View Single Post
Old 04-04-2013, 11:05 AM   #7
Pedro
128-bit Poster

Re: the videogame crash of 2013?

Hah, I actually started a thread like this yesterday, before deciding it was all too complex and scrapping it.

On a personal level, I have bought one game from 2013 so far this year. This is highly unusual, but there just haven't been any games released that appeal to me. So here you have someone who spends a lot of time gaming, ready to throw money at games, and hasn't found anything worth buying.

Of the AAA market as a whole, of course we don't really have any solid data as to what makes a game profitable etc. As Mike's review of Dead Space 3 outlines, there seems to be a move towards homogenisation in Triple A - and of course we've seen before that risks don't pay off (Mirror's Edge). I knew I wouldn't be buying DS3 once I finished 2, and there are loads of other franchises that have just run out of steam for me.

As regards the industry as a whole - here is a business that has free advertising (the gaming press), committed developers happy to work constant crunch time for the love of their games, massively profitable digital distribution channels, free money from kickstarters etc.... and it still can't make money on games? Still subscribes to a business model where they bet the farm that their next game will be a hit? Studios constantly closing or begging for cash from their fans? The whole thing is dysfunctional.
Pedro is offline   Reply With Quote