About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Industry News

Notices

Old 07-21-2005, 09:32 PM   #1
Chi Kong Lui
Next-Gen Site Owner

New Feature: Life+Game: Birth

Chi Kong Lui continues with his second Life+Game column. Focusing on the recent birth of his first child, he writes "I had conceptualized several follow-up articles dealing with impending fatherhood and finding time to play games. All that went out the window on the morning of June 5th when my wife, Regina, started having contractions and went into early labor."

Read more here:
http://www.gamecritics.com/feature/e...507/page01.php
Chi Kong Lui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2005, 12:16 PM   #2
Jerm
16-bit Poster

Re: New Feature: Life+Game: Birth

Great article--and a cute kid to boot!

Congrats, Chi.
Jerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2005, 03:21 PM   #3
krlayne
New Poster

Hey Chi,

Congratulations on your first born. It is amazing how you and I seem to have the same types of experiences. My daughter (she is 18 Months old now) had a similarly hard time coming into this world. Her mum is a slim woman and Aria (that is her name) was born 7 pounds 11 ounces. Aria got stuck in the birth canal and would not move. C-Section would not have helped at that point in time. But, thank God, all's well that ends well. She is bright and bubbly toddler now who is a superhero. Her super powers include eluding capture, wrecking the house, causing mayhem, making parents talk incessantly and softening videogame dad's heart.

Video games while close to my heart no longer occupy the place they once did. Would I like to be able to play every single game through to the end? Certainly. I have been playing Shadow Hearts Covenant for the last 6 months. I can't seem to get it completed. Another friend of mine just bought the game 2 weeks ago and he has already caught up to where I am. He is a young guy with no real responsibilities. Yet. Can I still compete with these younger guys in things like Street Fighter, Tekken or Soul Calibur? I can hold my own, but I can't win like I used do. Do I care? Not particularly. As I said in one of my previous posts, games are now my gravy, not my potatoes. And I like it that way. Games don't prepare you for life, they make the trip a little more enjoyable.

By the way Chi, wait until you get to chapter 3 of Life+Game - Baby's first illness. All of us go through it. Let's see where your videogames are then. ;-)
krlayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2005, 02:30 AM   #4
Apossum
Transport is arranged

Congrats Chi! Everything you said is 100% true. Great column, I'm definitely looking forward to more installments.
Old 08-04-2005, 04:24 AM   #5
Chi Kong Lui
Next-Gen Site Owner

Thanks everyone for the congrats. The support you receive from everyone is amazing and overwhelming.

To krlayne and everyone who might think this will evolve into regular updates on my baby, I hope to avoid that entirely. While I'm sure there will be future columns on the adventures of fatherhood, I also wanted to write about working full-time and other aspects of life and how it effect my gaming lifestyle.

Again, thanks for reading.

Chi
Chi Kong Lui is offline   Reply With Quote