About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Guide Help

Notices

Old 12-23-2008, 04:46 PM   #46
Unregistered

Re: Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization Tips FAQ Help Tricks Hints Cheats Strat

The game is more than stupid and it needs patch ASAP.
I had 30 turns till end when i declared independence. The war with England started. I managed to have more soldiers then king, but he just approached with his MOW ships bombarding my town and never landed the troops? WTH?? Of course i was waiting from turn to turn that he will land his troops and that i'll wipe his ass with my troops but (naturally??) he never did that, so at the end it was like King of England won the war!!?? WTH??? and once again WTH???
Does somebody know when the patch will be realized or will it be ever realized??
Old 12-25-2008, 09:03 PM   #47
Unregistered

Re: Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization Tips FAQ Help Tricks Hints Cheats Strat

how do you make my city less crowded. i always have some citizens saying its too crowded. How do i fix this?
Old 12-26-2008, 11:53 AM   #48
desert

i think, i can really say that i am a quite experienxced player, i played civilization and nearly every similar product (alpha centari or colonization)

several huntdret times. i like improvements and changes in the game, but this one is strange
i am not talking about bugs, in most cases there is always a way to go around them, I AM TALKING ABOUT THE STRATEGICAL CONCERNS

there are some points i would like to bring up:

1. about the beginnig the game
- who is playing the spanish ? who is so stupid to take advantage of the them and starts a war against the natives from beginning ? i never heard about

something like that. the fact is the most people try to win with dutch or english. and speaking about the french is waste of time
- sometimes you need 3 turns to even find some landing point, and if you are "lucky" its a small island without any resources -> new game

2. about the colonists
- why do you need over 10 years (!) education in a school to become a simple fisherman or farmer ? or sometimes even more ? the education time should be

corrected
- why are the prises for hurry up the imigration even 15 times higher than the prices for hire the colonists directly ? thats unnessecery and not

logical, and its simply not needed

3. about the armies
as we all know, its not possible to keep up with the king´s forces
so, generally that would be no problem, IF you where able to build or create units capable to defend the cities against the king. but you are NOT.
- you need 2-3 SotLs to destroy one MoW, so for example if the king is comming with 4 MoWs -> your naval forces will be destroyed in no time, maybe not

by the first wave, but surelly by the second
(SotL is the most expensive unit in the game, even if you build it in your colonies)
- the king´s artillery is able to destroy your special general-unit defending a city (at level 5 veteran !) by the first atack, thats very annoying,

´cause as i allready said, you cannot keep up with over 100 king´s units by that way

4. about winning strategies
i heard about very unsuall strategies, i.e keeping the coast-cities on low level, or even killing your own people in order to retake the cities back

easly, but the most disturbing one is the "0 bells strategy" with only 3 cities ! on a map where you can found over 50 cities ? so what is it all about ?
where is the fun about conquering new territories and creating your own economical infrastructure in this case ? that means killing the biggest part of

the game.
in the end i have to say, there are only two ways to win the game:
- the first one is called "0 bells strategy", that means to trick out the game by suddenly producing bells in masses, so you can start the revolution

before the king is 10 times stronger then you are. Somebody calculated that you only need 7 turns (under optimal conditions) to produce the needed amount

of bells (50 %), and even then, there is not garanty...
- the second one is to focus from the beginnig on producing SotLs, in order to destroy the king´s naval forces before they can land the troops. this

surelly leads the king to surrender and then to win. but building so many SotLs is nearlly impossible, even on the easiest level.

so... if these are the only ways to win the game, IT IS SIMPLY NOT WORTH PLAYING IT
Old 12-27-2008, 07:10 AM   #49
Unregistered

Question Re: Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization Tips FAQ Help Tricks Hints Cheats Strat

how do you make my city less crowded. i always have some citizens saying its too crowded. How do i fix this?
Old 12-30-2008, 05:54 PM   #50
Unregistered

I was started my bell production 60turns from finish.
Had 1st kings units on my land 39turns away.
When time ended, king had 0,3,1,5 units left... xP
Talk about slow ass King if you play with normal time and get colonies from north america..
Old 12-31-2008, 06:02 AM   #51
Unregistered

New try

Second easiest level.
Scenario - Western Hemisphere
Time - Normal

-Sailed my ship to northern america. Made only 4 cities (few more would been better). 2 coastal cities and 2 inland, all had ore, food and wood.

