About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Game Industry News

Notices

Old 03-02-2005, 08:53 AM   #1
Dale Weir
Site God

New Feature Posted: Interview with Kudo Tsunoda

Chi Kong Lui talks with Kudo Tsunoda, the wild man behind Fight Night 2004 and the just released Fight Night Round 2.

"The main thing that frustrated me about every boxing game made before Fight Night was that it really had nothing to do with the sport of boxing. Gameplay in other boxing games was centered around the mindless button mashing that resulted from the rudimentary button punch controls. With Fight Night, we definitely wanted to deliver a game that was true to the sport of boxing."

You can read the rest here:
http://www.gamecritics.com/feature/i...oda/page01.php
Dale Weir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 10:18 AM   #2
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

Re: New Feature Posted: Interview with Kudo Tsunoda

Great interview, guys!

I'm gonna definitely get this one somewhere down the road. (I know somebody told me to go ahead and get the first one, 'cause it's still really good, but still.. I really need only one boxing game, and they've done so much stuff better for the second.. )

Frankly, I'm damn glad Tyson isn't in the game. A RAPIST should be given NOTHING, certainly not more money or recognition. Jesus, that's just one more thing wrong with professional sports. Okay I should stop now.

Say, can anyone give me a link as to who's included, like Ali, Joe Lewis, Sugar Ray, and like? Always curious.
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Hypatia93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 11:03 AM   #3
Chi Kong Lui
Next-Gen Site Owner

While I'm ecstatic that Phillipino hero/icon Manny "Pac Man" Pacquaio is in there, I'm slightly underwhelemed by the roster. I could be wrong, but it seems less than the first. The featherweight class is probably the most intriguing now.

I'd have to see Holmes, Bowe, Tyson, Foreman, De LaHoya, Hagler, Hearns, Ray Leonard, Klitchko, and Trinidad to be happy. Having Jack Johnson, Dempsey and Hurricane Carter would have been a bonus.

Heavyweight:
Roy Jones Jr
James Toney
Muhammad Ali
Chris Byrd
Joe Frazier
Evander Holyfield
Sonny Liston
Rocky Marciano
Ken Norton

Light Heavy:
Jeff Lacy
Evander Holyfield
Roy Jones Jr.
James Toney
Antonio Tarver

Middleweight:
Bernard Hopkins
Ray Robinson
Jermain Taylor
Ronald Wright
Jake LaMotta

Welterweight:
Ricky Hatton
Roberto Duran
Arturo Gatti
Shane Mosely
Ray Robinson
Miguel Cotto
Ray Leonard
Micky Ward
Ricardo Mayorga

Lightweight:
Mike Anchondo
Jesse James Leija
Roberto Duran
Arturo Gatti
Juan Lazcano
Floyd Mayweather
Shane Mosely

Featherweight:
Marco Antonio Barrera
Kevin Kelly
Derrick Gainer
Diego Corrales
Juan Marquez
Rafael Marquez
Erik Morales
Manny Pacquaio
Chi Kong Lui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 11:08 AM   #4
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

Chi,

Thanks for the roster. Some pretty good names there including Jake LaMotta.

However, I am sorely disappointed in you. Yes, you. In that you are disappointed that a convicted RAPIST is not included in the line-up. You are a rather intelligent and informed fellow, so when you are disappointed, I can only envision what the masses think. *heavy sigh*
"To announce that there must be no criticism of the President, or that we are to stand by the President, right or wrong, is not only unpatriotic and servile, but is morally treasonable to the American public.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Old 03-02-2005, 12:05 PM   #5
Chi Kong Lui
Next-Gen Site Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hypatia93
However, I am sorely disappointed in you. Yes, you. In that you are disappointed that a convicted RAPIST is not included in the line-up. You are a rather intelligent and informed fellow, so when you are disappointed, I can only envision what the masses think. *heavy sigh*
I'm sorry you feel that way. Its a tough call morally and ethically. I mean Babe Ruth and Ty Cobbs weren't choir boys and yet they are legends of the Baseball Diamond. When I think of Tyson, I think of the young buck from Brooklyn who destroyed his opponents with his magnificent uppercut and made boxing mainstream in the late 1980s. I try not to think of the loose cannon freakshow that he has become. Where does actions outside of the ring start to affect his legacy inside of it. This not an easy dilemna.

While I am by no means defending his actions, something to consider is that he did serve his time and did not beat the rap like so many other superstar athlethes (*oj cough*).

All I know is that as a fan of the sweet science, I would like to see him in the game. A game titled "Tyson Bar Room Brawler" or "Tyson's Ear Chomping Road Rage" would clearly be appalling.

