View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 10:24 AM   #5
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Re: the videogame crash of 2013?

I think the most telling line in John Riccitello's email to staff was,

Quote:
You are now generating more revenue on fewer titles by making EAs games better and bigger.
I was a bit surprised by that; why would you be proud of producing fewer games? However, I guess when you are dealing with those sums of money, this is the only business model that makes sense...you need to reduce the risk. See also Ubisoft, who seem to be making the same game every time (Assassin's Creed, Far Cry 3) - I admit though that this is hearsay because I haven't played any AC games since the first one left me in a boredom-induced coma.

It's an exaggeration to say that we can strike the big companies off the list if we want meaningful gaming experiences - 2K, for example, are still making good games. But anything that requires a big marketing budget in order to sell 2-5m copies has to make concessions in that it has to try and appeal to everyone.

I'd be one of the people that would advocate indie/15$ games that last a few hours and deliver interesting experiences. We did see Sony embrace that model last year with some interesting games of that type showing up on PSN, and maybe with the new PC-architecture we'll see more stuff from the PC Indie scene coming across.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote