About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Next-Gen Console Games

Notices

Old 06-21-2010, 06:33 PM   #1
coyls3
32-bit Poster

new Xbox slim still have hardware problems?

I was thinking of repurchasing a 360, hoping the new slim wouldn't have hardware problems. But then I saw this:

Might be a fluke, but I'm going to wait awhile anyway.
coyls3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 07:34 PM   #2
coyls3
32-bit Poster

Re: new Xbox slim still have hardware problems?

did a google search and found more:

http://news.filefront.com/xbox-360-s...ed-rings-past/

http://gamersyndrome.com/2010/xbox-3...ady-appearing/

apparently instead of the 3 red lights, the led in the middle of the power button turns red and an error message pops up saying the system is shutting down due to lack of ventilation.

Not 100% sure if it's real but I'm definitely going to hold off a while.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:33 PM   #3
Dale Weir
Site God

Two questions:

One, is that orange Xbox Fat from some limited edition Orange Box version?

And two, what was the point of this and all of the other revisions that Microsoft did since the launch? If this is a real video, then something is seriously wrong with the manufacturing process!

dale
Dale Weir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:59 PM   #4
Spokker
64-bit Poster

A red light on the power brick means that there is a problem with the power brick, not necessarily the console, but I don't know what this guy's problem is.

The new Xbox 360 model shuts down automatically if it gets too hot. This will happen when morons put it on the carpet in a tight space within an entertainment center.

My older model 360 is on a flat and hard surface with plenty of room on all sides, and I don't have a problem with it.
Spokker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:59 PM   #5
Vince

Send a message via MSN to Vince Send a message via Yahoo to Vince

That 'Orange' Xbox is really red from a Resident Evil 5 Edition.

The point of the revisions was to create a smaller and more efficient CPU/GPU. I believe ArsTechna has disasembled a 360 Slim and the CPU/GPU are now in one die instead of two seperate.

This video seems to indicate a problem with the brick its self and not the 360. It is reported that when the Slim has an issue, the center of the power button blinks green. The red lights have been removed, speculation says as a PR move so RROD does not exist any more as we know it.
Old 06-22-2010, 08:57 AM   #6
Dale Weir
Site God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince View Post
This video seems to indicate a problem with the brick its self and not the 360. It is reported that when the Slim has an issue, the center of the power button blinks green. The red lights have been removed, speculation says as a PR move so RROD does not exist any more as we know it.
The CPU/GPU are now seated on one die along with eDRAM. And there is a one large fan instead of two smaller louder fans. So it's cheaper to make, smaller and quieter. You'd think Microsoft covered all of its bases.

Meh, maybe it is just too early to jump on the company. With new hardware there are bound to be snafus with a new launch. What I didn't expect to be a problem though was overheating.

I also don't think you need to speculate to know that Microsoft wants to get as far away from that PR nightmare as possible. Sadly, Red Dot of Death is just as catchy.

dale
Dale Weir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 12:03 AM   #7
Spokker
64-bit Poster

Today I got yet another trio of flashing red rings on my first-generation model 360. That is my third Xbox 360 and will be my fourth warranty repair (three years for three red rings). They are sending the shipping label within the next three days. Sucks I have to box it up myself. They used to send their own box, affectionately nicknamed the 360 coffin.

So I looked at this slim model like the sucker that I am (I should really just stop buying Microsoft products, but I'm in too deep!) and it doesn't seem like a good option for someone who is in limbo.

First, the hard drive slot on the slim model is not compatible with my 20gb hard drive. I would have slapped the 20gb on the slim 360, copied over my saves to a USB stick that I already have, and then copy over my saves to the 250gb hard drive. However, in order to transfer saves, you have to shell out another goddamn $20 for a transfer cable.

In a word: no.

So I looked at an Arcade bundle that Target had for $130 + $30 gift card. Unfortunately, it's nowhere to be found. Best Buy has a ton of Arcade bundles for $150, but at that price I still feel like a sucker. A Fry's near me has the Elite Spring Bundle for $250. It comes with a 120gb hard drive, Forza 3 and Halo 3: ODST, but again, sucker.

