View Single Post
Old 12-15-2013, 05:40 AM   #7
Pedro
64-bit Poster

Re: Best Games of 2013

Crackajack

It would be interesting to see how your views differ on Dark Souls from myself, Li-Ion and Brad. Brad said on a podcast that the open world thing just did not work for him - that you couldn't believe that all these bosses and factions were 'smooshed into the same small world like a chocolate layer cake'.

You will have to check it out some time.

Worst Game of the Year
The full page ads on RPS reminded me - I want to change my vote from Tomb Raider to Kenshii. It is an un-game. Even more so than Tomb Raider. Buyer beware.

Weird Podcast of the Year
Dylan's ousting was a weird one. I re-listened to his podcasts over the last while on my commute and he was great.
However, I have to give this to the Sports Game podcast, in which none of the panellists seemed to have played a sports game in the last 10 years (slight exaggeration, not much) and even when they did, they uniformly cheated, cheesed, and acted the bloody maggot for the entire game Never change, GameCritics.

Speculation on the GameCritics game of the Year

This could be potentially very interesting, given the new blood in the podcast.

What we know:

Brad's choice usually wins, with support from Mike and/or Daniel.
You can win with two votes.
Chi and Richard are usually split along similar but different lines.
The winner is usually a zombie game.

Speculation:

So, ZombieBrad is in the running with a strong stable of zombie games this year. TLOU, State of Decay, loads of other shit no doubt.
Daniel, though his review read negatively, gave TLOU an 8/10.

So TLOU is an early leader for me, with the potential to only need one vote from Dan/Mike and possibly get two.

State of Decay is a strong contender, but will rely on the other two having played it. Dunno if they have.

From a Chi/Richard point of view, a lot hinges on whether Michael Cunningham is on the Xmas podcast (probably not?), in which case it could be some obscure JPRG taking the honours (Chi + Michael).

But there is also a wild card this year, in Sinan. No idea what he likes, but I think he's firmly in the JRPG camp, so we could easily see something along the lines of Pokemon X+Y being voted in.

Richard has only really played LoL this year, from what I can tell, so his vote may not be worth much.

Wait....I'm pretty sure he has played the latest Batman game, and it could garner support from Brad and Dan....so that could be a favourite too.

An interesting year then. I'm guessing

1. TLOU
2. Batman
3. Obscure JRPG/DS game
4. State of Decay
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote