About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Off-Topic Discussion > Movies & Television

Notices

Old 10-06-2010, 06:34 AM   #16
JLB1987
Sex machine

Re: Last movie impressions

Crackerjack; I completely agree on those extra few minutes in The Dark Knight. I wasn't too bothered about Rachel in all honesty, I thought of her as a filler character at first, and to me she surpassed that initial impression, at least. But slightly more time focused on Two-Face would have been time well spent.

RandomRob, I now intend on watching that. I'm a bit of a Will Smith fan, he's a great, versatile actor, so that sounds it's worth checking out next time I'm looking for cheap DVDs on Amazon.

Anyway, my turn again...

No Country For Old Men
I'm glad I didn't set my expectations on this film as a pure action movie; being based on a book and being two hours in length told me that there was something more to it, and I was right. This is a story about a man who takes some money who isn't his, and is then pursued by several people; one of those a sociopathic hitman. All the actors are great, especially Josh Brolin as the man on the run, and double especially Javier Bardem as the hitman. I loved it, expecially as it certainly didn't waver to the usual "happy ending" you find in far too many films these days. In fact, the ending was a bit of a shock, not what I expected, and for that reason alone I happily recommend this.
Highlight: Woody Harrelson turning up out of the blue as another of the men who is looking for Lewellyn.

Max Payne
It's bad enough the creators of this film insulted the viewer by making this dire piece of shit. I won't insult anyone by going into the "plot". I always found the story in the videogames to be interesting, solid, and pretty damned awesome. Maybe the way it was told in the games had something to do with this, but there is no doubt that the makers of the film had a wealth of stuff they could have made a halfway decent story from. They didn't. A complete waste of an opportunity. One of the worst films I've seen, ever.
Highlight: At least they chose a great lead actor in Wahlburg. He's a terrible actor in my view, but he can just about pull off the two facial expressions Max had in the game. Perfect casting.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 09:05 AM   #17
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

Since you gentlemen are talking Dark Knight, I think I'd mention that I took some issues with the film, until I realized that it's a Faustian tragedy about the fall of Harvey Dent. Batman represents order in the film, the Joker represents chaos. In this way I think it works well- and I wish more time had been devoted to Harvey, also. But I thought every scene 'worked'. It's wonderfully put together.

as opposed to

Iron Man 2 - omg what a pile of mess. Too many supporting characters pull the story threads all over the place. Sam Rockwell playing a one dimensional slimeball corporate type is a clue, stinking drunk Mickey Rourke (he's supposed to be russian- help) is another. Nothing gels, and the action scenes that should be highs end up being truncated weak spots. The highest point of the story is the revelation that Tony Stark's greatest invention isn't really his at all. Got that? The biggest plot point of 2 is that they pull the rug out from under the first film's best sequence.

Avoid.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 05:15 PM   #18
JLB1987
Sex machine

I definately preferred Dark Knight to Begins, and I don't say that lightly... Both are such long films, and yet, they do what every great film should do; make you want more. The one thing I have a problem with in No Country For Old Men, that I forgot to mention, was that it's a long film... and it feels like it, too. Just missed out on true excellence because it was harder to immerse myself in it.

I normally avoid superhero films anyway, and I'm not an Iron Man fan as it is. The only reason I would have watched the second one was for the AC/DC soundtrack, and the fact that War Machine is in it (WM DOES kick ass!)

Oh yea, talking of awful films; Transformers 2. I really need to stop letting the lady pick the films we watch.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:32 PM   #19
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

a Benny & Joon style romantic comedy set in an insane asylum. Quirky, strange, and very cute. Recommended. A note to HD enthusiasts.. this is the sharpest, popping-est hi-def image I've seen on my 1080p lcd set. Not even sure if film was used, almost looks like digital video.

This film is not available in the US but can be ordered from the UK through Amazon, etc. The disc is region free.
Old 10-07-2010, 03:44 AM   #20
JLB1987
Sex machine

Looks like that's by the guy who did Oldboy, one of my all time favorites. Might have to check it out.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:00 AM   #21
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomRob View Post
Batman represents order in the film, the Joker represents chaos.
Batman... order?
Isn't Dent order, shining righteous perfection, Wayne's chance to get rid off this Dark Knight figure, who is always standing only one step away to cross his own directives.

The main "error" in Begins was this rather unknown character of Ra's al Ghul that was a risk in marketing, but the lack of a strong, more known opponent let the character of the new Batman room to define him, but here the only lady in the movie is almost disposed in hustle and bustle action and Joker madness. She was more important than Joker actually was for the development of both characters. Especially when Begins is also concerned. Rachel already then stopped Bruce from crossing the line. The fall of Dent is exactly the same story as Bruce's in Begins. She was the pivotal point for both movies and Nolan focused more on other things. So i can't like this more than Begins although everything except this detail was better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomRob View Post
i'm a cyborg
But That’s OK is missing in the UK?
Never understood different titling in different countries.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:23 AM   #22
RandomRob

Dent has potential, but becomes flawed, he's not the symbol that Batman is... he remains personally motivated by vengeance. Batman conquers his demons, for the most part.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:53 PM   #23
JLB1987
Sex machine

I agree with RandomRob on this... Batman, he is incorruptable, unlike, as Rob has already said, Dent.
Old 10-08-2010, 03:14 AM   #24
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB1987 View Post
I agree with RandomRob on this... Batman, he is incorruptable, unlike, as Rob has already said, Dent.
Yeah, and i'm asking: why is it so.
Bruce also wanted to shoot the murderer... he only missed the chance but later on he evolves. Bruce/Batman wants to continue the job his parents started and Rachel, as the real legally! working order!, is his guiding moral anchor?