-Traded 0 with Europe, only few cannons, few master workers and galleon which I bought. Didn't buy any guns or horses. Traded some with natives when production was put u.

-Seasoned scout got all together approx 10 gold treasures to ship away.

-Set up missions in every native settlement near to get farmers, fishermen, and ore miners.

-I bought or got 1 Statesman from the docks. Trained more, and started liberty bell production 69 turns from finish.

-When I started revolution, King had 22 Regulars, 9 Dragoons, 7 Artillery and 6 Ships. Earlier game King had 4 or 5 ships and brought units with lower speed. Make sure King has enough boats (but not too many).
-I had just enough on each wave that I managed to fight them outside the city. Got my 1st Dragoon in last wave..little disappointment. Got easier when I got the 1st general and it's upgrades. Maybe next time I'll fight a bit to get the general before revolution..

Independence 1780 (darn...I missed).
Old 12-31-2008, 06:15 AM   #52
Previous writer

And yeah...as old Colonizationist I didn't like the strategy too much >
If I had played Epic-time, maybe then you don't have to worry about King getting all his forces on the land soon enough..
When I played my 1st Civ-Colonization ever, King had an army to massacre whole continent and half of Europe. That wasn't fun.
Then I started to wonder that if I don't make any bells, mb King don't build up his army. But like I said...differs too much from the original.

So in the end I played it so many times I got it..but I'm not pleased
Old 01-01-2009, 12:46 PM   #53
Alex

I beat the game (on a low level mind you) by doing the following:
- Created a small number of cities (4-5) just to keep administration of trade routes manageable.
- Focused on building Warehouse expansions as fast as possible so that I can stockpile goods.
- Didn't trade goods with europe until I was able to build a galleon (tax rate doesn't seem to go up unless you trade, so if you delay trading until you can do so in large quantites, you make more trades at lower tax rate).
- Spent my money hurrying cololists from Europe, and buying Guns and Tools.
- Started the revolution with 50 turns left. Gained independance with 1 turn left.

Here is my take on the military units, and fighting the King:
- I don't think you will ever be able to destroy the King's navy before it lands. Best you can hope for is to sink a few of his ships to kill off some troops, and reduce his bombarding power.
- Keep a full stock of guns in each city, so you can quickly convert colonists into soldiers once the Kings forces land.
- The plan is to expect the king to take over a few of your cities, but to make him pay for it dearly. Max out your fortifications, and have a crap load of fortified soldiers and colonists in there. (And maybe a few dragoons to "pick off" any injured King's forces).
- My experience was that after the king took over my 2 most powerfull and fortified cities, he seemed to run out of steam, and just bunkered down in the 2 cities. Then it was my turn to counter attack. In particular, Canons seem to be devastating at attacking cities (+100% attack) (And so, I would recommend keeping them back in reserve, and used exclusively for recapturing your cities).

Anyway, I only played 2 full games, so the above are initial reactions, and might not be the best strategies, but they might help a few people.

Remember, the game is NOT about conquering the world, or beating the other players. The game is PURELY about defeating the king. So creating 20-30 cities may be fun, but unless you have a plan where they will help defeat the king, it might just be a waste of time.

Alex
Old 01-07-2009, 07:36 PM   #54
Unregistered

Obviously this game must of been rushed which is a great shame! Especially after the great Civ IV!

Bug: When you lack TOOLS to complete a building, you can buy it, but since almost every city produces some hammers, it consumes some tools and the next move SAME good damn f....g thing!

What I dislike very much is the communistic approach of the game - if you work hard or do something good, you will be punished so that everybody would still be on the same level.

If you have 600 money, the king asks you 200, if 20 000 the king asks 16 000

What's the point!!!

The immigrants are very annoying, since their price goes up EXPONENTIALLY!!!

How unbelievable is that!

Why even bother to have money? This question raised in my head quite soon, after playing the game.

Then I heard that the best strategy would be to have almost no settlements at all and stay low!

???

Why are the tools priced 1/2 and ore some 4/5 since it takes ore to build tools?

