About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > GameCritics.com Discussion > Community User Submissions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 10:06 PM   #16
coyls3
32-bit Poster

Re: Please Rate This Review: Final Fantasy XIII second opinion

Quote:
Originally Posted by etherangel View Post
Coyls, I think you make some good points about the game's shortcomings. The beginning the game was extremely linear to a point that damaged the gameplay experience, and I actually think the battle system was a bit weak. However, I do think some of your criticisms are unwarranted. I don't remember any "J-Pop" songs in the game; yes, some of them have a vocalist or latin choir, by nothing abhorrently pop-like.

Also, I thought the characters were actually quite good. Snow's obsession with being the hero was annoying, but I felt that the characters were realistic in a lot of ways. I won't explain all of them, but Vanille seems to be the biggest target of, well, everyone for her personality and voice. I think the way she acts (bubbly, overly-optimistic) if you understand it as a coping mechanism deal with all the guilt she has for transforming Sazh's son into a l'cie. It's just a facade to not deal with the consequences of her actions. Part her facade crumbles when she finally confesses to Sazh what she did to his son, and all she can do is wish for death over the guilt. Of course, she's not all fake, and part of her personality is being that happy-go-lucky person, but she uses that to some extent mask pain and deflect negative emotions. She's by no means "character of the year," but I think too many people discount her just because of her voice.

Despite my disagreement with your points, I liked your review from a technical writing standpoint, and can appreciate your point-of-view. I really do think the game picks up near the end, and would encourage you to complete the game if just for the ending, which I personally found to be the highlight of the game.

3 stars!

Cheers!
Leona Lewis isn't pop?

I get your point and took out the J-pop, but we'll just have to agree to disagree about the characters.

The point I was trying to make is that music has always been a big part of Final Fantasy (for me anyway). In previous games they used music that was composed in house and made specific songs for each event that happened in the game. The music was beautiful and they did a good job at using it to add extra emotion to key moments in the story. You can take any Final Fantasy die hard and play a song like "Aerith's theme" or "To Zanarkand" and it will take them back to a treasured gaming moment.

This isn't the case with any of the music found in FFXIII.
Old 12-12-2010, 04:41 AM   #17
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Good work, Coyls!

It needs a little tweaking here and there, but I think this piece is basically ready to roll.

Green light from me.
Old 12-19-2010, 05:41 AM   #18
Dale Weir
Site God

Submission (finally) posted.
http://www.gamecritics.com/guest-cri...second-opinion
Closed Thread