View Single Post
Old 10-31-2011, 05:52 AM   #64
crackajack
64-bit Poster

Re: What Are You Reading Right Now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Li-Ion View Post
Fahrenheit 451, 1984 and Brave New World.
I'd put We - Yevgeny Zamyatin on the top of the list.

the Neuromancer trilogy is fun
and the Hitchhikers Guide definitely is more genuine fun

Just finished Bram Stokers Dracula
I was quite surprised how awkward it handled the vampires powers and limits.
Van Helsing is sort of Fox Mulder sometimes, knowing everything on anything paranormal and that was a little weird. Explaining a bit more why (or that it is proven to work due to romanian peoples tales) eg garlic bans Vampires, why the count can't enter without being invited and stuff like that seem to appear out of nowhere.
Those are things known today as Vampire "facts" because of exactly this and following books, but why wasn't it treated with more detail and care? He learned those things from some colleagues and he has an open mind, of course, but taking them as facts sometimes without any proof when at the same time fear was described felt silly. I would not trust so open minded some tales if my life is at risk.
Also the personal entries in each of the protagonists diaries lack some sort of individual writing.
Good ideas but no really good writer at work.

Started The Divine comedy from Alighieri
Either my lacking English skills fail completely or the first few dozen pages where really about nothing i can understand. I guess i have to switch to Die göttliche Komödie if i want to get any meaning.

Last edited by crackajack; 10-31-2011 at 05:54 AM.
crackajack is offline   Reply With Quote