View Single Post
Old 11-23-2011, 03:01 AM   #10
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Re: please rate this op-ed piece: “Cinematic” is not a good thing for games...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomRob View Post
I'm not talking mainstream, Cracka. I'm talking about a movement to bring EVERYTHING down to mainstream.
And i'm arguing that 100% mainstream never was and will be able to exist because there are always people not liking mainstream, or just have seen enough of the same thing, so there is demand for something different. And this was and will always be filled. In any media.

Quote:
and profited not so much
If games are getting really too dumb and enough are fed up by that, there will unavoidable be a correction, triggered by our wallets. Sure.

But at the moment there are huge profit suckers and only some gameplay experiments that cost more than their success justifies (some do well of course too sometimes).
Low cost Indie do well and the average hype games do also well.
Were is the flatline?
FPS-shooters are quite equal in their mechanics since their beginning. And after round about 20 years of successfully selling pretty much the same game, it survived an entire generation, you think CoD/CS/Doom/Serious Sam will ever flatline? Just because the bombast seems like to replace/overwhelm the gameplay nowadays, which is still there, imho pretty untouched?

Quote:
on the new young directors.. Spielberg, Lucas, Coppola, Scorsese.
in the last decades we got David Fincher, Zack Snyder (at least i like his works), Christopher Nolan, Guillermo del Toro, Tom Tykwer, Darren Aronofsky, Frank Darabont, Fatih Akın, Joe Wright or Ang Lee and definitely some other talented guys.

It's yet not proved if they become Spielbergs (i do not think he is that great) or rather more a Lucas type with decreasing praise (although i like the new trilogy too) but beside Michael Bay, Tony Scott there is a constant refreshment of new blood and risk in investing in their ideas.

In gaming some new people start in the indie scene now and are certainly the new game designers of big games in the future. Maybe Jonathan Blow or whoever might make Uncharted 6 some day. Just an idea.

Last edited by crackajack; 11-23-2011 at 07:44 AM.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote