Old 01-23-2012, 07:18 PM   #74
JLB1987
Sex machine

Re: What Are You Reading Right Now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro View Post
Hi, JLB! Long time no see.
Thanks

Re-reading my collected volumes of Garth Ennis's comic book, The Boys, as I've recently ordered the new volume but it's been a while since I've read any. Such a great comic book. Basically Marvel/ DC heroes put into an adult world. So you have all these people with these amazing powers, but are corrupted by human nature (as they probably would be in real life). The eponymous Boys of the title are a gang of similarly super-powered heroes, who regulate them.

It's all very silly, which ruins any illusion of "what if there really *were* superheroes in real life?", with lots of crude/ adult/ dark humour, but I wouldn't change this. However, the characters are where it shines, for me. Often very obvious parodies of established Marvel/ DC superheroes, you have the Homelander, who is The Boys' equivalent of Superman, but driven insane with power, and Tek-Knight, who is basically Batman with the urge to fornicate with things he *shouldn't* have the urge to fuck, amongst many, many others. Most of the characterisation is a bit thin, but then, when so many are being introduced in such a short space of time, this is to be expected, and most of them are interesting enough that this isn't too much of an issue. Certainly, for some of the sillier characters, this is a blessing.

I'd recommend it if you like comic books, but not in the traditional sense. The humour isn't for everyone, but it's definitely my second favourite comic book series ever (after Garth Ennis's The Punisher Max).

Last edited by JLB1987; 01-23-2012 at 07:24 PM.
JLB1987 is offline   Reply With Quote