Same thing with horses... why ever bother to make them on your own, when you can have them for free! (almost)

Why is the main goal to raise population?

Have to say, the university works fine (in the early phases in the game....later it sucks! It should not take hits by the time changes - hey 22 moves to convert something - I am sorry, but the game does not have so many moves - whats the point to feed 3 people in your building for 20 moves!

WHY IS EVERYTHING SO PENALIZED!

If I pay the god d..n building, let it produce!

Why is settlement spamming bad???

Would it not be self-explanatory that to conquer a king you have to have HUGE economy, LOTS of territory! And so on!

Why does the King have such BONUSES against settlements? So that a proper strategy would be to leave the settlements and battle elsewhere!

I mean, this game drives me.....

huh...

What suggestion I would give to the developers is to make a fundamental change here, how to control things. The fewer artificial benefits or bonuses or penalties, the better.

A good strategy should arise from the fundamental aspects, the game environment gives- the fundamentals should be balanced well.

Other then that - leave the harassment!

I mean, if I manage to gather some fortune - why not buy 20 immigrants at a prise of 20 and let me educate them, if I have invested on universities...

Why do you let me buy 4 and the next one is priced some 10 000....

See which strategies this has caused?

The King should be powerful from the beginning. And the adjustment should be minor!

Dear friends, this game needs rather a surgery than a minor tweak!

Greetings,
Margus
Old 01-07-2009, 08:04 PM   #55
Unregistered

Read this professional critics opinion, says it all!

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrank...eviewid=980403
Old 01-10-2009, 07:08 AM   #56
Unregistered

Recently got this game and there are some problems with it but for some reason i still really enjoy it.

1st time I played it I failed. The king is insanely hard. Read this forum and followed the tips. Producing 0 bells strategy works like a treat, but the downside to this is if your settlement is next one of the computer players it will start expanding its borders (because its producing liberty bells) and swallows up your land.

The second tactic that worked for me is don’t develop your defences for coastal towns. Let them fall and then you can attack them.

I’m going to have another go and try trading with the Indians and fellow European computer players.
Old 01-20-2009, 08:48 AM   #57
Unregistered

What do I have to do to be able to trade guns and horses with the other Europeans?
Old 01-26-2009, 06:49 PM   #58
Unregistered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I agree. The game really needs patching. Lots of bugs. The king is almost impossible to beat. His units are a lot more and a lot better. All have bonuses vs settlements which means you can't just stay and defend your towns. The man-o-wars are impossible to defeat. Your ships require too much resources and are too slow to build even with 40 shields per turn. Really a game which needs patching... It is bloody stupid to have only ONE way to win - by hampering your own colonies...
The is no where near impossible to beat. Everything depends on building your army before starting your push to independence and adding to it as the king adds to his. You can beat the king even when he has a 2X1 advantage if you hit and run and wear him down. The thing to remember is the king has no where to retreat to and you do.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:58 PM   #59
Unregistered

Quote:
Palin is a whore
So is your mom.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:04 AM   #60
Unregistered

Quote:
The is no where near impossible to beat. Everything depends on building your army before starting your push to independence and adding to it as the king adds to his. You can beat the king even when he has a 2X1 advantage if you hit and run and wear him down. The thing to remember is the king has no where to retreat to and you do.
Yeah, you can win, but this still sucks*.
This game is all about tricks not creating new nation- 0 bell strategy. Give me a break. I just want to see how those loyal colonists turn into rebels willing to kill their king in just 10 years...I'd like to see US founding fathers saying "Shhh...we must be very quiet, every time we use word >independent< another Red Coat is added."
Or another strategy - leave our cities 'cause it's way way easier to attack them then defend them. That's something new...
"Hey, guys, let's leave Philly behind! We'll use our bonus on counterattack"...

King's forces should be maybe more powerfull but should not come to New World in such astronomical numbers. The number of cavalary is way, way to big. The city attack bonus is silly. Artillery should be used for barrage and destroying walls not to conquer cities (as well as dragoons should be used in open terrain not to storm cities or fight in the woods). King's forces should be better in open field, but worse in forests, hills, marshes.
As it is now, the game is just unplayable, because whole fun in building your own colony is ruined by stupid war for independence.

* - of course it's creators fault, not guys' who figured out how to win this game