About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Culture

Notices

Old 11-12-2007, 11:31 PM   #1261
Epic Juicebox
Noisy?

Rep Power: 14 Epic Juicebox is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via AIM to Epic Juicebox
Re: Post here when you beat a game. I mean it!

I finished The Legend of Zelda: Phantom Hourglass tonight. And it was pretty much awesome! I was a little skeptical about the control scheme on the front end - almost entirely touch based without even the option of a traditional layout - but I came around by the end of the first dungeon (yes, it took that long, but I came around nonetheless). The whole thing really works well on the DS!

I never got around to playing through Wind Waker, but after finishing this one I'm very much tempted to go back and give it a shot. Great game!

- EJ

Now Playing: Persona (PSP) - Scribblenauts (DS) - Assassin's Creed II (X360)

Check out my entire collection at IGN!
Epic Juicebox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 12:20 AM   #1262
Kin Korn Karn

Finished Mass Effect today. I'd love to run through it again, but knowing me I probably won't. Thought I would for KOTOR, didn't. Thought I would for Bioshock. Haven't. Anyhow, great game, but not perfect. Too many little glitches here and there. Frustrating inventory system. And there can be SO much done to the planet-side combat and exploration. I think part 2 will fix alot of "problems". Nothing detracted from my enjoyment of the game, however.

Next up: Assassin's Creed, or Mario Galaxy. Got games going on both of them.
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2007, 03:50 AM   #1263
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

man, i forgot all about this thread.

finished Portal few days ago.. that was pretty nifty.

i'm at the last boss in Ratchet & Clank Future right now, i'll probably lay that to bed tomorrow.

can't remember what else i've finished since i last posted here, but there must have been at least a couple... oh yeah, Super Stardust HD, Super Rub-A-Dub, and Blast Factor, all on the download from the PS Network.
Old 12-20-2007, 03:51 AM   #1264
idiotic
128-bit Poster

When are you gonna play Metroid, already?
idiotic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 10:53 AM   #1265
Kin Korn Karn

Cross Assassin's Creed and COD4 off the list. Yeah, yeah, not like COD4 is a big deal to beat. But for someone who hardly plays any shooters...
Kin Korn Karn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 03:06 PM   #1266
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Finished Ratchet & Clank PS3... review is in the can.

About Corruption... it's still on my list but to be perfectly frank, Echoes left a horrible taste in my mouth and i'm not sure i'm ready to come back to another Metroid game yet. just not feeling it right now, maybe soon.

what can i say, i follow my heart. ; )
Old 12-25-2007, 06:42 AM   #1267
Gene Park
Critic Emeritus

I beat Naruto: Rise of a Ninja for the XB360. Not a bad game, especially for Naruto fans.

I only rented it in anticipation of it taking longer than two days for me to beat (something for me to do on Xmas, but alas it wasn't to be). But I also wanted to get up to speed on what Naruto was actually about. Although some people might find the whole story and cutscenes tedious, it was helpful to me since I had no previous experience with the series.

At least after having played the game, I can tell the difference between a hokage and a jutsu. Which is more than what I can say about Harry Potter, another kiddy crazy I'm not familiar with at all. I have no idea what a hogwart is.

The game itself is a mixture of a standard DBZ type anime fighter, and Assassin's Creed, strangely enough. And Crackdown. It was also developed by Ubisoft so that kinda makes sense. The most fun I had with the game is running through the city at top speed. After playing that, it was hard to go back to Altair and his 5 mph sprint.

Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Facebook
Twitter
Gene Park is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2007, 01:04 AM   #1268
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Finished Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure on the Wii.

Pretty damned good, even though it has some problems. the control may be gimmicky, but it's a lot finer quality of gimmick than the standard Wii offering.

possibly doing a review, but for now... thumbs UP.
Old 12-26-2007, 03:18 PM   #1269
sleeveboy
VISUALSHOCK!

Halo 3, on Heroic.

On the whole I was quite satisfied with the end, at least in terms of gameplay. For a long time I was stuck at the end of the seventh level, at the sequence with the two Scarabs. For the longest time I tried to dive-bomb the first Scarab with the VTOL craft (can't remember the name), blow it up, then pray that I would find a waiting Warthog to take down the second Scarab. This proved unworkable as a solo-player strategy. So I grabbed the Warthog from the start and eventually brought down them both.

I have to say, the eighth level was nowhere near as bad as I expected it to be. I daresay it was the best Flood-only level in all three Halo games. The new "pure Flood" forms introduced some badly-needed variety, and the level itself is pretty well put together. A little too reminiscent of System Shock 2, maybe, but SS2 was hardly original in that regard either.

