View Single Post
Old 06-01-2012, 08:45 PM   #256
JLB1987
Sex machine

Re: Last movie impressions

Tricked into watching The Lovely Bones by my woman, who used the old "We'll watch it for ten minutes and I'll turn it over to something else" trick (which she had also used the previous night, getting me to watch Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers. More on that in a moment...) Actually really enjoyed it. The film is narrated by a girl who is murdered near the start of the film, and goes to a place that seems to be in between Earth and heaven, as she is unable to let go of her past. She befriends another young lady in the afterlife, who tries to persuade her to move on to her next destination. Meanwhile, her family falls apart- The mother is emotionally unable to cope, and the father is obsessed with finding the killer. The murderer, a neighbour of the family, is wonderfully played by some dude I've never heard of before, such a brilliant character.

Part of me wonders, as someone who likes my fiction grounded firmly in reality, whether the film (which, I know, is based on a book), would have been better off as a straight drama, rather than one narrated by some chick who's in heaven. I don't know... but I did enjoy it, and it's certainly different, so I'm glad I've had the chance to see The Lovely Bones. Think I'll have to watch it again to decide whether I think it's a really good film, or it's ok, but not for me.

Enjoyed Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers more than I thought I would. Never read the books, never had much interest in a generic fantasy world (and, let's face it, LotR is the originator of the generic fantasy world, in many ways), but this film held my attention, and I am eager to see the whole trilogy. Don't have much time for the characters of Frodo and Sam, but the didn't take up as much screen time as I'd feared. I feel I'd need to watch all three films to form a solid opinion, but the fact that watching the second entry of the series has got me wanting more is very encouraging.

On a related note, I find it very difficult to take Sir Ian Mckellen seriously since his appearance on Extras -
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote