About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Late to the Party

Notices

Old 08-23-2010, 07:57 AM   #1
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Oblivion

Got Oblivion with the quake-con sale on steam. I never played any other Elder Scrolls after the first one (which was in 92), so I was not sure what to expect.

Confusion is what I found mostly so far. I still have no idea what's going on around me and it took a while for me to realize how to drop things. Luckily a tooltip showed up when my inventory was jam-packed thanks to my tendency to grab everything that's not bolted to the ground.

I play a dark elf or however they call it in this game. After repeatedly demonstrating that I'm terrible at sneaking and that I can't hit a giant rat with a bow if my life depended on it, the guardsman figured a "bard like you" should have no problem with the sewers. I translate this as "you are terrible at everything you do, this class should reflect your playstyle very well...". Well, Bard it is then...

After Captain Picard told me how awesome I am and that my inaptitude even haunts his dreams, my little dark elf - a prisoner able to remove her shackles herself - saw the light of day for the first time. I admired the beautiful lakeside, just to be pinched in the butt by a big crab. Not two steps later I got attacked by the first trash-talking bandit. They don't fuck around here.

This is a game that doesn't like to hold your hand. From the minimalistic tutorial to the fact that you may or may not do what Captain Picard told you to. So I just set out my own goal: become famous, rich and filthy. Saving the world is only a secondary objective.
Li-Ion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2010, 07:26 PM   #2
Richard Naik
Lt. Cmdr. PopAndFresh

Re: Oblivion

Morrowind was my first WRPG, so I've always had a soft spot for the Elder Scrolls games. The "here's your character go have fun" concept has always appealed to me - the story of the game is mine to tell.
Richard Naik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 02:49 AM   #3
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Well, there is a main storyline somewhere I guess, but I completely ignored it so far. I never played Morrowind, but I played Fallout 3, which I didn't really like. I'm actually surprised that I like Oblivion, since I thought it's just Fallout 3 without guns and radiation. I find it neat that it's possible to level a character by talking, crafting and trade, not only by fighting monsters and doing quests. I didn't notice that in Fallout 3. Also I didn't like Fallouts stop-go-combat, I prefer the real-time hacky-slashy-casty-approach of TES.

However, there are some issues I have with Oblivion already. First is that most people living in this world seem to be schizophrenic. They keep completely changing their mood from line to line. The speechcraft-minigame is also a bit strange and helps to fortify this assessment. I've been mainly running around Tamriel so far, make people adore me by means of rotating discs, listening to the same 4 rumors over and over. But I guess that you can't make such a big game with each NPC being perfectly simulated and individual and the development team had to cut corners. However, I'm a bit saddened that my level of interaction with most people is a rotating wheel, which is admittedly more than most RPG let you interact with the average townsfolk.

Oblivion seems to me the weakest when it comes along with scripted events. Some quest put me into a fight with 2 dudes in a tiny tomb, with no way of sneaking in. Since I'm still miserable in fighting head to head this was the worst part of the game so far. It's like the game says... "Sure, you can play however you like... BUT if you are not a heavy armored juggernaut or a mage capable of melting faces at a whim, we will stomp all over you on occasion for giggles and there's nothing you can do. Now reload and get crushed again you noob". I had to buy a set of steel armor to deal with this quest, which I found disapointing, since I could play sneaky (a.k.a. my preffered playstyle so far) without problems until that. If I would have played my run of the mill juggernaut I wouldn't have much problems there. At least the loot I got from tomb and corpses made it worthwile since I could sell everything for a good price.

I'd like to buy a house eventually to store my belongings, but so far I didn't see the possibility for that. Currently I see my character as Archeologist in the Tomb Raider sense. Lara Croft has a manor with butler to chill out between killing wildlife, mystical creatures and robbing ancient artefacts. I want that as well!
Old 08-25-2010, 04:14 AM   #4
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Naik View Post
The "here's your character go have fun" concept has always appealed to me - the story of the game is mine to tell.
That was exactly why i started to hate Morrowind approximately on hour ~80.
I had piled tons of armor, weapons, and all sorts of items in my little item shrine in Balmora, was practically unbeatable if equipped with my best set, some skills were on maximum, i was able to fly, because of those shoes i found, but there was no way i ever found back to the main quest. (not only because the log was a pure disaster)
I should find two pieces of whatever and found only one. Yeah, i love it to not finish a game, especially after wasted only some days... and even guides couldn't point me in the right direction.
Everywhere everyone was talking about this nerevarine-shit but they forgot to make the hints for the main quest foolproof.
TES3 was one of the worst games ever when it comes to storytelling. Those endless books were painful and the ridiculous, continuously inflating dialog system.... a nightmare.

Never ever i will try a Bethesda game again if it is not clearly not a TES-style game.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 06:01 PM   #5
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

...and so I ran headfirst into a wall of fail. Someone should warn you that levelling up your character is a really bad idea in this game. What's the point of having a levelling system, when all the enemies level with you and do that apparently more efficient? Since I didn't optimize my levelling strategy (mainly because I was just trying out stuff) my character grew weaker with each level, relative to all the enemies in the game. I think a sewer rat can kick my butt at this point by just looking at me funny.