Chi
Old 03-02-2005, 01:17 PM   #6
EnduroGamer
Just Passing Through

Rep Power: 28 EnduroGamer is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

Frankly, I'm damn glad Tyson isn't in the game. A RAPIST should be given NOTHING, certainly not more money or recognition. Jesus, that's just one more thing wrong with professional sports. Okay I should stop now.
Not to risk changing the subject, but there are convicted rapists in virtually every profession. Some are richer and more popular than others, but one can find a scumbag like Tyson in all corners of society. Also, for every Ron Artest or Mike Tyson playing professional sports, there are several who spend a large portion of their time and money on their own charitable foundations.

Just a couple that come to mind...
http://warrickdunnfoundation.org/programs.asp
http://www.moyerfoundation.org/
http://www.shaunalexander.org/

I'm not defending Tyson or other criminals/ex-cons but there is a lot of guys/gals out there putting their fame and fortune to some really good uses. That's all.

Back on topic, great interview Chi. I was watching some videos of this game the other night and I'll definitely be getting it eventually -- it looks great.
EnduroGamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2005, 04:50 PM   #7
Boy
Pictured: Hope not crying

Send a message via AIM to Boy

Quit defending your crappy sports, Enduro.
Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2005, 07:04 AM   #8
Hypatia93
Figuring It All Out

It's true, Chi. There are lots of oldies who weren't exactly the nicest of fellows, either. But the way media has developed has merged their character into one person. Before, (I believe) it was more the people "in the know," who better understood the true personality behind these sports stars, and children, at least, were better able to fantasize about their heroes.

Which reminds me. Damn it, Randy Moss is now a Raider. God I hate that guy; I don't care how good he is. And I guess he played college football for some podunk college team around here called Marshall back in day -- people say he was an ass then, and clearly, he hasn't changed a bit.

Anyway, I'm sorry for derailing your topic. Sports stars who get away with murder, literally, and less, and then are still hailed as heroes are just /one/ of my pet peeves about sports. That's one of the reasons I generally despise them so much (that along with the host of other pet peeves ).

So, truly, it was a great interview. Thanks for sharing. I'll certainly be picking it up in the used bin.
Theodore Roosevelt, 1918
Old 03-03-2005, 09:15 AM   #9
Chi Kong Lui
Next-Gen Site Owner

Quote:
It's true, Chi. There are lots of oldies who weren't exactly the nicest of fellows, either. But the way media has developed has merged their character into one person. Before, (I believe) it was more the people "in the know," who better understood the true personality behind these sports stars, and children, at least, were better able to fantasize about their heroes.
I don't quite understand your point.

Quote:
Anyway, I'm sorry for derailing your topic. Sports stars who get away with murder, literally, and less, and then are still hailed as heroes are just /one/ of my pet peeves about sports. That's one of the reasons I generally despise them so much (that along with the host of other pet peeves ).
This is not derailing the topic at all. I'd rather talk about these larger issues than go on and on about the haymaker punches.

Chi
Old 03-08-2005, 02:55 PM   #10
FidgetyAcolyte
64-bit Poster

Send a message via AIM to FidgetyAcolyte

In your opinion, based on gameplay, which do you think is a better game, Victorious Boxers or Fight Night: Round 2.
FidgetyAcolyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 03:03 PM   #11
Chi Kong Lui
Next-Gen Site Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by FidgetyAcolyte
In your opinion, based on gameplay, which do you think is a better game, Victorious Boxers or Fight Night: Round 2.
This isn't fair to VB since it was so ahead of its time. FN (both games) are clearly more well rounded in terms of gameplay, design, content and production values. The only thing that VB is probably still comparable is probably challenge. Otherwise, the Fight Night games outclass VB in just about every other way.

I'm still playing my way through Round 2, but the challenge in this game may be just as tough as VB.

Chi
Old 05-25-2005, 05:47 PM   #12
bejames
New Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by GC_Chi
This isn't fair to VB since it was so ahead of its time. FN (both games) are clearly more well rounded in terms of gameplay, design, content and production values. The only thing that VB is probably still comparable is probably challenge. Otherwise, the Fight Night games outclass VB in just about every other way.

I'm still playing my way through Round 2, but the challenge in this game may be just as tough as VB.

Chi
Hi GC community.
First I'd like to write I'm new to this site/forum and second I'm sorry for bumping this somewhat old topic, but I'd like to ask if any of you have played VB2? or HnI Allstars (yes, they're imports, but they're amazingly well done, well.. All Stars is more gameplay (then again, it was released like a whole year later) similiar to VB1, but VB2 career mode is just too overwelmingly good)

If anyone of you played VB2 (atleast) how would you compare it with FNR2? Would it be a first round KO (made you look horrible) Golota (being FNR2) - Brewster (being VB2) fight? or would you disagree whole-heartedly?

IMHO, FNR2's way over-rated, but that's just me.
bejames is offline   Reply With Quote