totally saving cinema.
Nicster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 12:15 AM   #98
RandomRob

Thumbs up Re: Last movie impressions

imo, flat out excellent social commentary sci-fi thriller.
Robot artifice as a metaphor for artifice of wired culture.
If you found Avatar repellent, this film is for you.
Highly recommend.
Old 02-05-2011, 02:29 AM   #99
QXZ
They hit me with a truck

Send a message via AIM to QXZ Send a message via Yahoo to QXZ

Just came back from Sanctum. Supposedly, this yarn about a troupe of spelunkers set in Papua New Guinea is based on a true story. I doubt it, since it feels like just about every other disaster movie you've seen.

It starts out with a group of ten spelunkers exploring a deep chasm located in Papua New Guinea; everyone is looking for a path that leads from this cave to the Pacific Ocean. A major cyclone eventually hits; half of them make it out before the other half are sealed up after a giant boulder seals off their immediate exit.

I will say that Sanctum has some nice underwater photography that looks nice in 3D, but that's the only bit I liked. The film squarely focuses on the trapped cave explorers, and the story is actually rather predictable; the character who is often in the most mortal of danger is usually the one to die next.

I think Sanctum is a B- for those who just drool over underwater photography, but for everyone else, it's a C-.

"I reject your reality, and substitute my own!"
-- Adam Savage of
Mythbusters

http://fp.profiles.us.playstation.co.../GreenPuyo.png
QXZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 08:38 AM   #100
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Ensemble, c'est tout
The story itself was nothing particularly good, but i liked the characters with their faults.

Crónica de una fuga (Buenos Aires, 1977 // The chronicle of an escape)
Hooray for the "truth" we get by torture...

The House Bunny
Anna Faris is great, the movie not so much. Imo she should become something like the new Goldie Hawn.

Cake (2005)
Ok

Wedding Crashers
much better
Old 02-10-2011, 08:47 AM   #101
RandomRob

Apocalypse Now! BluRay

Satisfying upgrade from the DVD. Colors are lush, some occasionally strong detail bumps.

Still strong spectacle. The film has aged well. I think perhaps it's mix of metaphor and the surreal speak more to today's generation than it did to mine.

Old 02-10-2011, 04:41 PM   #102
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Black Swan
mind = blown
Old 02-15-2011, 06:01 AM   #103
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Hindenburg 1&2
It tried really hard to be something like the Cameron Titanic. But that was the problem for me. Instead of just telling the last journey of the Hindenburg and some side stories or a single focused one as Titanic did, it had to add so much detail the main event that only lasts some minutes almost felt irrelevant.
Not even as good as the other Titanic from 1996...
Cut the film to a 90 minute event without the conspiracy thing without the Jew/Nazi encounter, without the strange entertainer, without the skirmish for captain on the ship, without the overemphasized music, with a more documentary feel would have been much better.

Saibogujiman kwenchana (I'm a Cyborg, But That's OK)
I'm not sure if i got the big point of the whole thing, style felt better than the substance, but interesting experience nevertheless as i like those love stories with faulty, and thus human characters.

The Day the Earth Stood Still
It should have been a great movie, but except the effects everything could not match the idea.
An annoying child, military stubbornness, the elite talking too few lines, the Aliens being sort of unprepared...
Aliens showing us the red card should be much better than this. Disappointing.
Old 02-15-2011, 06:18 AM   #104
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Tron: Legacy
I had to watch it in 3D. Not because I like 3D a lot, but because no cinema within 2 hours drive would play it in 2D. So I paid the 2,50 € extra for those stupid glasses, just to see a disclaimer at the beginning of the movie: the 3D 'presentation' includes 2D scenes that were shot in 2D and meant to be watched that way. So I paid 2,50 € extra for a 3D movie which isn't even 3D all the way? So I paid 2,50 € extra to watch half of the movie in 2D with a darker picture. Great.

The movie itself was interesting in terms of visuals. I like the neon-style and the music by Daft Punk is also pretty neat. Unfortunately it's all style, no substance. The story didn't make sense in the original Tron all those years ago and time didn't sweeten it. I don't know why the original Tron got such a fan following but apparently it did. The movie is entirely dedicated to this elite group of the audience with occasional nods to geek culture and other movies of the era (like War Games). If you like Daft Punk and the way the trailer looks you can go for the audiovisual package. If you're Tron-fan you already watched the movie anyway. Everyone else should find better movies to watch now.
Old 02-15-2011, 08:45 AM   #105
RandomRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
Tron: LegacyI don't know why the original Tron got such a fan following but apparently it did. The movie is entirely dedicated to this elite group of the audience with occasional nods to geek culture and other movies of the era (like War Games).
It got a fan following because no one had ever seen fully rendered animated CGI on a big screen before, and the story had a naive charm. The b&w characters against the colorful CGI gave the film a sortof SIELNT ERA CINEMA VS TODAY look that still has a certain iconic power.

That being said, I disagree with you that Tron:Legacy catered to anyone who was a fan of the original film. I thought TL was a thrown together pile of shit that grew out of teen focus group responses to an effects concept video. I walked out of the theater I was so put off by it, and I LIKE some bad science fiction now and again.

Last edited by RandomRob; 02-15-2011 at 08:48 AM.