About Us | Game Reviews | Feature Articles | Podcast | Best Work | Forums | Shop | Review Game

Go Back   GameCritics.com Forums > GameCritics.com Discussion > Community User Submissions

Notices

Old 12-18-2008, 10:37 AM   #1
Kaostic
New Poster

Far Cry 2 - Rewrite

High: Vechiles are the biggest high point for me. How realistic they are & how they drive.

Low: Multiplayer was appauling in this game!

WTF: So an enemy is running towards me, I fired off 3 shots of a shotgun into his arm, The enemy stumbles & just keeps on running! I was like.. "Why do we not have these troops in our army!"

Far Cry 2 is the long awaited sort-of sequel to Far Cry 1. (although there have been extra Far Cry games, None can be called a sequel.) You begin the game in South Africa with a long interactive cut-scene which then quickly turns into an attack on you. You end up with Malaria in the middle of nowhere & you must work your way through missions (which mostly just include killing numerous amount of people, or blowing up certain objects) to find the notorious 'Jackal'.

I was very excited about getting my hands on this game from the videos on YouTube but when I actually got it, I was a bit disappointed. Although this game is extraordinary, it has many flaws in it. But first, lets talk about all its good features.

Although it is fun to grab the biggest gun I could find & blowing the enemies heads off; I didn't have to do this in Far Cry 2. If you are like me, then you will want to try the more stealth attack, using the sniper rifles & silenced weapons to there fullest creeping around & picking off enemies one by one. One of the best things about this game in my view is the independence it gives the gamer. You choose what you want to do & what, even though sometimes it does force you to do some missions you get to choose when you want to them & how.
The thing that Ubisoft have promoted the most about this game is the fire in it. "Play with the most realistic fire ever seen in a game" - Taken from the back of the case. This statement is very true as in game, I could wipe out complete villages with just a Molotov Cocktail or a Flare gun.
The vehicles in this are extremely fun to drive & very realistic. I did not believe the amounts of times I had to get out of my car/boat & repair the damned thing as they break down so much from gun damage.
One very big thing I also liked about this game was the accents. I know this is not part of the game but I know I am not the only person that adores the South African accent!

No matter how good this game is, there will always be downsides to nearly every aspect too as no game can be perfect, can it?
I complimented the fire in this game greatly, but there is a thing that annoys me a lot too about it, I burnt down a whole forest with a single Molotov Cocktail & then it will suddenly stop burning! I was like "..What?!".
One of my biggest criticisms about the game is the AI, although very well made, the biggest flaw I saw was that for some reason they can see me by one shot I made. If I let off a shot & then moved you would think that they would go to where the shot was but no, They just followed me around till either they or I was dead! Very irritating.
Also I have a big 'No No' about the silenced weapons. Silenced weapons are suppose to be silent, not attract attention. So far the only weapon I have found that does this is the Dart Rifle. The SILENCED mp5 & SILENCED pistol attracts attention as if I was using a Light Machine Gun!
Another thing that irritated me about this game was the strong accents that some of the characters have. I couldn't understand a word that they are saying & the subtitles are fairly hard to see (not as bad as Dead Rising but still!). Big down point for the hard of hearing.
The repetitive of the missions gets very annoying. "Kill this man", "Destroy this thing", "Make this man talk then kill him!" over & over & over. Fair enough there may not be a lot I could have done in the way of Missions for South African terrain but hey, I would like to be able to skin a few animals or fetch some water for a man.. Even the mundain tasks are sometimes best!
A big disappointment for me was the multiplayer modes. These are not well made at all, The Map maker function is good yes, but does not make up for how bad the multiplayer is. It is very hard to connect to a good server & then not an enjoyable experience.

