View Single Post
Old 08-23-2012, 07:37 AM   #81
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Re: What Are You Reading Right Now?

Finished a couple of books:

State of the Art and Excession by Iain M. Banks. The first is a couple of short stories in the Culture-universe, the latter the culture-series' equivalent of A Space Odyssey. Well worth the read.

Die Brüder Himmler - Eine deutsche Familiengeschichte by Katrin Himmler (the brothers Himmler - tale of a German family). The niece of Heinrich Himmler tells the story of her family, and how what she found out was different from what her parents and grandparents were telling her growing up. Recommend it.

Der General der toten Armee by Ismail Kadare. An Italian general goes to Albania in the 1960ies, in order to bring back the dead servicemen from WW2 that were lost and buried there. Turns out much more difficult than it sounds. Liked it a lot, despite the grim subject matter.

Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. Got interested by the hype around Spec-Ops the Line. I found the biography of Joseph Conrad more interesting to read than the book itself.

The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway. Apparently he got his Nobel prize in literature pretty much for this book. I don't really understand why I'm afraid...