About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > GameCritics.com Discussion > Community User Submissions

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-17-2010, 06:37 PM   #1
brandonbales
New Poster

Please Rate this Review: Lego Harry Potter: Years 1 - 4

Casualis Perfectum!

High: The two worlds here mesh wonderfully.

Low: The spell-targeting can drive you batty.

WTF: “And the Lord said ‘Collect-a-thons shall not get thee to Heaven.’”

Chances are you come to Lego Harry Potter for one thing: you love Lego-brand building bricks! …Wait, you love the Harry Potter series of novels and films - yeah! No, no: you love videogames! That’s…. Wait, you…. You love all three! (Pant, pant.) Well, no matter your varying levels of love for any parts of the above, there’s a good chance that you’re likely to pass a contented hour or ten with Lego Harry Potter: Years 1 - 4.

Returning to their gold-lined, plastic-studded well once more, developer Traveler’s Tales has brought to our screens another iteration of their popular Lego-themed videogames. Here, they’ve turned out probably the most free-wheeling version yet, though it doesn’t stray too far from the established formula.

Players once again set off for adventure across a shiny plastic world controlling the avatars of one of our beloved pop-cultural icons. The focus of the action is aimed at a younger audience with emphasis on casual gameplay mechanics that aren’t too taxing, but it of course comes replete with additional challenges and collectibles to keep a hold of older or more experienced gamers. The formula has always been wonderfully charming, as seen in their original Star Wars-themed games, and the same is absolutely true here. The Harry Potter franchise turns out to be a perfect fit for the style of these Lego games, as “magic” serves as an excellent vehicle for making piles of bricks fly through the air and assemble themselves into wacky shapes. The loopy tone of the books, too, syncs up with the Lego games’ reliance on silly re-imaginings of their beloved stories.

Gameplay is largely similar to the other Lego games in the canon: break blocks, build shapes, and collect various doodads to unlock bonus levels. There’s also a bajillion unlockable characters, of course, all with their own special powers and spells. Controls work just fine, though aiming spells can present the odd headache; with so many things on-screen, the auto-lock feature will often lead you to target the wrong item. Light platforming elements return, too, but there seems to be a little less emphasis on them since Traveler’s Tales’s Indiana Jones and Batman outings, which comes as a relief. Platforming has never been the series’ strong point, an I’m not missing the frustration of falling into the same pit over and over and over.

The Lego series’ hallmark transgression, however, returns here again: their pushy emphasis on non-stop collection. Now, most gamers don’t mind collecting a few in-game doodads now and again – especially if it unlocks a bit of bonus content. The Lego games, however, have always taken this to a new level. While you don’t have to collect much of anything, really, whenever you do the game trumpets this achievement with blaring thunder. It’s distracting, really, all of the deliberate and constant quantifying of the game’s progression. There’s even a “percentage compete” score displayed during certain screens with a decimal point! (“I’ve taken 12.7% more of the remaining fun from this game today; what an accomplishment,” says Joe Gamer.) After a while, it bogs one down, and it simply undercuts the game’s pure charm.

The game makes up for some of this undercutting, though, with its lovingly-crafted inclusion of many of the moments from the books and films. The cutscenes are satisfyingly silly and sometimes even funny; and though players will revisit many of the same locations though their “years” at Hogwarts Academy, there were dozens of little elements in the world that changed as the years progressed, and these tiny details put more than a few smiles on my face.*

Ultimately, any gamer who loves Harry Potter is going to enjoy themselves immensely with this game. While older gamers might not find many reasons to give it more than a good weekend’s worth of play, the younger ones will of course have hours and hours of spell-casting fun.

Casualis Perfectum!

* Funny side discussion. I would love to play this game with someone who was a complete stranger to the Harry Potter stories and/or Lego and/or videogames. In this age of the Holy Mash-Up, it’s certain that most people who come to this game are familiar with all three elements here, but the Lego games’ stories are always told as wordless, cartoonish re-dos, so imagining someone completely unfamiliar trying to make sense of the story here is absolutely hilarious. It’s a total dada wash! Ha!

Rating: 6 out of 10.

Disclosures: This game was obtained via retail for the Xbox 360. Approximately 16 hours were devoted towards one play-through of the game’s story.

Parents: This game is rated E 10+, and is classified as an ‘official’ Xbox Family Game. Aside from mild plastic-on-plastic violence and a few scary situations, there’s nothing to fear here.

Deaf and Hard of Hearing Gamers: Only a few “clicks” to indicate the passage of time during timed sequences might get in the way of your enjoyment of this title. It’s also worth noting that the cutscenes are completely wordless.
Old 07-19-2010, 12:18 AM   #2
Zarmaka
New Poster

Re: Please Rate this Review: Lego Harry Potter: Years 1 - 4

I only played a little of this game, and I thought the level design was awful. Half the time there would be some item that I clearly needed to get, but I had no idea where to get it, so I just clicked on everything until I found what I needed. The lack of direction really brought down the experience for me.

Regardless, I liked the points you made in your review. Personally, I don't know how I would rate this game because it was so frustrating, but I suppose when you factor in charm, humor, and atmosphere, 6/10 seems about right, especially for a game you can play with children.
Old 07-26-2010, 04:27 AM   #3
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Nice work. it's a bit wordy in spots, but that's easily cleaned up in editing... As it is, i'd give it a green light.

So I will.

And i do.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:49 AM   #4
Jason Karney
Pixel King

I agree with Brad, it's a bit wordy as a written piece, although the style is quite enjoyable. I'd write up some sample areas to pare down but it's too hard in the forum format.

I'd also chop your "side note" at the end.

Nice job! I approve as well.

--Jason
Old 07-26-2010, 11:53 AM   #5
SparkyClarkson

Rep Power: 6 SparkyClarkson is an unknown quantity at this point

I think this is pretty solid. As others have noted, you get a bit wordy (there are some long sentences in there). Also, the side note needs to be lopped off or taken into the main body, perhaps as a warning that the game's plot isn't comprehensible on its own.

One thing I would like to see added is a bit about what was done with the books' darker moments. As you note, the Harry Potter series is pretty light and loopy, but each of the first four books has an intense scene or two (especially #4). Were you satisfied with the way the game dealt with those episodes, and why or why not?
Old 07-26-2010, 11:27 PM   #6
Richard Naik
Lt. Cmdr. PopAndFresh

Green from me as well.
Old 09-18-2010, 06:29 AM   #7
Dale Weir
Site God

Submission posted.
http://www.gamecritics.com/brandon-b...ars-1-4-review
Closed Thread