I did get confused a lot by this game by when I am just standing in front of a friendly NPC they will just drop dead right there & then. Or I will just hear a truck pull up & the driver already be dead! I was getting incredibly confused when this continuously happened. Also another problem with the NPCs was that I could walk through some of the Watch Posts (where loads of enemies are) & there will be no sight or sound of anybody. I would walk in most of the houses, nothing. Then I would come across a building with 4 enemies crouching down in the corners facing the walls. I walk in & still no response at all. Shoot one, still nothing! Then I would walk outside & there will be one standing there with a shotgun in my face, dead.
Some of NPCs are built like tanks, I can shoot them in the leg, chest, arm, wherever & they will not be affected at all! This is suppose to be a realistic game, How can I shoot somebody in the chest or face & they do hardly anything..

Although this review does contain a lot of criticisms of the game, the high points do not dim the game for me at all. It is the funnest game I have played this year! It is a very good game & I would give it:
7/10 for the Single Player Campaign but a
2/10 for Multiplayer. Disappointing.

Disclosure: This game was obtained via Play.com for xBox360. I haven't completed it yet but it has taken me about 12 hours to do 68% of it!

Parents: The ESRB have rated this game an '18' & with good judgment! This game includes a lot of bad language & violence.

Deaf & Hard of Hearing: The vocals are well done but sometimes the accents are a bit strong. The subtitles are manageable but a tad hard to read sometimes, depending on the background terrain. The enemies do talk a lot & other noises do help gameplay but it is nesessary. I would not advice it for Deaf or Hard of Hearing customers.
Kaostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 10:45 AM   #2
Kaostic
New Poster

Re: Far Cry 2 - Rewrite

It is not changed that much, But yeah
I tried to take your notes into it.
Kaostic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 05:26 PM   #3
Mike Doolittle
Telling people how it is

Send a message via AIM to Mike Doolittle

Alrighty dude, I'm going to tackle this one for ya and try to show where your writing needs to be stronger.

* Still lots of second-person references, i.e. "You end up with malaria", "if you are like me", "let's talk about its good features", etc.

* I would have liked to see more exposition on the game's premise. I could figure it out since I'm writing the official review for the game myself, but had I not played it I would have been a bit confused as to what the game is actually about.

* Wussy lead-ins are bad. For example, instead of saying, "One of the best things about this game was..." and then saying it, just say it.

* Stay away from casual wording, abbreviations and slang ("&", "I was like...")

* You said you didn't like the multiplayer, and you thought it was so bad that it deserved an exceptionally low 2 out 10, which usually denotes fundamentally broken gameplay, bugs, etc. But you didn't really expound on the multiplayer at all. I didn't get any sense of why you didn't like it, how much time you put into it, etc. etc.

* Aaand lastly, be a little more mindful of grammar, spelling, and syntax. Paragraphs seem to break arbitrarily, capitalization appears out of nowhere, etc.

So, my humble advice. You seem like a young guy who's really enthusiastic, and you've got a healthy enough interest in writing reviews to give it two heartfelt tries here. That's good, that's really good. But at this stage of the game, I think you'd benefit more from spending a lot more time simply reading reviews. Go over to edge-online.com and read as many of their reviews as you can stand. They have exceptional writing over there. Think hard about the differences between your reviews here and the Edge reviews, and of course spend plenty of time reading reviews here. Pay attention to the structure, the concepts, the way ideas are articulated.

I also think it's a good idea to just brainstorm ideas for reviews. So instead of writing a whole coherent review from start to finish, just keep a Word document open or something and whenever a good idea or concept pops in your head, write it down. It doesn't matter if it has any connection with any of your other ideas. I've actually written most of my reviews by just basically writing whatever comes to mind, then gradually editing and organizing it. If you practice this, you'll start to get a better sense for what kinds of concepts work, and what doesn't.

My MySpace Page
My Gaming PC Blog

Last edited by Mike Doolittle; 12-21-2008 at 05:28 PM.
Mike Doolittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2008, 09:24 AM   #4
Jason Karney
Pixel King

That's some great advice from Mike.

And let me compliment you on doing a re-write. So many people think you can write once and that's it. But editing is usually required, and it's admirable that you accepted the feedback and were willing to quickly turn around a rewritten doc.

--Jason
Jason Karney is offline   Reply With Quote