I'm out a 360 for another month, and this was the only time I actually had time to play (it always seems to work out like that).

I just hope they don't give me the same 360 back, but a newer model that doesn't break as often.
Old 07-10-2010, 10:13 PM   #8
coyls3
32-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokkersan View Post
Today I got yet another trio of flashing red rings on my first-generation model 360. That is my third Xbox 360 and will be my fourth warranty repair (three years for three red rings). They are sending the shipping label within the next three days. Sucks I have to box it up myself. They used to send their own box, affectionately nicknamed the 360 coffin.

So I looked at this slim model like the sucker that I am (I should really just stop buying Microsoft products, but I'm in too deep!) and it doesn't seem like a good option for someone who is in limbo.

First, the hard drive slot on the slim model is not compatible with my 20gb hard drive. I would have slapped the 20gb on the slim 360, copied over my saves to a USB stick that I already have, and then copy over my saves to the 250gb hard drive. However, in order to transfer saves, you have to shell out another goddamn $20 for a transfer cable.

In a word: no.

So I looked at an Arcade bundle that Target had for $130 + $30 gift card. Unfortunately, it's nowhere to be found. Best Buy has a ton of Arcade bundles for $150, but at that price I still feel like a sucker. A Fry's near me has the Elite Spring Bundle for $250. It comes with a 120gb hard drive, Forza 3 and Halo 3: ODST, but again, sucker.

I'm out a 360 for another month, and this was the only time I actually had time to play (it always seems to work out like that).

I just hope they don't give me the same 360 back, but a newer model that doesn't break as often.
$20 for a transfer cable isn't that bad, but they should of made it possible to transfer with a standard USB cable.

If you don't want to invest in another M$ product, you could always get a PS3. Then when your 360 comes back next month, you'll have both.

As for me, I was browsing GameStop yesterday and there were some people talking about Gears 3. That got me thinking about how much I loved Gears 1-2. Before I sold my elite (because of multiple red ring attacks) Gears 2 was the only 360 game I played for considerable amounts of time. I never got caught up in the Halo hype; and I'm not that into western rpgs, so Mass Effect isn't really my thing. No, Gears 2 was my love on the 360, and the E3 footage of Gears 3 looked great.

As I have stated in earlier post, I have been thinking about buying another 360, but I'm afraid of being once again sucked into the revolving door of red ring hell. I don't want to have to send my console in for repair on a bimonthly basis while watching the money I spent for a Xbox Live subscription swirl down the drain. However, I almost put my fear behind me yesterday. I stood in Gamestop over an hour arguing with myself about buying a 360 slim.

But as the great debate drug on, I started to realize something. Other than Gears 3, there just isn't anything else the 360 has to offer me. As I have already stated, I don't like Halo or Mass Effect, and other than Gears and Reach M$'s E3 was devoid of games. Literally every other game the 360 has that I am remotely interested in is multiplatform, so I could just get them for the PS3 (and probably would anyway since there is a lot of modding on Xbox Live). When I originally got a 360, the PS3 didn't have many good games that interested me, but the 360 did. Now, things seem to have done a 180. Today, PS3 seems to have an iron grip on the action/adventure genre, my favorite genre, and has finally started putting out games with good multiplayers.

Is it worth setting myself up for more frustration for one game? After all, I'm pretty sure that Gears 3 will be the last in the series. "But it's gears," my inner six-year-old cried. Also, is it too late to travel back to the world of Xbox 360? After all, I have started hearing rumors about the 720 coming out in 2012; and after completely abandoning the original Xbox, I wouldn't put it passed M$ to do the same with the 360. Sure, they claim the 360 will have a ten year life span, but they also claimed that Windows Vista would be the replacement for XP. "But it's Gears, sniff, sniff." Well, fuck Gears. It's just to big a risk for me to want to gamble.