An Oblivion wiki I found talks of the "levelling problem", where you find advice like...
Quote:
There are several strategies for overcoming the leveling problem. One is to never let your character sleep, and therefore your character will never level up [...]
What kind of advice should that be? That's basically saying the best way to play the game is to ignore that it's an rpg.

I just imagine the heroes of TES being insomniacs who inject themselves red bull to keep going so that their enemies don't get stronger. A bit like Nightmare on Elf street.

With this in mind I doubt that I will keep on playing Oblivion. I like the outset, but the game mechanics just killed it for me.

p.s. I bought a house for the bard, but since the character was rendered useless there's not really a way to enjoy this

Last edited by Li-Ion; 08-25-2010 at 06:04 PM. Reason: typo... yeah, it's late...
Old 08-25-2010, 11:27 PM   #6
joetbd
32-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
So I just set out my own goal: become famous, rich and filthy. Saving the world is only a secondary objective.
I got to level 30, before I started the main campaign.
Which sorta broke the game. Because many of the core story missions, assume you are a lower level (and many of the NPCs involved in those missions do not scale the way the rest of the game does).
joetbd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2010, 11:33 PM   #7
joetbd
32-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackajack View Post
i found, but there was no way i ever found back to the main quest. (not only because the log was a pure disaster)
-Morrowind

I had so much fun with that game... but its journal system was SO BAD. I had to keep my own separate (out of game) journal just to make sure I finished everything. I think I ended up with 20 pages of notes (typed).

It was really terrible system. The fact that I liked the game, enough to tolerate that. Means it must have been a pretty good game.
Old 08-26-2010, 04:58 PM   #8
Richard Naik
Lt. Cmdr. PopAndFresh

Morrowind and Oblivion had some problems (Oblivion moreso) but they kept me simply because the game worlds were so interesting. In Oblivion I actually never had a problem with leveling. As long as you know how to use your skills you should be OK.
Richard Naik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:15 PM   #9
JLB1987
Sex machine

Morrowind was one of my all-time favorites, so I had high hopes for Oblivion, as the only real issue I had with Morrowind was the combat being based on luck and skill level rather than if you actually hit your enemy.

Unfortunately I've not been too impressed so far. I hate the minigame you use to get people to like you more, and it just seems a far more bland experiance than I remember Morrowind to be. It could also be because I played Fallout 3, one of my new all-time favorites, immediately before starting Oblivion, and set my expectations highly after hearing that "Oblivion is just Fallout 3 with swords". Bollocks is it.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:01 PM   #10
RandomRob

Rep Power: 8 RandomRob will become famous soon enoughRandomRob will become famous soon enough

I think Oblivion has a more coherent 'feeling' of a living world than Fallout 3 does. Maybe it's just the setting, but I kinda miss Oblivion when I'm away from it, whereas I don't miss the DC wasteland. It could also be that Fallout3 doesn't offer seem to offer as much in the way of evil gameplay options.. if you're evil you just have to deal with weakly armed mercenaries jumping you when you fast travel somewhere... meh.
RandomRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:10 PM   #11
JLB1987
Sex machine

I guess it's all down to preference... I'd never have thought before playing both games that I'd prefer the grey, post-apocalyptic drudgery of Fallout 3 over the (admittedly)gorgeous greens and blues of Oblivion, but I just think it makes for a much more tense, atmospheric game. It's all down to preference, I guess.

That said, I don't think the setting of Oblivion let me down at all. It didn't have the 'wow' factor when I first played it that Fallout 3 and Morrowind had, but it is beautiful at times.

I guess the bottom line for me is that Oblivion, both the NPCs and the general package, feel pretty souless to me, whilst Fallout 3 had many characters I really cared about.

I'll admit it though, that crazy paranoid woodelf in one of the first towns you can go to is a fantastic character.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:52 PM   #12
Kin Korn Karn

Love Oblivion. LOOOOVE Oblivion!
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 07:05 AM   #13
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

I can't get past the ugly character designs in the Elder Scrolls games.

I didn't like Fallout 3 that much either.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2010, 09:18 AM   #14
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Naik View Post
In Oblivion I actually never had a problem with leveling. As long as you know how to use your skills you should be OK.
My main problem is that I always relied on stealth and a well-aimed stab in the back to get along in fights. But now I can't do a single step without every evildoer in a 5 mile radius knowing of my existence! They always get a jump on me now, since they somehow even manage to spot me through walls while I'm sneaking. It's really annoying.
Old 08-30-2010, 10:05 AM   #15
joetbd
32-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
My main problem is that I always relied on stealth and a well-aimed stab in the back to get along in fights. But now I can't do a single step without every evildoer in a 5 mile radius knowing of my existence! They always get a jump on me now, since they somehow even manage to spot me through walls while I'm sneaking. It's really annoying.
Its been a long time... but now that you mention it. I remember stealth being harder.

I dumped a lot of points into stealth, but it wasnt as useful as I thought it should be.

I think I even started the game over, so I could rebuild my character. Stealth wasnt completely useless (you could do "some" sneaking), it was just wasnt as useful as it had been in the previous game.