View Single Post
Old 10-04-2011, 04:32 AM   #38
Li-Ion
Space Pirate

Re: Dark Souls (previously Project Dark)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kin Korn Karn View Post
Okay, I'll bite. Let's hear it.

I'm actually curious, seeing that both games are not yet out how one could have an opinion one way or the other. I'd venture in order to have an opinion you'd have to be a fanboy, be it for Dark Souls or Skyrim. Wouldn't you?
The 'top 5' was in course in reference to the already infamous trollbait opinion piece on ign. That said, I would be surprised if I could get much of enjoyment out of Skyrim.

I let the shock pass before I proceed talking

My antipathy towards Skyrim is founded on my experience with previous Bethesda games, mainly Oblivion and Fallout 3. I notice that those games were (and are) in the top-lists of many people, including critics, and won several GOTY awards, probably for good reason. That doesn't change the fact that I just don't get along with them. I got bored out of my mind in the desert wasteland just after leaving Megaton in Fallout 3 and my experiences with Oblivion are well documented in these forums.

I recognize the vision ans scope of what Bethesda is trying to do, but it just doesn't work for me. I got disappointed by Fallout 3 and even more by Oblivion after playing for about 20 hours. Those games are in great company, next to e.g. GTA 4 and GTA Chinatown Wars, two other games everyone seems to love but I don't get along with.

So it's less 'trololololo skyrim sux lol' fanboy banter, more my general incompatibilty with RPG by Bethesda. I hope I made my experiences and disappointment with Oblivion clear in the other thread and don't expect Skyrim to completely change the formula Bethesda RPG have been working by.

Dark Souls on the other hand seems to be an evolved Demon's Souls, which still is my favourite game of this console generation. That they add nice bonuses for pre-order and don't have any 10$ online pass or day1-dlc shenanigans just scores them some extra points in my book.