The second movie lacks some satisfying explanations for Dent Batman got in the first one.

Dent seems to be nothing more than a masculine version of Rachel, just with a winner-smile and public attention? And he is totally lost as soon as he looses Rachel. OK, he loves her and wants to marry her. Greatly told in some seconds of the movie. But beside just telling the fundamentals it should have shown it more, what connected them so strong? Why is he so easily falling apart accepting the logic of chaos. His exact character and the influence of Rachel's in his split up is missing in my opinion.

Jokers different stories of him becoming him fits to his character, Ras was a "innovative" cleaner, Scarecrow seems similar to Joker, just loving playing with madness, but Dent was a nice guy? And then?

Imo he is too roughly characterized because Rachel was forgotten.
Old 10-08-2010, 06:34 AM   #25
JLB1987
Sex machine

Good point. But I think that, as much of a cop-out as this view probably sounds, that Batman is the symbol of incorruptability (is that a word!?), rather than Bruce Wayne himself. As Bruce says in Begins, he needed a symbol to represent a solid, incorrupt ideal; it wasn't enough to fight every indivdual crime, he needed to get a message across that everyone could understand. All humans are flawed, as all humans are driven by base instincts, as Wayne demonstrates when he goes to shoot Joe Chill.

I would be inclined to say I half agree with you on Dent; I think that as far as the portrayal of law goes by an actual character in the film, Dent is just as idealistic as Bruce; perhaps even more so, as he is the one working within the law. But overall, I still think that Batman represents the pure embodiment of law.

Interesting point on saying that Dent is Wayne's chance on getting rid of the Dark Knight persona, though... I completely forgot about that. I need to watch them both again!

On a related note, I would recommend the Batman: Gotham Knight dvd that connects Batman Begins and Dark Knight. It is an animated film, with each segment done by different people, so each part has its own feel. In all honesty, the only reason I know that it all takes place between the two live action films is because it says so on the box, and it certainly wouldn't add anything to our discussion, but as a series of short tales on this version of Bruce Wayne/ Batman, it's excellent.
Old 10-08-2010, 09:26 AM   #26
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLB1987 View Post
I would be inclined to say I half agree with you on Dent; I think that as far as the portrayal of law goes by an actual character in the film, Dent is just as idealistic as Bruce; perhaps even more so, as he is the one working within the law. But overall, I still think that Batman represents the pure embodiment of law.
I would say Dent represents the law, while Batman is representing justice. Batman doesn't care about the law and pretty much ignores it running around during the night, dressed up as tiny nocturnal mammal. He only cares about what is 'just' and 'right' (for his standards, the Joker might disagree with him on that one).
Li-Ion is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:17 PM   #27
JLB1987
Sex machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
I would say Dent represents the law, while Batman is representing justice. Batman doesn't care about the law and pretty much ignores it running around during the night, dressed up as tiny nocturnal mammal. He only cares about what is 'just' and 'right' (for his standards, the Joker might disagree with him on that one).
Actually, seeing as you put it like that, I think you're probably right... I'm converted!

I did take into account that Batman, obviously, works outside the law. But, thinking about it, the symbol the Bruce Wayne is putting across to the citizens of Gotham City isn't one of an idealistic, absolute force of law; it's one of idealistic, absolute justice, I guess.

I don't know... I've always been more of a fan of The Punisher. His message is a little more straight forward
Old 10-08-2010, 08:38 PM   #28
RandomRob

I was always partial to Daredevil.. but, umm- oof. Anyway.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:25 AM   #29
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Little Woman
A fine ode to family and emancipation, but the ending was a little implausible fast.
"Guess what, i married your sister because you refused my proposal"
"Whoa... err... awesome. I have my own Mr. Right at hand. He just has to appear here."
Jane Austen's Sense & Pride is better imo.

Accepted
Enjoyable nonsense about a group of students making up their own college, S.H.I.T. (South Harmon Institute of Technology), because they got rejected at all real colleges, to deceive their parents.
Could have been far better, a missed chance like Idiocracy.

John Tucker Must Die
Revenge story of some girls who were all the only girlfriend of the school's prince charming.
Nothing really new but had one or two good jokes.

Manhattan Love Story
A harmless movie, nothing special. It should have resolved after she gets fired to get some momentum.

The X Files: I Want to Believe
As a thriller ok, but all the X-Files subjects and characters seemed to be useless for the actual story. Would have been a decent special within the series but not as a cinema movie, especially after many details that happened can't be granted anymore to be known by all viewers.
WTF: They find an ice clump with body parts of different people in it and Mulder is happily excited because now they stand before a breakthrough to find a serial killer instead of just a missing agent.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:39 AM   #30
RandomRob

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackajack View Post
Little WomanThe X Files: I Want to Believe
As a thriller ok, but all the X-Files subjects and characters seemed to be useless for the actual story. Would have been a decent special within the series but not as a cinema movie, especially after many details that happened can't be granted anymore to be known by all viewers.
WTF: They find an ice clump with body parts of different people in it and Mulder is happily excited because now they stand before a breakthrough to find a serial killer instead of just a missing agent.
I had so many problems with this film I almost threw the disc out the window. I definitely couldn't figure out why West Virginia looked like Siberia.

The whole thing felt like a big "f*ck you/we're sick of this sh*t" to fans of the show.