Last edited by coyls3; 07-11-2010 at 12:06 AM.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:09 PM   #9
Spokker
64-bit Poster

Good points, coyls, but I decided to get the cheap 360 on sale. I guess I'll put the other 360 in another room so I can stream Netflix there.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:16 PM   #10
Mike Bracken
Next-Gen Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokkersan View Post
I got the last arcade at my Target right after E3. $130 and a $50 GC. The funny thing was that I almost blew $200 on the arcade the week before E3.

I really wanted to say "fuck MS" and just buy a PS3, but I have like 50 360 games sitting here -- lots unopened -- and I couldn't stand the thought of like not having something to play them on.

My game collection: http://users.ign.com/collection/sadeian
Mike Bracken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2010, 10:28 PM   #11
coyls3
32-bit Poster

I broke down and got the $150 arcade bundle from gamestop today.

reason being: MY PS3 GOT THE YELLOW LIGHT OF FUCKING DEATH. Of coarse it's out of warranty (metal gear bundle from 08) so I have to spend $185 including shipping to get it fixed and of coarse it would happen right in time for summer semester to end.

So I wanted something to play, and was gonna get a PS3 slim, but I decided to get the 360 arcade so I would have both once PS3 comes back.

so looks like I'll be playing gears 3 after all.
Old 07-23-2010, 12:50 AM   #12
gamevet

I bought a used 360 Arcade (manufactured in Sept, of 09) for $139, complete with box about 2 months ago. I also picked up a new 20 gig HDD for another $30. $170 for a backup 360 isn't a bad deal, and with the way my Elite dvd drive has been acting up, it's only a matter of time before it gives out.
gamevet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 04:06 AM   #13
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
$170 for a backup 360 isn't a bad deal
Buying a HW, a HW i actually already own, twice is always a bad deal. (tough for Sony it also is/was)

I wonder sometimes how many of those 40 resp. 35 mio consoles sold are for similar purposes. A backup machine, an exchange unit for RRoD/YLoD after warranty period or a Box for being banned from Live.
Is this a new way to boost sales or did this already happen in previous generations?
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 10:37 PM   #14
coyls3
32-bit Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackajack View Post
Buying a HW, a HW i actually already own, twice is always a bad deal. (tough for Sony it also is/was)

I wonder sometimes how many of those 40 resp. 35 mio consoles sold are for similar purposes. A backup machine, an exchange unit for RRoD/YLoD after warranty period or a Box for being banned from Live.
Is this a new way to boost sales or did this already happen in previous generations?
well, for 360, I know multiple people who have bought back-up systems; preparing for the next attack. I also know people who bought another system even though their original was being repaired.

So yeah, I have always questioned to myself the validity of the 360 sales figures.

However, I'm the only person I know personally who has gotten the YLOD. It is a problem, but I don't think it's nowhere near as widespread as RROD. I'm sure that some of the PS3 sales are due to re-buys, but I'm not really seeing people buying back-up systems or anything.

What sucks for me is the failure % of YLOD refurbs. I Think it's like 60%.

hope they let me add the PS protection plan to it.

Last edited by coyls3; 07-23-2010 at 10:40 PM.
Old 07-24-2010, 12:51 AM   #15
gamevet

Quote:
Originally Posted by crackajack View Post

There's no way I'm paying MS twice for a console. The used 360 didn't line Microsofts pockets, though the $30 HDD did.

Sure, I could have swapped my 120gig HDD back and forth between the two consoles, but I'd rather have the extra storage space; I only have about 40 gig left on my Elite.

The Dreamcast's North American numbers were probably padded by Sega fans that bought a second system, when they were clearing them out. I'd bought a second one (traded the dead DC in at Walmart), because my launch DC died one year after I'd bought it. The DC is notorious for blowing out controller ports as well.

Last edited by gamevet; 07-24-2010 at 08:06 AM.
gamevet is offline   Reply With Quote