And I really enjoyed the final dash to the frigate in the final level. It brought back happy memories of the first Halo.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:10 PM   #1270
Gene Park
Critic Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeveboy View Post
Halo 3, on Heroic.

On the whole I was quite satisfied with the end, at least in terms of gameplay. For a long time I was stuck at the end of the seventh level, at the sequence with the two Scarabs. For the longest time I tried to dive-bomb the first Scarab with the VTOL craft (can't remember the name), blow it up, then pray that I would find a waiting Warthog to take down the second Scarab. This proved unworkable as a solo-player strategy. So I grabbed the Warthog from the start and eventually brought down them both.

I have to say, the eighth level was nowhere near as bad as I expected it to be. I daresay it was the best Flood-only level in all three Halo games. The new "pure Flood" forms introduced some badly-needed variety, and the level itself is pretty well put together. A little too reminiscent of System Shock 2, maybe, but SS2 was hardly original in that regard either.

And I really enjoyed the final dash to the frigate in the final level. It brought back happy memories of the first Halo.
As much shit Halo 3 gets nowadays, it's still a very good game, and I play it a helluva lot more than I ever played part 2, which wasn't that bad.

The ability to go directly to key checkpoints and big battles increases the replayability for me. Thus I can practice different ways of taking down the two Scarabs on solo missions. My favorite way has been to land the VTOL on one scarab, blow it up, and borrow a warthog on the ground, and jump the damn thing on the other scarab before blowing that one up. It's always a challenge to try to drive the warthog off the scarab with all your marines intact.

And as good as COD4 is, I only wish the game was more like Battlefield with vehicles. And the explosions may be more fake in Halo 3, but they're certainly a sight to behold.

Try it on Legendary sleeve. I guarantee you the most difficult part of the entire game (except for the Cortana level) will be the bunker defense setpiece on the Tsavo Highway level. It took me a good hour to take down a unit of brutes bigger than a platoon.

Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Facebook
Twitter
Old 12-26-2007, 04:37 PM   #1271
sleeveboy
VISUALSHOCK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Park View Post
Try it on Legendary sleeve. I guarantee you the most difficult part of the entire game (except for the Cortana level) will be the bunker defense setpiece on the Tsavo Highway level. It took me a good hour to take down a unit of brutes bigger than a platoon.
When Halo 3 first came out, I played that sequence online with three friends on Legendary. We played it for over an hour, maybe an hour and a half. We never got past it.

Still, I'm looking forward to playing Legendary, especially with a partner. GC folks are welcome to hit me up if interested.
Old 12-26-2007, 04:47 PM   #1272
Gene Park
Critic Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeveboy View Post
When Halo 3 first came out, I played that sequence online with three friends on Legendary. We played it for over an hour, maybe an hour and a half. We never got past it.

Still, I'm looking forward to playing Legendary, especially with a partner. GC folks are welcome to hit me up if interested.
Jesus. That must've been humbling.

JackMerridew117 if you need help. I think I have the overall rhythm of that section down. It does help if you're able to sneak in a Warthog for that level, using a gravity lift to sneak it past the gap and blockade in the broken piece of highway before it. It's always nice to have a .50 cal set up at a distance. And make sure to bring in a Covenant sniper rifle to pick off those chieftains.

Honolulu Star-Advertiser
Facebook
Twitter
Old 12-28-2007, 06:49 PM   #1273
Nossato
Keeper of the JRPG Cliche

Send a message via AIM to Nossato Send a message via Yahoo to Nossato

Finished Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney after stopping halfway through. WTF at the last case?! It was fun but damn, some of the leaps of logic are a little much!

Can't wait to start the second one though
Nossato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:27 PM   #1274
Brad Gallaway
Demons are defeated

Funny that you just beat PW1, i finished PW3 last night.

it was all right. most folks i've talked to say they think 3 is the best, but IMO it was the weakest. the logic is too heavily based in fantasy (the spiritual channeling of the Fey family) and parts of it just felt way too thin and shaky to be believable to any degree.

it wasn't bad, but it didn't have the emotional impact of the relationship between Phoenix Wright and Edgeworth in PW1.
Old 12-31-2007, 03:11 PM   #1275
EnduroGamer
Just Passing Through

Rep Power: 28 EnduroGamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Out of curiosity, how is it that this thread (nearly 4 years old) only has 95,000 total views but the "tips" thread about Need for Speed already has 82,000 views in a month?

I smell shenanigans of the pageview-boosting variety.

But I digress...

I've beaten a hell of a lot of games since my last post. THPG, Overlord, Lego Star Wars 2, Eternal Sonata, PGR4, and Stuntman Ignition and a couple others I can't remember. Of them all, I'd have to say that Overlord was the biggest surprise. What a really fun game to play.
EnduroGamer is offline   Reply With Quote