About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > Video Games Discussion > Next-Gen Console Games

Notices

Old 02-01-2011, 05:54 AM   #1
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Dark Souls (previously Project Dark)

Some information about From Software's follow up to Demon's Souls has been published in Famitsu and translated by adriansang.com.

The game previously known as Project Dark should become even harder than Demon's Souls. Exploration and learning from one's mistakes are focus again. It will get rid of the hub world, instead all the areas will be connected to each other and will be more diverse than in Demon's Souls. Also there will be more weapons and spells and an evolved form of the co-op experience that was found in Demon's Souls. World tendencies are gone however. It will come out on both PS3 and Xbox 360, unlike it's PS3 exclusive predecessor.

An open-world Demon's Souls with even higher difficulty. I'm in, who else?
Old 02-02-2011, 03:14 PM   #2
Librarian
New Poster

Re: Dark Souls (previously Project Dark)

I once almost considered buying a PS3 just so I could play Demon Souls, so I will definitely get this when it comes out for Xbox 360.
Librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 04:01 PM   #3
gokusrage
New Poster

That is hilarious, because I did buy a PS3 solely for Demon's Souls. Since I got the game in Oct '09, I've only purchased two other PS3 games, and neither is an exclusive.
gokusrage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 10:36 AM   #4
JLB1987
Sex machine

I wouldn't have bought a PS3 to play just one game (I don't think I can think of another single exclusive I'd be interested in...), but yes; it's great news this one is coming to the Xbox 360. I'll definitely be checking it out.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 01:00 PM   #5
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

For me it was definitely a reason to choose the PS3 over the XBox when I bought my console last year.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:18 PM   #6
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Hurray for mindless console wars
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2011, 11:55 PM   #7
JLB1987
Sex machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by abfackeln View Post
If it was (partly) aimed at what I said, I don't really see why; shouldn't the console one buys be based on it's game library? That's the only logical way on choosing which piece of hardware to own (well, that, and the fact that as someone who can't be arsed to connect their console to the internet, I believe the Xbox 360 to lose less due to being an "offline gamer").

Sorry if it wasn't even in response to what I said. But I completely agree, fanboyism is completely pointless. I don't understand how you can be a fan of a piece of hardware (especially when it's as faulty and unreliable as the Xbox 360 is, which is what I happen to own).

Last edited by JLB1987; 02-05-2011 at 12:05 AM.
Old 02-03-2011, 01:46 PM   #8
crackajack
64-bit Poster

The debut trailers looks good.
Never was convinced to get the predecessor but with the more colorful style this seems like a game i might try after all the praise the "series" got.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2011, 02:29 PM   #9
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

New trailer:

Coming in 2011 - if it's just half as good as Demon's Souls a hot contender for my GOTY

Quote:
Sorry that I simply don't have the money to just buy all 3 consoles of this generation and it took me until last year to finally afford a HD console plus HDTV
Old 02-03-2011, 07:44 PM   #10
abfackeln
Wanderer From Ys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
Sorry that I simply don't have the money to just buy all 3 consoles of this generation and it took me until last year to finally afford a HD console plus HDTV
Wasn't really pointed at you.

The 360 and PS3 have almost identical libraries. Both have a equally as good exclusives.
abfackeln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 03:36 AM   #11
ckzatwork
16-bit Poster

Too much sunlight on the trailer and screenshots. I want my entire Demon's Souls 2 to be as pitch black as World 3.
Old 02-05-2011, 08:36 AM   #12
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckzatwork View Post
Too much sunlight on the trailer and screenshots. I want my entire Demon's Souls 2 to be as pitch black as World 3.
I don't, for the same reason I felt CoDBlOps was rather stale: if the entire game is black as world 3 the area looses a lot of it's impact. Similar to the explosions and crashing helicopters in CoDBlOps loose their impact since they happen all the time (incidentally: why not take a look at my review of CodBlOps? ). If you have a few areas of light that feel (relatively) safe, the darkness has more impact as if everything would be pitch black.

btw. according to the designers there will be no safe haven in Dark Souls. Nothing like the nexus in Demon's Souls. Which of course makes me wonder if their playtesters never have a bathroom break?

Quote:
The 360 and PS3 have almost identical libraries. Both have a equally as good exclusives.
I don't think so. I mean: that comes down to personal taste, doesn't it? I could of course count up similar games like comparing Halo: Reach with Killzone 3 and then say it's pretty much even. However I never really liked Halo (not blown away by Killzone either, but that's not the point) thus it never influenced my buying decision.

However, I adored Demon's Souls from the first time I had a look at it and I don't know anything like it on the XBox. That doesn't mean that I hate the XBox or that I wish any Microsoft employee any harm. I would buy one if I would have the money left (which I don't). I also found Valkyria Chronicles very interesting, which you can't simply balance out with Gears of War (about which I simply don't care about) or Ninja Blade or whatever. Both platforms have really strong titles but in the end it's my personal taste that made me choose a PS3 and it's not a choice I made lightly.

I find it weird that just because someone doesn't run into the store to buy all major platforms is suddenly thrown into console warfare trenches. Do I have to write a huge disclaimer that I don't hate the other platforms and think they're perfectly viable in front of every posting from now on?
Old 02-06-2011, 09:42 AM   #13
JLB1987
Sex machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
I find it weird that just because someone doesn't run into the store to buy all major platforms is suddenly thrown into console warfare trenches. Do I have to write a huge disclaimer that I don't hate the other platforms and think they're perfectly viable in front of every posting from now on?
I know what you mean!! I don't get it so much on here thankfully, but it does seem to be the assumption that if you own one console other another, you're into said petty squabbling. Which is pointless. Then I feel I have to point out "I'm not a fanboy!", which probably makes it sound like I actually am...

If anything, I think the PS3 has a much better exclusives library than the Xbox, if just for Demon's Souls and the Ratchet & Clank series. The PC has The Witcher, another I really want to play, and... you get the idea. I'm digressing heavily now, perhaps someone should start a new thread on the subject.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:05 AM   #14
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

More on EG.net on my GOTY 2011

Not much written about magic yet, which I find a bit too strong in Demon's Souls. With a high enough magic attribute it's possible to pulverize almost every enemy without breaking sweat. I hope they balance it out a bit better this time.
Old 03-10-2011, 11:20 AM   #15
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Quote:
“I have no intention to make the game any easier,” he tells us. “In fact, I want it to be more difficult. The way I put it to my team is that we are trying to make the most difficult game it is possible to make, which at the same time can be conquered by those who persevere. It has to be firm, but fair.”
http://www.next-gen.biz/news/dark-so...-game%E2%80%9D
rejoice!